1892Re: Allergies

  • sixshort
    Sep 15, 2003
      -Thanks for all the replies re chemical hazards of handling paints,
      alum, solvents etc. I take the utmost care, always rub lanolin or
      barrier cream into my hands, wear dispoable latex gloves, take care
      not to inhale any powdered paints or alum etc. so will have to do
      some sleuth work to find out just what is causing the sneezing when I
      start working with the paints, opening jars and so on. Perhaps
      supermarket disposable gloves are not resistant to
      chemicals . . . . .
      I think that newcomers to marbling should be made aware of the
      potentially dangerous chemicals they will be using, and trained in
      the routine use of safety measures. Many of us have come to marbling
      with no previous training in such things, and only a hazy
      recollection of chemistry lessons at school. After a couple of years
      of marbling it finally dawned on me that I should take safety
      precautions seriously!-- Joan Ajala
      In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, irisnevins <irisnevins@c...> wrote:
      > Wonder why they use it in pickling then? I have been tasting my
      papers many
      > years, if I forgot to mark the alumed side!
      > irisnevins
      >
      > Message text written by INTERNET:Marbling@yahoogroups.com
      > >Gail MacKenzie <gailmackenzi@s...> wrote:I am glad that alum, as a
      > hazard, came up. Ask for a safety data sheet
      > from your supplier. It will tell you that alum should not be
      inhaled, wash
      > off skin immediately and do not get it in your eyes. It is an
      irritant and
      > 1 scant teaspoon (you know it tastes like unsweetened lemon lime
      koolade)
      > is
      > a fatal dose for the average adult!!
      > <