1523using stencils, and or multiple layers

  • athena_2547 <athena_2547@yahoo.com>
    Jan 30, 2003
      Hi all,
      Sorry Ive been a bit of a lurker in the past, but I think this is a
      good point to pose my question. I have been working with
      waterbased pigments on carageen and mostly my own paper,
      but some printmaking papers. Since I am at an art school and
      desperately want to bring marbling into a new light ( since here it
      is seen as merely decorative ) I have been playing around with
      different printmaking techniques ( ex. monoprinting on top of the
      marbled sheet and letting the patterns and freestyle shapes
      suggest what the monprinted image will be) Longing for more
      control I was experimenting with cutting my own stencils out of
      printer paper and gluing them onto the sheet before it is
      marbled. This seemed to work allright until the glue dried and I
      was left with a partially glued stencil with marbling around it.
      Does anyone have any suggestions about glue mixtures that
      would hold to the surface enough to get straight lines, but weak
      enough so I could eventually take the stencil off? I am also
      interested in anyone's experiments in layering different patterns,
      does the surface need to be re- sized inbetween impressions?
      thanks
      ~ Melinda
      ( and to any of you who are also papermakers, Lee McDonald is
      going out of business, sad yes, but if you are in the north east,
      he's having a sale this friday and saturday in MA)
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic