2017[Marbling] Base paper/Surface

    Oct 17, 2003
      Thanks....I just rub a little parrafin...not to coat, just so the
      burnisher glides. They also used to rub a bar of soap across the paper,
      again just so the burnisher doesn't stick and rip the paper.

      No, I don't burnish if I can help it, just give the paper a good
      buffering with a woollen cloth or a bone (no plastics, no teflon)
      folder, depending what and whom I do it for.
      What I use depends on what is needed. Pure cleaned beeswax is nice, and
      it smells really good, mmmh, and in some cases can be added already
      while I prepare the paste. This was done in the 19th century (not with
      beeswax, though) and helps enomously with the buffering, the paper
      isn't pulled about so much. But the adding method has its limits and
      its drawbacks.
      What is very nice in some cases is a mixture of beeswax and carnauba
      wax with natural turpentine oil for a solvent. Was made for furniture
      restorers and makes a really sturdy surface that can be burnished as
      much as anyone can wish for. I use it for spine label paper and
      sometimes sprinkled paper. Very smelly, though, only to be used with
      the window wide open, and even then I stop after 15 sheets or so as I'm
      getting "drunk". The smell needs two or three days to evaporate from
      the paper.
      Susanne Krause
      <
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic