      From: enigmaticmatrix
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 12:22 PM
      Subject: [Marbling] Marbling on Canvas

      I am totally addicted to marbling. I wish I had the knowledge to
      answer all the questions about marbling to help others. But I don't.
      People have been marbling for eons...

      As far as oil marbling goes, I tried it with the liquid oils also,
      and got the oil slick on the water also. I tried thinning the tube
      oils with mineral spirits, but they either made a big oil slick on
      the water or turned into little "boogers" and sank. Anyhow, I did
      give up because the fumes started to get to me.

      Which brings out my next point. Marbling with acrylic paints and
      watercolors is NOT toxic(as far as I know). Everybody's body is
      different, so I'm not saying that it's not possible for you to have a
      reaction. The methyl cel and carrageenan are used in certain foods.
      Acrylic paints are safe as long as you use caution while using them.

      The only thing I can tell you, especially if you have a lot of money
      invested in this art-form (as I do) is to experiment.

      I have wanted to marble on canvas for years, and actually tried it
      once about 10 years ago. That was my failure, I only tried it once.
      So, guess what I did? After TEN YEARS!!!! I marbled a piece of canvas
      yesterday. It didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, (it looked
      terrible) but I'm going to try again.

      It came out kinda interesting, but not all that good. It had lots of
      hesitation marks and air bubbles in it. When I rinsed it, the color
      rinsed away in unattractive splotches and left intense areas, and
      pale patches on the canvas.

      If anyone else tries marbling on canvas, let me know how it works for
      you.

      I believe the main thing about the art of marbling is to not give up.

      Donna