2232Re: Fix your troublesome size

  • Angela Drake
    Dec 11, 2003
      Gail,

      I have been using tap water with no trouble until a couple of weeks
      ago. I know the Ph is low because we have to adjust the water for
      our fish tank... hadn't considered it a problem for the marbling.
      Looks like I'll be purchasing some calgon. Thanks!

      Angie

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Gail MacKenzie <gailmackenzi@s...>
      wrote:
      > > Hello,
      > > I¹ve been away and seem to have missed the beginning of this
      thread, but here
      > > is my 2 cents. Alum contamination leaves jaggedly edges that
      resist being
      > > combed and leave ragged holes in the pattern...no lumps or
      bumps. You can
      > > sink the alum holes and spot clean the contamination with a piece
      of
      > > newspaper. Another problem may be the PH of the size and of the
      pigments you
      > > are using. They should be just about the same temperature and
      the same PH.
      > > Now your size PH can be tested with some PH tape (try your local,
      small
      > > pharmacy) as for the pigments, you¹ll need a PH meter or several
      pleading and
      > > insisting phone calls to your supplier to tell you what is the PH
      of their
      > > product. Here¹s where white vinegar, soda ash and ammonia come
      into play..to
      > > adjust the PH levels of your size. If you are using distilled
      water it will
      > > be around a 7 and this should work well with pigments that are as
      high as 9.
      > > What is your water source? Pure sodium hexemetaphosphate will
      soften your
      > > water but it will not change the PH. The powdered Calgon
      (scented somewhat)
      > > that you order from Benkiser will raise your PH. I also found
      out that is is
      > > a great for cleaning and polishing stainless ! Best wishes,
      Gail M.

      > > Dear Angela:
      > >
      > > I have made thousands of exceptional scarves with very
      few "seconds."
      > > Believe me, I have suffered through every problem there is.
      > >
      > > Try adding Calgon when the problem happens, with the broken
      pattern
      > > and white spots. (Cherry blossems is my cute name for this.)
      Dissolve
      > > a tablespoon in hot water and stir half into your marbling bath
      (about
      > > two gallons of size.) Test the size and if there is still a
      problem,
      > > add the other part of the dissolved calgon and test again. I think
      > > your problem will be solved. Once you know this, you can add
      Calgon
      > > (metaphosphate) before you begin marbling.
      > >
      > > There are chemical changes when alum gets in the size, but I have
      > > worked for many days makeing hundreds of papers just adding fresh
      size
      > > and also calgon. I refrigerate the size overnight to avoic
      bacterial
      > > degradaton, which also causes similar problems. (colors breakup.)
      > >
      > > Get Calgon (sodium hexemetaphosphate) from Pro Chemica, in
      > > Massechusetts, or from Rupert,Gibbon in Healdsburg. CA.I find it
      to be
      > > a true lifesaver. Saves one from throwing away that expensive
      carrageen.

      > > I do not use Spectralite, but usually if there is too much
      dissolved
      > > acrylic (and the surfaactant that is in it) the problem would be
      that
      > > the paints may start to sink and not spread ourt.
      > >
      > > Dry air is not the problem. I can do good marbling no matter what
      the
      > > temprature or humidity is.
      > >
      > > Water too can be a problem. It should not be acid or too mineral.
      > > Calgon solves this too.
      > >
      > > Your tools can be scrubbed with Dutch Cleanser and a nail brush.
      Rinse
      > > well. One can also use isopropyl alcohol for a quick fix. I do not
      > > think dirty tools is part of your problem if the tools and such
      are
      > > used just for acrylic. I usually only have to clean everything if
      > > want to use the setup for watercolor, which is not compatible with
      > > acrylic at all.
      > >
      > > Newspaper for skimming is not a problem chemically.
      > >
      > > Use not more than 1 tablespoon of alum per cup of water. Silk can
      be
      > > dipped and then put in the washingmachin spin dryer. This allows
      > > evenly alumed scarves, with less possiblility of alum dissolvingf
      in
      > > the size.
      > >
      > > Lay the scarf down, check that all areas have contacted the
      marbling.
      > > Remove the scarf immediately and do not allow the gel to drip back
      > > into the marbling tray. I drape them over a plastic pipe and rinse
      > > with gently running warm water from a hose. Do not bucket them to
      > > rinse as there is a good chance of pattern damage.
      > >
      > > Yours, Peggy Skycraft
      > >
      > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, DaveorRobin Olson
      <dave1robin@y...>

      Service