2561Re: [Marbling] Fire

  • Jinny Boyce
    Sep 5, 2004
      Oh my what a terrible loss. To lose music in any way is a tragedy. I was brought up playing classical piano and my heart is heavy with sadness at the loss. Has the cause of the fire been determined? Hopefully all is not lost.
      Jinny

      hamburgerbuntpapier_de <hamburgerbuntpapier@...> wrote:
      A terrible fire has destroyed a great part of The Duchess Anna Amalia's Library in Weimar,
      Thuringia, Germany. About 30'000 books from 15th to 18th century were eaten by the
      flames, among them the Duchess's unique collection of 2000 musical manuscripts. Two
      manuscripts by Mozart survived only because they were part of a special exhibition resp.
      waiting for a reader in the readingroom.
      The library and its unbelievably beautiful rococo house was declared Heritage Of The
      World by UNESCO years ago. Now it is to be hoped that the roof will stay in its rightful
      place on top of the house instead of breaking down and destroying even more of the
      original building, and that it will be possible to get out the remaining 40'000 books that
      are drenched in water in order to have them deepfrosted as soon as possible to save the
      remains. The big, big painted ceiling is already lost forever, as well as dozens of valuable
      portraits and statues.
      Ironically, the whole library was to be moved in only five weeks time to a brand new, state-
      of-the-art underground magazine and the house restored.
      Weimar was Goethe's (and later Nietzsche's) town. The whole place breathes culture and
      history. If I imagine how it looks like where I have been and marvelled at sensational books
      and seen unearthed treasures of decorated paper, I could cry.

      Susanne Krause