      From: Thomas D' Aquin <oilonwater@...>
      Subject: RE: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on Fabric
      To: marbling@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, June 10, 2008, 2:10 PM

      hello Gretchen, a few months ago you posted a message abojut an art exebition
      iin
      which you had several framed marblings, and which you were very disappoin ted.
      I would like to tell you about an art exibit whbich I went to aboujt twenty
      yhears ago in san diego.
      the exibit consisted of aboujt thirty framed paintings wbhich the
      artist listed as
      acrilic on paper. Over half the paintings were sold ast very good prices.
      the sizes were from 24 inches to over six feet. the artist was a lady fron
      Encenites, an upscale beach town n orth of san diego
      the lady's husband was a well known sports annojuncer. What was n ot m
      entikoned at
      the exibit was that the technique was marbling, which was very obvious to
      anyone
      familiar with this art.
      at that time, about 1989, marbling was not yet common knowle3dge.
      So, Gretchen, If you still hnave your framed marblings, try again to en
      ter an
      art exibit and instead of "marbling" use the word
      "floatation" as your technique.
      T. viavant

      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.comFrom: fine_artist2002@...: Sun, 1 Jun
      2008 13:47:16 -0700Subject: Re: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on Fabric

      Interesting Linda and shes right. Most quiters are still afraid ,and aquate
      marbling with dying. I bumped into Micheal Kensington, who&nbsp;been doing
      lots of venues for years selling things made out of&nbsp;marbled silk. Its
      hard work...&nbsp;But perhaps you'll make some fabric for your projects
      and will not have the hassle of "marketing" Good luck to all!
      Gretchen--- On Sun, 6/1/08, Linda &lt;marblers2008@...&gt;
      wrote:From: Linda &lt;marblers2008@...&gt;Subject: [Marbling]
      Re:Marbling on FabricTo: Marbling@yahoogroups.comDate: Sunday, June 1, 2008,
      9:40 AMHi all - as someone who has marbled only fabric for over 16 years, let
      mechime in here - quilters love the fabric, but generally they want it
      forpennies. Most quilters are not willing to spend seven dollars for a
      fatquarter, 12-15 for a half yard. They equate it to dyed fabrics. We've
      lostout on doing classes because the quilters have said they don't want to
      doanother "dye" class. So prepare yourself for a lot of
      education.Putting your fabric in quilt shops - owners are even stingier - you
      arelucky to get it in on consignment, and owners are convinced they have tosell
      everything at twice what you are asking - so even if you wholesale atfive
      dollars a fat quarter, the shops want to sell it for 10.Also, I spent a year
      preparing for International Quilt Market, wanting tosee how the fabric would
      go. NOT ONE shop owner was willing to pay thewholesale price of $4 for a fat
      quarter, as they said they couldn't resellit for $8. Not a lot of
      originality on their part. Plus, having to have alarge inventory almost takes
      the joy out of marbling. And the distributors(which is how you want to go)
      wouldn't even stop and discuss.We have been successful getting our work in
      books and in juried shows, butthese are finished fiber art pieces. EXCELLENT
      art quilters will spend themoney (we currently have a half-yard of marbled silk
      going for 22 dollars onebay), but you can't support yourself on
      that.Don't want to burst a bubble, but you need to be aware of the market -
      andthis is experience talking. That said, I'm happy to answer any of
      yourquestions.Linda in Tucson-- Unique Fiber Art and Hand-Marbled Fine Art
      FabricsMarble-T Designhttp://www.marbledf ab.comCheck out our eBay
      auctions!http://members. ebay.com/ aboutme/marblers 76Blog: http://marbledmusin
      gs.blogspot. com[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      <*> Your email settings:
      Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
      (Yahoo! ID required)