2515Re: humidity and marbling

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Jul 28, 2004
      Hi Dolores-

      Both humidity and temperatures give helping hands to chemical reactions, sl=
      owing or
      quickening them.
      I find the affects vary a lot with the patterns I make and the techniques I=
      use. Paste paper
      making is at its best with humidity above 70% and temperature below 25°C (p=
      aste dries
      slower and with less effects on the base paper), while sprinkling has its h=
      eyday below 50%
      and 18°C (airborn paints don't meet up with millions of droplets on their w=
      ay down to the
      sheet). My 'coldest' pattern is called 'Snowballs', I do it only on cold, d=
      ry, windless winter's
      days with the window open; and a woolen sweater beneath the overalls. Last =
      summer was
      exceptionally hot with temperatures round about 30°C and humidity below 50%=
      for weeks.
      I did not produce one single sheet during those weeks, the same applied to =
      my marbling
      colleague.

      A marbler from Mexico told he has a humidifier going while he marbles.

      I've heard colleagues talking about having air conditioning installed, but =
      I am not sure
      about the wiseness of the idea. Apart from the cost, air conditioning tends=
      to produce
      drafts, and that's about the last thing one needs.

      Paper decorating is done in various techniques in many places world wide, t=
      herefore the
      techniques seem to be adaptable to many climates. Provided the decorators a=
      re pigheaded
      and patient.

      Susanne Krause

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Guffey" <dguff@h...> wrote:
      > Hi
      >
      > I don't know about anyone else, but I have my best results when the humid=
      ity
      > is high, especially a cool rainy day. But then I have the advantage of
      > living in a very temperate climate where year round temperature is around=
      65
      > degrees (hottest official record of 86 degrees!) so I can't say how hot
      > weather and high humidity affect marbling. I use blender carraghean and
      > Liquitex acrylics with very fine results.
      >
      > D. Guffey
      > Eureka, CA

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic