4451Re: aluminum sulphate: local source

  • pauliquann
    Dec 11, 2007
      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "enidadams" <enid@...> wrote:

      > I ran out of alum and felt the great need to marble today, in this
      > cool, damp weather. I know better than to waste time and silk with
      > alum that has been sitting in solution several months, since colors
      > tend to be pale. I found my local farmer's co-op carries it in 4
      lb.
      > bags for $7.50, saving both shipping costs and waiting. I have
      been
      > using potassium aluminum sulphate and am hoping the size will last
      > longer without the addition of the potassium to accelerate growth
      of
      > bacteria or otherwise interfere.
      >
      > I couln't find anything on a local source in a search of the
      archives,
      > but at least the archives kept me out of the grocery store and from
      > resorting to ammonium sulphate. I have to thank the pop-up ad that
      > mentioned garden centers for the idea. I hope my post helps
      someone
      > else with the urge to marble get right to it!
      >
      > Enid Adams

      Dear Enid:

      WOW! is your post timely! I live in Mexico (moved to San Miguel de
      Allende, Mexico a year ago from NYC) and having supplies shipped here
      is so incredibly expensive, I still have a hard time getting over
      it!!!! So while I've discovered soda ash can be purchased at a pool
      supply store (I also shibori dye fabrics, hence the need for soda ash)
      I've been hoping to figure out another local or at least non-
      shipping source of alum. Marbling is my love! But expenses are making
      the relationship difficult.

      So could you explain your type of farmer's/garden center alum to me.
      Is it sold under the name Alum? We have a Home Depot an hour away and
      perhpas they might carry what you have described.
      Looking forward to your reply.
      Thank You,
      Paulette Quann
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic