4452Re: alum, alum, and more alum.

  • Jake Benson
    Dec 11, 2007
      Enid- I bought a 25 lb bucket of aluminum sulfate from McMaster Carr
      several years ago. It's now about $30.

      http://www.mcmaster.com/

      The only thing that I find is that after dissolving, it needs
      straining from a little bit of sediment.

      Is there some compelling reason that you need to use Potassium
      Aluminum Sulfate?

      I've just found several interesting articles on all the various forms
      of alum:

      http://www.questia.com/library/encyclopedia/alum.jsp
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum_sulfate
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potash_alum

      I think the only alum to avoid for use a mordant is Ammonium alum

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_alum

      and Pauli, Here are the Wiki articles in Spanish:

      http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumbre
      http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumbre_pot%C3%A1sico
      http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfato_de_aluminio

      Hope this helps!

      Jake Benson

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "pauliquann" <pauliquann@...> wrote:

      > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "enidadams" <enid@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I ran out of alum and felt the great need to marble today, in this
      > > cool, damp weather. I know better than to waste time and silk with
      > > alum that has been sitting in solution several months, since colors
      > > tend to be pale. I found my local farmer's co-op carries it in 4
      > lb.
      > > bags for $7.50, saving both shipping costs and waiting. I have
      > been
      > > using potassium aluminum sulphate and am hoping the size will last
      > > longer without the addition of the potassium to accelerate growth
      > of
      > > bacteria or otherwise interfere.
      > >
      > > I couln't find anything on a local source in a search of the
      > archives,
      > > but at least the archives kept me out of the grocery store and from
      > > resorting to ammonium sulphate. I have to thank the pop-up ad that
      > > mentioned garden centers for the idea. I hope my post helps
      > someone
      > > else with the urge to marble get right to it!
      > >
      > > Enid Adams
      >

      > Dear Enid:
      >
      > WOW! is your post timely! I live in Mexico (moved to San Miguel de
      > Allende, Mexico a year ago from NYC) and having supplies shipped here
      > is so incredibly expensive, I still have a hard time getting over
      > it!!!! So while I've discovered soda ash can be purchased at a pool
      > supply store (I also shibori dye fabrics, hence the need for soda ash)
      > I've been hoping to figure out another local or at least non-
      > shipping source of alum. Marbling is my love! But expenses are making
      > the relationship difficult.
      >
      > So could you explain your type of farmer's/garden center alum to me.
      > Is it sold under the name Alum? We have a Home Depot an hour away and
      > perhpas they might carry what you have described.
      > Looking forward to your reply.
      > Thank You,
      > Paulette Quann

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic