5016Re:New to this Group, and Marbling, but not to Handcrafts

  • Sue Cole
    Jan 29, 2009

      --Alt-Boundary-31781.401918031
      I built most of my trays from old pieces of paneling that I salvaged that someone had
      thrown out for the bottoms and lathe or 1 x 2's for the sides. Then I lined them with a
      double layer of 6 miil visqueen (clear plastic). I also use clear plastic box frames for
      photos from Michaels Crafts Store, which are perfect. They are in sizes from 5 x 7 to
      16 x 20 and are relatively cheap. I've also used thrown out cookie sheet - jelly roll
      pans if they are not rusted.

      Instead of lining things with plastic, you can also seal all the edges with aquarium
      sealant, then spray paint them white with Krylon or something. I made my own tools
      from corrugated plastic like they use for making signs, then putting pins in them and
      duct taping them.

      This article from Wet Canvas is very good and shows the tools:
      http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2330/463/index.php
      I've printed out a lot of things and have them in a notebook to refer to.

      Otherwise, you can buy starter kits of tools for not too much from either
      www.volcanoarts.biz or from Galen Berry at http://marbleart.us/ I also learned a lot
      by myself from looking up marbling on Google and watching videos on youtube, like
      this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54OILOfT1bs&eurl=http://www.f by
      these two marvelous ladies from Australia.

      I've bought almost every book that exists on marbling and 2 dvd's. I've only been
      able to take one lesson from a "real" marbler and have had to learn the rest by
      myself because almost no one here does it. I've become somewhat obssessed by it
      and now make papers and marbled silk scarves.

      Hope this helps,
      Sue

      --Alt-Boundary-31781.401918031
      pieces of paneling that I salvaged that someone had
      thrown out for the bottoms and lathe or 1 x 2's for the sides.  Then I lined them with a
      double layer of 6 miil visqueen (clear plastic).  I also use clear plastic box frames for
      photos from Michaels Crafts Store, which are perfect. They are in sizes from 5 x 7 to
      16 x 20 and are relatively cheap.   I've also used thrown out cookie sheet - jelly roll
      you can also seal all the edges with aquarium
      sealant, then spray paint them white with Krylon or something.  I made my own tools
      from corrugated plastic like they use for making signs, then putting pins in them and
      face="Times New Roman" size=3>
      of tools for not too much from either
      www.volcanoarts.biz  or from Galen Berry at http://marbleart.us/  I also learned a lot
      by myself from looking up marbling on Google and watching  videos on youtube, like
      this one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54OILOfT1bs&eurl=http://www.f  by
      exists on marbling and 2 dvd's.  I've only been
      able to take one lesson from a "real" marbler and have had to learn the rest by
      myself because almost no one here does it.  I've become somewhat obssessed by it

      --Alt-Boundary-31781.401918031--
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic