438Re: Photography for marbling

  • sidestreet@americanisp.net
    Jan 18, 2001
      >I am about to do that--put it
      > on slide film for portfolio. Anyone have good tips on how to go
      about this?

      Hi Jill,

      Photographing your work is a good way to archive it. The most
      permanent slide film is still probably Kodachrome, which takes special

      I suggest that you shoot outdoors. If you shoot indoors, you'll either
      need tungsten film and special photoflood bulbs or filters, which can
      distort color a little. Tungsten film is available from Kodak, Fuji,
      and others, but takes standard E-6 processing, and so is not as

      If you are shooting outdoors and don't want to use Kodachrome, I'd
      suggest either Kodak Elite or Fujichrome (both grocery-store film).
      Each will give you slightly different color rendition. If you want to
      try a professional film, both Fuji Provia and Velvia give beautiful,
      rich colors. I don't know if you are trying to record your colors or
      patterns or both.

      Try to shoot on a bright, cloudy day around mid-day. Tack or tape your
      paper to a board. You should be able to hand-hold the camera if you
      are shooting outdoors and get good results. Don't shoot in deep shade
      or in the evening -- your pictures will turn blue.

      Consider bracketing your shots. That is, shoot one at the recommended
      exposure, then one at one stop (or shutter speed) on either side of
      that. Professionals will shoot two pictures at half-stop intervals on
      either side. This increases your chances of good exposures.

      Once you have the slides back, store them in a dark, cool place and
      they'll last for decades.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic