      From: sanpatty<mailto:sanpatty@...>
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 10:31 PM
      Subject: [Marbling] mixing paints

      Hello fellow marblers,

      congratulations on the wonderful examples of your work I've seen
      here.

      I've had very little success with a half dozen or so attempts at
      marbling...mostly the paints seems to mix too much with each other,
      the size seems to stick to my paper and the results mostly get
      washed off when I rinse off the size. I have been using water based
      acrylic paints on a carrageenan size and have been treating the
      paper with alum before laying it down. I have heard that soft water
      can affect the process, and I wonder if that's what's making my
      paints so hard to keep seperate. I'm confused because I know they
      are supposed to be thin enough to spread out on the surface, but I
      feel like if they're too think they don't leave a very bold
      impression on the paper.

      I just do this for fun, so although I have considered buying some
      paints specially mixed for marbling I'm worried that if it's
      something else in the process that's hindering my ability to make
      clear prints I will only be frustrated by the expenditure.

      Any ideas on how to accurately measure paints for mixing? The only
      thing I could think of is a small fairly accurate scale.

      Is it normal to find it this difficult to get decnt results?

      Any help would be much appreciated.

      Sincerely,

      Sanpatty