3463Re: drying rack, was very large trays

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Feb 19, 2006
      Hi Dolores,

      this I find rather uncomfortable to think about. While the drying process is taken good
      care of, another aspect is left out of consideration: printing inks is only the smaller
      problem compared to the fact that newsprint is very acidic paper. Wetting it like in
      sandwiching it with freshly marbled sheets will make the acid wander into the marbled
      paper. Why bother about selecting base paper of conservation grade quality when
      acidifying it later? My restorer's soul hurts.

      Susanne Krause

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Dolores Guffey" <dguff@...> wrote:

      > This is how I dry my marbled paper, a method we used in a Don Guyot class
      > and I've used ever since as it literally takes up "no space." You need a
      > piece of Masonite slightly larger than the paper size you are marbling. Lean
      > it upright on the floor (I put newspaper underneath to catch any drips).
      > Now, hang two sheets of newspaper on the board anchored with clothespins and
      > attached your rinsed marbled paper to this with the clothespins then attach
      > two more sheets of newspaper. Continue to sandwich the marbled papers
      > between 2 sheets of newspaper until you have about 10 sheets of marbled
      > paper, at which time you can take them off as a stack and put flat down on a
      > surface until you are finished for the day. I put them on the floor in
      > front of my refrigerator (overnight) and as the fridge cyles off & on warm
      > air blows across the paper. In the morning the papers are nice and dry. At
      > the end of your marbling session re-stack the marbled papers with only 1
      > sheet of newspaper between them and let dry flat for 24 hours (the only
      > space needed is the flat surface taken up by the stack of papers).
      >
      > NOW, a word of caution. Newsprint has changed over the years depending on
      > what the printer is using... oil based ink, water based ink, or soy based
      > ink. It is best to use the oldest newspapers you've saved (rather than
      > "today's" paper) so that whatever ink used is as dry as can be. I keep a
      > stack of newspapers that are at least a month old to use for marbling. If,
      > by chance, a piece of newpaper sticks on your marbled paper, it can be
      > removed by gently using an eraser to rub over the newsprint...but, only
      > after the paper is thoroughly dry.
      >
      > Happy Marbling,
      >
      > d. guffey

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic