      From: G. Dixon<mailto:gdixon@...>
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, June 17, 2005 11:27 PM
      Subject: Re: [Marbling] Chemical names for Tiger Eye ingredients.

      The term Potash refers to a number of potassium compounds. Common potash, or potassium carbonate [K2CO3] is what is most commonly known as "potash" and it is relatively non-toxic and safe to use. Caustic potash is potassium hydroxide [KOH], and I have found it to be the best potassium compound for making Tiger eye pattern (and Schroetel as well as some other 19th century patterns based on chemical additives). This chemical, however, is equivalent to lye in its potency and must be used with care. Soda is sodium carbonate, also known as sal soda or washing soda (and in slightly more concentrated form known as soda ash). This is commonly available, particularly from dye sources (used with Procion dyes), and it is moderately caustic. Lime water is a solution of calcium hydroxide in water. This can be made by making a solution of common garden lime (predominantly calcium hydroxide which is also moderately caustic) and water (it dissolves quite poorly so about a teaspoonful in 100 m
      There are three problems in obtaining good Tiger eye patterns: the proper proportion of chemicals, creating sufficient surface tension on the size, and care of papers when lifted off the size. I have published on my website several formulas for Tiger eye, most using my own paints, but one that I have done using Windsor & Newton Lamp Black Gouache (www.marblersapprentice.com<http://www.marblersapprentice.com/>) which could serve as a starting point. Carrageen size has a low surface tension and this makes it difficult to control the pattern (Tiger eye was usually done on tragacanth or psyllium sizes which resist spread of paints much more than carrageen). Even a little extra gall in the paint can result in breaking up of the central eyes. You can increase the surface tension of the size or you can make sure enough other colors have been laid down first to resist the spread of the tiger eyes (but you have to test and adjust your eye mixture in the same way on the other thrown colors).
      Finally, these patterns were originally made on the other sizes mentioned and it was not typical to rinse the papers. Rinsing will wash away the eyes. Just take the papers off the size and allow to dry.
      As with most of the patterns that use chemical additives (Stormont, Shell, Schroetel, Broken and others), Tiger Eye requires a lot more patience, testing, and precision in mixing materials before throwing the paints down than other patterns, but it can be accomplished. I always had to laugh when after spending a year struggling to work out the formulae for Tiger Eye, I turned my attention to Schroetel pattern. Every time I threw the paints down these great tiger eyes would appear - they just weren't what I wanted!

      Garrett Dixon