      From: Guffey<mailto:dguff@...>
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 12:22 PM
      Subject: Re: [Marbling] Very disheartened newbie

      I'll put my 2 cents in as well. I've been marbling since 1976 and have always used carrageenan (for years the dried form which had to be boiled and strained and now the blender type) and both Liquitex and Ultrecht acrylic paints. Out of curiosity, I tried some methyl cel the last time I marbled, and had two tanks set up (one carrageenan, one methyl cel). Using the same paints I couldn't get them to work on the methyl cel, and I had no trouble on the carrageenan. I don't know if I mixed the methyl cel correctly, or even if it was the right type of methyl cel (there are different chemical compositions).

      That being said, there are so many variables that only you can experiment with. Hard water, vs. soft; different colors of paint (some Liquitex colors work just fine, some either sink or chase). Even after you find a color that works, and buy it at a later time, it might not work as the company has changed the formulation.

      I know this must sound exceptionally frustrating for a newbie but once you get it to work it will be worth all the trouble. Perhaps those on this list who do use methyl can offer some advice, I know I'd like to know some hints so I can try it again.

      As a side note, I found there is no need to mix blender carrageenan the night before, or as some instructions say 24 hours in advance. I use an emersion blender (one of those hand-held types for mixing drinks) in a deep bowl with powdered carrageenan and blend for about a minute. CAUTION...be sure the blender is in the bowl and churning before you SLOWLY add the carrageenan, otherwise you'll just have a congealed mess. I think the "rule" of mixing the night before comes from the old boil & strain dried carrageenan times.

      Any other hints our list members might have will be greatly appreciated by all of us.

      Happy Marbling,

      d. guffey

      I know

      hic .