4453Re: alum, alum, and more alum.

  • enidadams
    Dec 12, 2007
      > I've been hoping to figure out another local or at least non-
      shipping source of alum. could you explain your type of farmer's/
      garden center alum to me--Is it sold under the name Alum?

      > Looking forward to your reply.
      > Thank You, Paulette Quann

      Hi Paulette and Jake, and Marblers everywhere,

      I believe there is no difference chemically, with the aluminum
      sulfate in the fertilizer section of the farmer's supply and from a
      marbler's supply. My 4 Lb. bag contained small pellets vs. powder
      form, somewhere between powder and crystal to dissolve. After I made
      a point to correct my spelling in the earlier post, I realize either
      spelling may be used, so look for aluminum sulfate or sulphate. In
      the same section, I also found urea in small bags, in case you use it
      in your dyeing. If you don't see either on the shelf, you should
      ask. With Jake's links in Spanish, you may be able to ask questions
      about its availability more easily. You may find a 25-50 lb, bucket
      like Jake bought.

      Lawn and garden section at Home Depot may have it but if there is a
      farm supply or nursery closer, you might check them first. Or check
      with a local landscape company. Also, if you marble on methyl
      cellulose and ammonia is difficult to come by, you could substitute
      soda ash to raise pH for dissolving it.

      Jake,thanks for the links. I used potassium aluminum sulfate in the
      past because that's what Pro Chem carries, and I was ordering size
      from them. I am trying Jaquard's methyl cel for the first time
      today, which is finer according to an old post from Gail MacKenzie.
      I hope that means no tiny islands!

      Paulette, invite me for a visit to sunny Mexico in the bleak
      midwinter and I will come with a suitcase full of marbling and dyeing
      supplies ;)

      Good luck! Enid

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Benson" <jemiljan@...> wrote:
      > Enid- I bought a 25 lb bucket of aluminum sulfate from McMaster Carr
      > several years ago. It's now about $30.
      >
      > http://www.mcmaster.com/

      > Is there some compelling reason that you need to use Potassium
      > Aluminum Sulfate? and Pauli, Here are the Wiki articles in Spanish:
      >
      > http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumbre
      > http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumbre_pot%C3%A1sico
      > http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfato_de_aluminio
      >
      > Hope this helps!
      >
      > Jake Benson
      >

      > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "pauliquann" <pauliquann@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "enidadams" <enid@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I ran out of alum and felt the great need to marble today, in
      this cool, damp weather. I have been using potassium aluminum
      sulphate ...garden centers
      > > > Enid Adams
      > >

      > > Dear Enid:
      > >
      > > WOW! is your post timely! I live in Mexico (moved to San Miguel
      de Allende, Mexico a year ago from NYC) and having supplies shipped
      here is so incredibly expensive, I still have a hard time getting
      over
      > > it!!!! So while I've discovered soda ash can be purchased at a
      pool supply store (I also shibori dye fabrics, hence the need for
      soda ash)
      > > I've been hoping to figure out another local or at least non-
      shipping source of alum. could you explain your type of
      farmer's/garden center alum to me--Is it sold under the name Alum?

      > Looking forward to your reply.
      > > Thank You,
      > > Paulette Quann

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic