      From: G. Dixon<mailto:gdixon@...>
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 9:53 PM
      Subject: Re: [Marbling] Indigo

      In defense of indigo, I have found it a valuable pigment for marbling and my preferred choice for blue. The shade can vary from pale to almost black depending upon dilution. It tends to be a hard, granular pigment and requires longer grinding and mulling than other pigments to make it useable, but when finely mulled I have had no problem with it running or staining. I have tried many different blues and still find that with indigo I can obtain the most uniformity and "old" appearance for Stormont and Shell patterns. It is also very good for mixing colors. Synthetic indigo is also available, although the color is not quite the same and so I have not used it and cannot say how well it makes a paint for marbling.

      Garrett Dixon