3543alum

  • blynnekelly
    Mar 29, 2006
      Hi Everybody, I am new to marbling and am stumped by the whole alum
      thing. I was experimenting with Masa paper and got some stunning
      results right away. Then I decided to read a book and follow the rules
      and put alum on the paper first. Now the paint won't stick to the
      paper!!! I thought alum was supposed to make the paint stick. I bought
      the powdered alum at Daniel Smith Art Supply and mixed it 1 Tablspoon:
      1 cup water. I heated it up a little until it was blended, then
      painted it on the paper.
      I used a carrageenan gel base and also am having one heck of a time
      keeping my colors from sinking. I have "The Ultimate Marbling
      Handbook" by Diane Maurer-Mathison and have read it.
      Lynne
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic