4455Re: alum, alum, and more alum.

  • pauliquann
    Dec 14, 2007
      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "enidadams" <enid@...> wrote:

      > > I've been hoping to figure out another local or at least non-
      > shipping source of alum. could you explain your type of farmer's/
      > garden center alum to me--Is it sold under the name Alum?
      > >
      > > Looking forward to your reply.
      > > Thank You, Paulette Quann
      >

      > Hi Paulette and Jake, and Marblers everywhere,
      >
      > I believe there is no difference chemically, with the aluminum
      > sulfate in the fertilizer section of the farmer's supply and from a
      > marbler's supply. My 4 Lb. bag contained small pellets vs. powder
      > form, somewhere between powder and crystal to dissolve. After I
      made
      > a point to correct my spelling in the earlier post, I realize
      either
      > spelling may be used, so look for aluminum sulfate or sulphate. In
      > the same section, I also found urea in small bags, in case you use
      it
      > in your dyeing. If you don't see either on the shelf, you should
      > ask. With Jake's links in Spanish, you may be able to ask
      questions
      > about its availability more easily. You may find a 25-50 lb,
      bucket
      > like Jake bought.
      >
      > Lawn and garden section at Home Depot may have it but if there is a
      > farm supply or nursery closer, you might check them first. Or
      check
      > with a local landscape company. Also, if you marble on methyl
      > cellulose and ammonia is difficult to come by, you could substitute
      > soda ash to raise pH for dissolving it.
      >
      > Jake,thanks for the links. I used potassium aluminum sulfate in
      the
      > past because that's what Pro Chem carries, and I was ordering size
      > from them. I am trying Jaquard's methyl cel for the first time
      > today, which is finer according to an old post from Gail
      MacKenzie.
      > I hope that means no tiny islands!
      >
      > Paulette, invite me for a visit to sunny Mexico in the bleak
      > midwinter and I will come with a suitcase full of marbling and
      dyeing
      > supplies ;)
      >
      > Good luck! Enid
      >
      > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Benson" <jemiljan@> wrote:
      > > Enid- I bought a 25 lb bucket of aluminum sulfate from McMaster
      Carr
      > > several years ago. It's now about $30.
      > >
      > > http://www.mcmaster.com/
      >
      > > Is there some compelling reason that you need to use Potassium
      > > Aluminum Sulfate? and Pauli, Here are the Wiki articles in
      Spanish:

      > > http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumbre
      > > http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumbre_pot%C3%A1sico
      > > http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfato_de_aluminio
      > >
      > > Hope this helps!
      > >
      > > Jake Benson
      > >

      > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "pauliquann" <pauliquann@> wrote:

      > this cool, damp weather. I have been using potassium aluminum
      > sulphate ...garden centers
      > > >

      > > > Dear Enid:
      > > >
      > > > WOW! is your post timely! I live in Mexico (moved to San Miguel
      > de Allende, Mexico a year ago from NYC) and having supplies shipped
      > here is so incredibly expensive, I still have a hard time getting
      > over
      > > > it!!!! So while I've discovered soda ash can be purchased at a
      > pool supply store (I also shibori dye fabrics, hence the need for
      > soda ash)
      > > > I've been hoping to figure out another local or at least non-
      > shipping source of alum. could you explain your type of
      > farmer's/garden center alum to me--Is it sold under the name Alum?
      > >
      > > Looking forward to your reply.
      > > > Thank You,
      > > > Paulette Quann

      Dear Enid and Jake:
      Thank you both so much for the great information regarding alum.
      I will begin looking immediately. My daughter is arriving Tuesday
      from San Francisco with two 5-lb bags from Dharma Trading
      for which I've been holding my breath! I hope they don't red-light
      her at customs in Mexico. The bags will definately look suspicious!
      Jake...a 25 lb bag find sounds amazing! Now if I could find Methocel
      from a local (or even close-by) Mexican source, I'd be in marblers'
      heaven! I will read the articles now. Thanks again.
      Warm Regards,
      Paulette

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic