2534Re: [Marbling] Marbling on Canvas

  • Laura Sims
    Aug 17, 2004
      Dear Caroline,

      True Blue Art Store in Asheville, NC, 828-251-0028 and
      Arrowmont School of Arts & Crafts, Gatlinburg, TN,
      865-436-5860 ext.25 (Bonnie) sell a close weave,
      smooth surface canvas that will work. As for silks,
      taffeta, Thai silks (not the company)and silk noils
      (raw silk) can be tricky, but the others work well.
      Thai Silk, 1-800-722-SILK is a good place to start.
      They have yardage and scarf blanks.

      I use Golden on methyl cellulose if you want to try
      that sometime.

      Good Luck, Laura
      Indigo Stone

      --- Brent Mydland <jbg78734@...> wrote:

      > You should have very GOOD luck using silk.
      >
      > It usually always works, its very expensive but
      > worth it.
      >
      > Remember not to iron or heat set until you have
      > nuetralized/removed the alum from the fabric or it
      > will turn into a strong acid and desinegrate the
      > fiber, just a slight hand wash shjould do it drip
      > dry.
      >
      > If your still not sure I can help ya make a nuertal
      > solution.
      >
      > Marble the silk and post the results! Cant wait!
      > enjoy!
      >
      > JBG
      >

      > Caroline Tigeress <c.tigeress@...> wrote:
      > Laura Sims wrote:
      >
      > >Hello Donna,
      > >
      > >A smooth surface canvas seems to work best. I do
      > not
      > >was the canvas, but lay it flat in a tray of alum
      > >solution (1/2 cup to 1 gal.). With my hand I press
      > >the solution into the canvas until no more bubbles
      > >come out of the canvas. Drip dry, iron and marble
      > >with acrylics.
      > >

      > I just tried it yesterday. It was not as
      > sucessful as I would have
      > liked, I used golden acrylics and carageenan. I was
      > wondering if anyone
      > has had any sucess in marbling silk?
      >
      > Caroline
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT