2225Re: [Marbling] Fix your troublesome size

    Dec 10, 2003
      Does all this just apply to acrylics? What about Calgon with watercolors?
      Not that I have any complaints.....sometimes ignorance is bliss. When I was
      figuring out marbling on my own with no one telling me right and wrong, I
      just merrily used my extremely hard tapwater for everything and it always
      worked. When I tried other things that were supposed to work they didn't.
      I'll try anything in an attempt to make things easier and better, but if
      anyone knows of the effect of these things on watercolor prior to my
      experimenting and wasting time and materials I'd be interested. I know
      Borax in the size is hell on my watercolors, as is water that comes from a
      watersoftener...things go pale and fuzzy. I have learned to make "just
      enough" size for the day though and have no interest in preserving it.
      After doing over 100 sheets it's shot anyway, full of filth and you can
      barely see anyway.

      iris nevins

      > Hello,
      > I¹ve been away and seem to have missed the beginning of this thread, but
      here
      > is my 2 cents. Alum contamination leaves jaggedly edges that resist
      being
      > combed and leave ragged holes in the pattern...no lumps or bumps. You
      can
      > sink the alum holes and spot clean the contamination with a piece of
      > newspaper. Another problem may be the PH of the size and of the pigments
      you
      > are using. They should be just about the same temperature and the same
      PH.
> [...]
      >
      > Try adding Calgon when the problem happens, with the broken pattern
      > and white spots. (Cherry blossems is my cute name for this.) Dissolve
      > a tablespoon in hot water and stir half into your marbling bath (about
      > two gallons of size.) Test the size and if there is still a problem,
      > add the other part of the dissolved calgon and test again. I think
      > your problem will be solved. Once you know this, you can add Calgon
      > (metaphosphate) before you begin marbling.
      >
      > There are chemical changes when alum gets in the size, but I have
      > worked for many days makeing hundreds of papers just adding fresh size
      > and also calgon. I refrigerate the size overnight to avoic bacterial
      > degradaton, which also causes similar problems. (colors breakup.)
      >
      > Get Calgon (sodium hexemetaphosphate) from Pro Chemica, in
      > Massechusetts, or from Rupert,Gibbon in Healdsburg. CA.I find it to be
      > a true lifesaver. Saves one from throwing away that expensive carrageen.
      >
      > I do not use Spectralite, but usually if there is too much dissolved
      > acrylic (and the surfaactant that is in it) the problem would be that
      > the paints may start to sink and not spread ourt.
      >
      > Dry air is not the problem. I can do good marbling no matter what the
      > temprature or humidity is.
      >
      > Water too can be a problem. It should not be acid or too mineral.
      > Calgon solves this too.
      >
      > Your tools can be scrubbed with Dutch Cleanser and a nail brush. Rinse
      > well. One can also use isopropyl alcohol for a quick fix. I do not
      > think dirty tools is part of your problem if the tools and such are
      > used just for acrylic. I usually only have to clean everything if I
      > want to use the setup for watercolor, which is not compatible with
      > acrylic at all.
      >
      > Newspaper for skimming is not a problem chemically.
      >
      > Use not more than 1 tablespoon of alum per cup of water. Silk can be
      > dipped and then put in the washingmachin spin dryer. This allows
      > evenly alumed scarves, with less possiblility of alum dissolvingf in
      > the size.
      >
      > Lay the scarf down, check that all areas have contacted the marbling.
      > Remove the scarf immediately and do not allow the gel to drip back
      > into the marbling tray. I drape them over a plastic pipe and rinse
      > with gently running warm water from a hose. Do not bucket them to
      > rinse as there is a good chance of pattern damage.
      >
      > Yours, Peggy Skycraft
      >
      > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, DaveorRobin Olson <dave1robin@y...>
      > wrote:
      >> > Dear Angela,
      >> > I also marble some scarves but I don,t think your
      >> > problen is limited to fabric marbling. I have had this
      >> > problem both with paper and fabric. I was told it is
      >> > contamination with alum. You need to clean your tank
      >> > better between scarves.Always use the directions on
      >> > the alum pakage to make your alum solution. This very
      >> > problem came up in a marbling workshop I took this
      >> > weekend .(paper)and I have given you the instructors

      Sender:
      sentto-412943-2232-1071100451-irisnevins=compuserve.com@...
      o.com
      o.com