2411Re: [Marbling] Re: 1869's marbling description

  • Dave Allen
    Apr 13, 2004
      You can still buy those sprinkle ends for pop bottles from Regal. Actually all that was in the bottle was water used to dampen the clothes before ironiong before the days of steam irons. Putting them in a plastic bag after sprinkling them with water merely allowed the water to spread around a bit before ironing.My Grandmother used this system even after the steam iron came on the scene. Sometimes she would simply dip her hand in a bowl of water and flick it over the clothes as she put them in the plastic bag.
      Dave

      At 09:23 PM 4/13/04 -0700, you wrote:
      >Hi, I remember seeing my mother use the sprinkle bottle for ironing, but had never thought about it being starch. I believe the bottle was like a coke bottle or maybe, it was a coke bottle. I guess this was more than 30 years ago. It seems like she put the shirts in a plastic bag, as part of this process.

      David Allen
      840 Snowdrop Avenue
      Victoria, British Columbia
      CANADA V8Z 2N4
      (250) 888-9380
      http://www.webvictoria.com/beddall

      In a culture whose fundamental premise is that Paradise is
      permanently lost, the most subversive, dangerous, and
      revolutionary of all principles lies in the simple statement,
      'I have everything I need.'
      - Don Berry
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic