3528Re: NYPL digital collection

  • sixshort
    Mar 23, 2006
      Hi Katherine, Thanks for a very interesting collection of late 19th
      and early 20thC bindings and endpapers. It takes forever to go
      through all the examples. If anyone wants to see a few excellent
      examples, I have noted "Les Chevalier des Touches" (Tiger Eye); "Au
      Petit bonheur - comedie en un acte" (Figure 8 across a non pareil
      pattern); "Estampes at livres"; "Francesco Cenci e la sua famiglia"-
      (which shows a number of different styles of marbling in the
      endpapers).

      There are several beautiful examples of oil marbling as well as the
      above combed patterns,( "Flingot") and some gorgeous stylus patterns
      with added Spanish laying of the paper (Histoire de mes Betes).

      If anyone has the time, it is worth looking at all the examples.
      Happy computering, Joan Ajala

      "F--- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "katherine coddington"
      <kcoddington@...> wrote:

      > Being in Canada, I don't check out all the US sites, but a friend
      just
      > sent me a link to the New York Public Library Digital Collection
      and
      > suggested that the bindings in the Spencer Collection were
      > interesting. There are some marbled papers that are just
      beautiful --
      > there is one Tiger's eye that is amazing (should be called God's
      eye).
      > The specific link for that one is too complicated to post here,
      but
      > go to the main page:
      > http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/explore/dgexplore.cfm?
      topic=arts

      > Scroll down to the "French 19th-Century Bindings in the Collection
      of
      > William A. Spencer" about half-way down the page: it is definately
      > worth the browse.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic