Re: Digger's Arctic Game

  • diggerariel
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 2, 2002
      This is one of my very favorite posts of all-time. I just read it
      again & laughed throughout, because it truly was (for me) a "golden
      age" of gaming. The right place, the right time, the right people,
      the right gaming materials.... it's amazing how long stayed at such a
      high. As always, I'll mention again how it very slightly depresses
      me to read it as well due to not only being able to no longer game
      with such a great group but also not being able to find a gaming
      group at all in the area.....

      I wish I kept a more specific journal of the arctic campaign, so I
      could look back on it even better. Oh well....

      Digger
      remember, RubieS give good lucK

      --- In Maps_Gods_Stories@y..., "James " <jachrisman@c...> wrote:
      > The party started at the very bottom (Zero XP's) and were from the
      > same general area (somewhat like northern Canada to put it
      in "real"
      > terms). Snowshoes, yak, very small arctic towns, etc. Baphomet
      ran
      > a bard (don't recall if he picked a specific kit or not) named
      Ariel
> [...]
      their
      > growing up in the area (snowshoes, very warm & thick coats &
      > clothing, blankets, spikes, etc.), and they were able to scrounge
      > together a few weapons & armor (very low quality for the most
      > part.... hard to find great shops in such a remote area - though a
      > very good leatherworker/furrier was in their town - a couple of the
      > party members even worked for this guy & acquired the skill growing
      > up). They went out into the frozen tundra to make their fame and
      > fortune....
      > To add to the realism (this was throughout, up to the party's
      > gaining higher levels), I kept a daily log (30 days in advance) of
      > weather conditions, including temperature, snowfall & seemingly
      most
      > important WIND CHILL. There were MANY days that were SO cold that
      > the group could NOT travel, & some members at times took actual
      > damage from the intense cold (despite their arctic outfiting). The
      > extreme numbers (NEGATIVE 100 or lower wind chill at its worst) was
      > very memorable, caused a lot of laughter and fun, & made the party
      > really have to take into account ALL the elements that go along
      with
      > adventuring.
      > The area had a wide variety of arctic creatures (pretty much
      any
      > that I could find any of the Monsters Manual or Compendium), and my
      > challenge was the find things that would not just destroy the party
      > instantly. They encountered groups of wolves, winter wolves, and
      > oliphants, and often they stayed away and/or just flat ran away and
      > hid. When the group was around 3rd or 4th level, they got into a
      > battle with a few winter wolves & could not get away, so they had
      > fight. If you don't know, winter wolves are HUGE (4'-9' at the
      > shoulders) & are a high HD, so the party pretty much thought they
      > were dead (I honestly thought that it was about 80-20 advantage for
      > the wolves). A fierce battle ensued. Blood soaked the snow (I
      > decided that winter wolf blood was blue) as each side cut, clawed,
      > and bit each other during the first 4 or 5 rounds. We used the
      > individual crit & fumble charts (animal chart, blunt weapons,
      > piercing weapon, slashing, etc.) which created a number of very
      > interesting and varied results from each side of extremes. With a
      > few party members down (with only a couple having the fortune to be
      > bound to stop the bleeding) and a couple of winter wolves down, it
      > was down to 2 (maybe 3 - one of which was Ariel) party members and
      > one winter wolf - the party was much more injured than the wolf.
      > Then an incredible twist of fate happened - the wolf rolled a
      fumble
      > on a bite attack and in his rage (rolled of the chart for animals),
      > he BIT THROUGH HIS BACK LEG TO THE POINT OF USELESSNESS. Once 3
      > legged & in major shock, the party hit him a few times and got his
      HP
      > down very low, and the wolf actually began to whimper. Ariel's
      love
      > of animals (and with a ranger in the party) caused the party to
      stop
      > attacking. With the healing help of the party and the ranger, the
      > party now had a three-legged winter wolf seemingly loyal to them.
      > strong bond came about especially with Ariel Stormwind. [ I realize
      > winter wolf is techincally a monster not an animal, but I couldn't
      > let such a technicality get in the way of such an incredibly fun &
      > memorable encounter].
      > This was just ONE small segment of a huge campaign. As the
      > party gained more & more experience, their courage began to grow.
      > will not give all the details at this time, but they encountered a
      > non-trusting but eventually friendly eskimo village, ran into
      groups
      > of very driven oliphants (INT 13) that were very memorable, and had
      > many encounters with Frost giants. MANY other funny little
      incidents
      > occured as the party got closer (or least more used to traveling
      > together).
    • i_ate_breakfast
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 2, 2002
        Lets see, I remember my bard, Stormwind had the blade kit, so he
        could do the weapon display and a few other things, Donnies bard,
        Midnight also had the blade kit. I remember using a lyre of building
        to no end, building three story igloos each night for us to rest in
        and my snow owl familiar, Barney. Barney and I were killed by a
        shambling mound when we found the secret entrance to the valley
        heated by steamy geysers. I was reincarnated as a centaur for a level
        or two then finally got my human form back and I composed and
        performed a mournful ode to Barney whenever anyone would listen, lol.

        I remember Als ranger, Hawkwind, with the arctic warrior kit who was
        rejoicing when he got a ring of vampiric regeneration and then he had
        to turn it over to a white dragon as ransom for his life soon after.

        Eds fighter, Mortin, who killed a giant in a single blow with a
        spectacular crit.

        And the last game where we were all teleported to a tropical jungle
        covered island far to the south to sweat in our polar bear and winter
        wolf cloaks that we were so proud of, lol.

        What were Dave Loftins and Dave Hycners characters? anyone remember?
      • Ed Hays
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 2, 2002
          i remember hawkwind alright he was about 10 th or 11th and yelled at a white
          dragon well i had an extra character that day and someone who played had a 3
          rd or 4 th well anyways the dragon attacked and i ran ( i was 4th lvl ) so
          did the other guy well what i remember is al and the dragon fought the
          dragon ended up taking the ring of vamperic regenration and scratching a big
          A on hawkwinds chest . also i remeber when mortin and some others were out
          and i think i went ahead of the party and 5 frost giants attacked well i
          killed one and tyre the god i worrisheped bestowed a level on me well i
          ended up killing the other 4 and gained another level and i fought a couple
          of other battles with the frozen beast and gained a couple more levels well
          that gave me fame but at a price some frost giant lord put a bounty on my
          head of 1,000,000 gold pieces .the price of fame lol
          > Lets see, I remember my bard, Stormwind had the blade kit, so he
          > could do the weapon display and a few other things, Donnies bard,
          > Midnight also had the blade kit. I remember using a lyre of building
          > to no end, building three story igloos each night for us to rest in
          > and my snow owl familiar, Barney. Barney and I were killed by a
          > shambling mound when we found the secret entrance to the valley
          > heated by steamy geysers. I was reincarnated as a centaur for a level
          > or two then finally got my human form back and I composed and
          > performed a mournful ode to Barney whenever anyone would listen, lol.
          >
          > I remember Als ranger, Hawkwind, with the arctic warrior kit who was
          > rejoicing when he got a ring of vampiric regeneration and then he had
          > to turn it over to a white dragon as ransom for his life soon after.
          >
          > Eds fighter, Mortin, who killed a giant in a single blow with a
          > spectacular crit.
          >
          > And the last game where we were all teleported to a tropical jungle
          > covered island far to the south to sweat in our polar bear and winter
          > wolf cloaks that we were so proud of, lol.
          >
          > What were Dave Loftins and Dave Hycners characters? anyone remember?

          > also be sure to brush your teeth, oh yeah, and Digger said rubies bring
          good luck.

        • dirtkami
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 20, 2011
            Finally found a random eskimo town generator. Set it for Inuit | Thorp | Human
            Set the weather generator for Cold | Winter
            and set the encounter table for CR any | Climate Cold

            There you go, a 3.5 version of Digger's Arctic Campaign

            --- In Maps_Gods_Stories - Digger's version of his Arctic Campaign

[...]

            The area had a wide variety of arctic creatures (pretty much any that I could find any of the Monsters Manual or Compendium), and my challenge was the find things that would not just destroy the party instantly. They encountered groups of wolves, winter wolves, and oliphants, and often they stayed away and/or just flat ran away and hid. When the group was around 3rd or 4th level, they got into a battle with a few winter wolves & could not get away, so they had to fight.

            If you don't know, winter wolves are HUGE (4'-9' at the shoulders) & are a high HD, so the party pretty much thought they were dead (I honestly thought that it was about 80-20 advantage for the wolves).

            A fierce battle ensued. Blood soaked the snow (I decided that winter wolf blood was blue) as each side cut, clawed, and bit each other during the first 4 or 5 rounds. We used the individual crit & fumble charts (animal chart, blunt weapons, piercing weapon, slashing, etc.) which created a number of very interesting and varied results from each side of extremes. With a few party members down (with only a couple having the fortune to be bound to stop the bleeding) and a couple of winter wolves down, it was down to 2 (maybe 3 - one of which was Ariel) party members and one winter wolf - the party was much more injured than the wolf.

            Then an incredible twist of fate happened - the wolf rolled a fumble on a bite attack and in his rage (rolled of the chart for animals), he BIT THROUGH HIS BACK LEG TO THE POINT OF USELESSNESS. Once 3 legged & in major shock, the party hit him a few times and got his HP down very low, and the wolf actually began to whimper. Ariel's love of animals (and with a ranger in the party) caused the party to stop attacking. With the healing help of the party and the ranger, the party now had a three-legged winter wolf seemingly loyal to them. A strong bond came about especially with Ariel Stormwind. [ I realize a winter wolf is techincally a monster not an animal, but I couldn't let such a technicality get in the way of such an incredibly fun & memorable encounter].

            This was just ONE small segment of a huge campaign. As the party gained more & more experience, their courage began to grow. I will not give all the details at this time, but they encountered a non-trusting but eventually friendly eskimo village, ran into groups of very driven oliphants (INT 13) that were very memorable, and had many encounters with Frost giants. MANY other funny little incidents occured as the party got closer (or least more used to traveling together).
          • dirtkami

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 23, 2012
                Ahem, cough, cough...

                --- dirtkami wrote:

                > All righty then, I'm ready for a summer campaign of arctic adventuring
                > <hint hint Scott>

                Finally found a random eskimo town generator. Set it for Inuit | Thorp | Human
                Set the weather generator for Cold | Winter
                and set the encounter table for CR any | Climate Cold

                There you go, a 3.5 version of Digger's Arctic Campaign
              • Scott Plunk
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 23, 2012
                  OK, OK, I get the hint.  I'll see what I can put together for sometime in the summer that is arctic-based.

                  cough, cough......

                • nightflash30094@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 3, 2012
                    THE GREAT MORTAN GIANT SLAYER IS MISSING RUMORED TO BE CARRIED OFF BY 50 FROST GIANTS . Mortan was a ( i cant remember if a warrior or ranger ) but its rumored to have slain over 300 frost giants there was a bounty on his head by a frost giant king for 10,000 gold .

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 14, 2012
                      The town of North is carved into a hill beneath the ruins of an ancient city next to the Slager River. Under the town is a series of ancient catacombs where the honored dead of a race of bird men were interred long ago. Tengu pilgrims visit each year.

                      The majority of the citizens live and work underground only a small village sits atop the hill amidst the ruins of the ancient city.
                      In the evening when the sun is sinking low, the fog rolls in from the river and madmen begin screaming. Something hunts the surface ruins of North at night and only strangers and fools go into the streets at night.

                      North (ruined city)
                      LN Small Town
                      Corruption -2; Crime +0; Economy -4; Law -6; Lore -2; Society +0
                      Qualities: holy site, insular, notorious
                      Danger +30; Disadvantages hunted
                      Demographics
                      Government: Council of 6 family elders
                      Population 500 (300 nocturnal elves, 50 nocturnal gnomes, 100 arctic humans, 50 of other various races)
                      Notable NPCs
                      Duskwing family elder Dart Duskwing (LN male nocturnal elf rogue 8)
                      Burntfeather family elder Ill Burntfeather (LN male nocturnal elf rogue 7)
                      Nightskulk family elder Uncle Tongue-eater (CE male nocturnal elf bard 6)
                      Marketplace
                      Base Value 1,100 gp; Purchase Limit 7,500 gp; Spellcasting 6th
                      Minor Items all available; Medium Items 1; Major Items 0

                      North Folk

                      Table 1 Race (1d20)

                      1-2    Arctic Halfling (Table 2)
                      3-4    Arctic Dwarf (Table 2)
                      5-10  Arctic Human (Table 2)
                      11-13 Nocturnal Gnome (Table 2)
                      14-16 Nocturnal Elf (Table 2)
                      15-17 Neanderthal (Table 2)
                      18-19 Xeph (Table 2)
                      20     Gillman (Table 2)

                      Table 2 Occupation (1d20)

                      1-3 Pilgrim (Table 4)
                      4 Farmer (Table 4)
                      5 Merchant (Table 4)
                      6 Hunter (Table 4)
                      7 Carpenter/Builder (Table 4)
                      8-12 Reindeer Herdsman or Miner (Table 4)
                      13 Food seller (Table 4)
                      14 Animal handler (Table 4)
                      15 Garment maker (Table 4)
                      16 Weapon maker/seller (Table 4)
                      17 Cook (Table 4)
                      18 Jeweler (Table 4)
                      19 Guard (Table 4)
                      20 Character class (Table 3)

                      Table 3 Character Class (1d20)

                      1-2 Barbarian (Table 4)
                      3-7 Fighter (Table 4)
                      8-10 Ranger (Table 4)
                      11 Druid (Table 4)
                      12-14 Psion (Table 4)
                      15-16 Cleric (Table 4)
                      17 Sorcerer (Table 4)
                      18 Wizard (Table 4)
                      19-20 Rogue (Table 4)

                      Table 4 NPC Motivation/Action (d%)

                      01-03 Wants to buy something
                      04-06 Wants to sell something
                      07 Pursuing someone/thing
                      08 Being pursued
                      09-11 Needs information
                      12-13 Lost
                      14 Bad intentions
                      15-16 Asks for help
                      17-19 Wants to be hired
                      20-21 Wants to hire someone
                      22 Involved in a fight
                      23-26 Idle conversation
                      27 Mistaken identity
                      28-29 Wants PCs opinion on some issue
                      30-31 Opinionated comments
                      32-33 Rude comments
                      34-37 Curiosity
                      38-39 Unexplained interest
                      40-43 Eating
                      44-47 Drinking
                      48-49 Hates a character class (Table 3)
                      50-52 Hates a race (Table 1)
                      53-56 Practicing a skill
                      57-61 Accidentally bumps into PCs
                      62-64 Crowd forces NPC and PCs together
                      65-66 Asks for a favor
                      67-69 Drunk
                      70-72 Wants PCs to settle dispute
                      73-75 Loud argument
                      76-77 Being chased/attacked by non-monstrous animal (cat, dog)
                      78-80 Knocked over by someone else
                      81-83 Sleeping in inappropriate place
                      84-86 Being hassled by guards
                      87-89 Looking for lost item
                      90-93 Doing job
                      94-96 Compliments PC for some reason
                      97-99 Having pocket picked
                      00 Attacks PC for no apparent reason

                      Notable Places
                      1.

                      2.

                      3.

                      4.

                      5.

                      6.

                      North ruins at night CR 6
                      d% / Encounter / Avg. CR / Page

                      1–4 an angry penguin
                      5–8
                      9–16  2d4 ratfolk
                      17–24  2d6 tengu pilgrims
                      25–28 2d6 cultists
                      29–76 1d6 citizens /CR varies (see the tables above)
                      77–84 1d6 wights /CR 6 pg 276
                      85–86
                      87–92
                      93–94
                      95–96
                      97–98 ancient citizen of the original city / CR 9
                      99–100  1 caller in darkness / CR 9

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 25, 2012
                        Fighting at every meal to see if you are going to eat or be eaten is fun and while out having fun the rest of the tribe was killed or taken by slavers.
                        You kinda feel bad about not being there when the tribe needed you, but not really and that makes you feel bad too, but only kinda sorta...
                        Your head hurts from all this thinking, you should go fight a sabre-tooth reindeer or something.

                        Neanderthals

                        Amoukar
                        Male neanderthal barbarian (savage barbarian) 1 | Chaotic Neutral
                        Init -5; Perception -2; low-light vision

                         DEFENSE
                        AC 13, touch 12, flat-footed 11 (+1 dodge, +1 Dex, +1 natural)
                        hp 20 (1d12 +2 con +6 hardy)
                        Fort +4 | Ref +1 | Will +0

                         OFFENSE
                        Speed 40 ft.
                        Melee greatclub +7 (1d10+7, x2), power attack is +7 (1d10+10)
                        Ranged  spear +2 (1d8+5)

                         STATISTICS
                        Str 20, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 9, Wis 10, Cha 10
                        Base Atk +1; CMB +; CMD
                        Feats Power Attack, Cleave, Furious Focus.
                        Flaw Fucktard (-6 penalty to Initiative and -3 to Perception checks)
                        Traits Poverty-Stricken, Sacred Conduit
                        Skills 1 rank in: Climb (Str) +9, Knowledge (nature) (Int) +3, Perception (Wis) +4, Survival (Wis) +5, Craft (weapons) (Int) +3
                        Languages Common
                        Hatred Neanderthals receive a +1 bonus on attack rolls against goblins, kobolds, and ogres.

                        Equipment: fur pants, fur mittens, fur robe, fur boots, fur socks, hooded fur cloak, fur bag with some dried meat (also furry).
                        Masterwork Greatclub, 2 Spears.

                        Naoh
                        Male neanderthal barbarian (savage barbarian) 1 | Chaotic Neutral
                        Init -5; Perception -2; low-light vision

                         DEFENSE
                        AC 13, touch 12, flat-footed 11 (+1 dodge, +1 Dex, +1 natural)
                        hp 20 (1d12 +2 con +6 hardy)
                        Fort +4 | Ref +1 | Will +0

                         OFFENSE
                        Speed 40 ft.
                        Melee greatclub +6 (1d10+6, x2), power attack is +6 (1d10+9)
                        Ranged  spear +2 (1d8+4)

                         STATISTICS
                        Str 18, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 12
                        Base Atk +1; CMB +; CMD
                        Feats Power Attack, Cleave, Furious Focus.
                        Flaw Fucktard (-6 penalty to Initiative and -3 to Perception checks)
                        Traits Poverty-Stricken, Sacred Conduit
                        Skills 1 rank in: Climb (Str) +8, Knowledge (geography) +4, Knowledge (nature) (Int) +4, Perception (Wis) +4, Survival (Wis) +5, Craft (weapons) (Int) +4
                        Languages Common
                        Hatred Neanderthals receive a +1 bonus on attack rolls against goblins, kobolds, and ogres.

                        Equipment: fur pants, fur mittens, fur robe, fur boots, fur socks, hooded fur cloak, fur bag with some dried meat (also furry).
                        Masterwork Greatclub, 2 Spears.

                        Gaw
                        Male neanderthal barbarian (savage barbarian) 1 | Chaotic Neutral
                        Init -5; Perception -2; low-light vision

                         DEFENSE
                        AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 11 (+1 dodge, +2 Dex, +1 natural)
                        hp 20 (1d12 +2 con +6 hardy)
                        Fort +4 | Ref +2 | Will +0

                         OFFENSE
                        Speed 40 ft.
                        Melee greatclub +6 (1d10+6, x2), power attack is +6 (1d10+9)
                        Ranged  spear +3 (1d8+4)

                         STATISTICS
                        Str 18, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
                        Base Atk +1; CMB +; CMD
                        Feats Power Attack, Cleave, Furious Focus.
                        Flaw Fucktard (-6 penalty to Initiative and -3 to Perception checks)
                        Traits Poverty-Stricken, Sacred Conduit
                        Skills 1 rank in: Climb (Str) +8, Knowledge (geography) +4, Knowledge (nature) (Int) +4, Perception (Wis) +4, Survival (Wis) +5, Craft (weapons) (Int) +4
                        Languages Common
                        Hatred Neanderthals receive a +1 bonus on attack rolls against goblins, kobolds, and ogres.

                        Equipment: fur pants, fur mittens, fur robe, fur boots, fur socks, hooded fur cloak, fur bag with some dried meat (also furry).
                        Masterwork Greatclub, 2 Spears.

                        The adventure begins with a raid by human slavers on the Neanderthal tribe, who possess fire in the form of a carefully guarded small flame which they use to start larger bonfires. Obtained from a natural source, it must be fed constantly to keep it alive, for the Ulam (neanderthal tribe's name) do not know how to make their own fire. Driven out of their home after a bloody battle with the human slavers, the surviving Ulam escape but are chased into a marsh by a pack of wolves.

                        The Ulam fire tender escapes with the tribe's remaining fire, however after crossing a marsh, the moisture and wind douse the embers, leaving the tribe doomed to die from exposure and starvation. The Ulams refuse to resort to cannibalism and the elder decides to send three men, Naoh (Wes's dude), Amoukar (Oleg's character) and Gaw (Scott's character), out on a dangerous quest for fire. After a frightening encounter with a pair of saber-toothed tigers, the Ulam scouting trio enters territory of the Kzamm, a Neanderthals' tribe who have resorted to cannibalism, and capture members of the cro-magnon Ivaka tribe as victims.

                        When Gaw and Amoukar pretend to be berserker madmen, creating a ruse that causes the Kzamm tribe to scatter, Naoh manages to steal some fire, but not without being injured in a fight with two of them. One of his injuries is a bite to the genitals, and he spends a fair amount of time in visible agony from this. After killing his opponents (smashing a rock over the head of the Kzamm tribesman who bit his genitals) and disposing of the Kzamm's remaining fire in contempt, Naoh rejoins Gaw and Amoukar.

                        A young woman named Ika, an Ivaka prisoner who escapes with Naoh, follows them in gratitude, seeking protection. Despite attempts by Amoukar to drive her off, she follows, eventually taking advantage of a food-gather by Amoukar and Gaw to approach Naoh. She makes a primitive poultice (she is the only one with the heal skill), helping him recover from his injury. The four begin their trek towards the Ulam, followed by the Kzamm. Attacked by the hostile tribe, the group takes advantage of a wandering herd of wooly mammoths to make good their escape.

                        One day, Ika recognizes that she is near her home. She tries to persuade the Ulam trio to go with her, but either the men's sense of purpose or the lack of a common language with the woman (or perhaps both) keeps them together on their way back to the Ulam. However, when Ika leaves them the next morning, Naoh is upset; at first he continues without her, but finds he cannot stop thinking about her. He turns around, followed by the reluctant Gaw and Amoukar. After Naoh leaves the others to scout a village, he is trapped in a marsh, nearly sinking to his death, but is discovered and captured by the Ivaka.

                        At first, Naoh is teased and subjected to several forms of humiliation by the Ivaka, but eventually they accept him and show him their ways, initiating him into the tribe. Impressed by his physical features, they arrange for him to service all the high status women of the tribe who are large and big-breasted. The petite Ika is excluded from the services of Naoh by her tribe, and when she attempts to lay near him later that night, she is chased away by the other members of her tribe. They have atlatls (spear throwers), arts (body painting, huts, ornaments, primitive pottery), and most importantly, the ability to make fire. When Naoh is taught by Ika how to make fire, he is overwhelmed and his life is changed forever.

                        Growing impatient, Gaw and Amoukar go to find Naoh and are also captured by the Ivaka. During their ordeal, they are disturbed to realize that one of the teasers laughing at them is Naoh, initially unrecognizable as he now wears the full body-paint of the Ivaka. When Gaw and Amoukar begin their escape during the night, Amoukar tries to inform Naoh of their plan but Naoh is affected by a crude fermented drink that he had been given by the Ivaka, and is unresponsive to Amourkar. Frustrated from the day's events, Amoukar 'persuades' Naoh to come along by knocking him unconscious. Ika follows the trio and helps them escape.

                        On their way back home, the four run into a trio of Ulam hunters, led by Aghoo, Naoh's rival as dominant male of the tribe. Left by Naoh and Amoukar to guard the fire with Ika, Gaw is severely wounded in a fight with a mother cave bear, barely managing to escape. The other three members of the group find Gaw, and Amoukar carries him over his shoulder. When attacked by the Ulam rivals, the group uses several atlatls stolen from the Ivaka to dispatch their enemies. Thus the group demonstrates the advantages of embracing new technologies. Finally rejoining the Ulam tribe, the group present the fire to the delight of all. Creb, the fire tender, having been given the flame, prompts the tribesfolk into an outburst of joy. Due to the ensuing euphoria, the fire tender ends up falling in the water, extinguishing the fire.

                        The enraged tribe nearly kills the fire tender, until Naoh, Gaw and Amoukar restrain them and scold the group. Naoh then tries to create a new fire the way he'd been taught, by using some sticks, dung and dry grasses. After several failed attempts, the more experienced Ika takes over, carefully rubbing the dry sticks together. Once the spark is lit, the tribe is overjoyed, cheering and overwhelmed again.

                        Naoh discovers that Ika is pregnant with their child. Naoh caresses Ika while they both gaze at the brightly lit moon.

                        A month later an earthquake destroys their cave leaving them searching for a new home. Now the medicine woman of the group, Ika, discovers a cro-magnon orphan girl and asks permission from Naoh, to help the ailing child, despite the child being clearly a member of "the Others". The child is adopted by Ika and Naoh. The clan call her Ayla, because they can't pronounce her name. Immediately after Ika begins to help her, the clan discovers a huge, beautiful cave; many of the people begin to regard Ayla as lucky, especially since good fortune continues to come their way as she lives among them.

                        Ayla's is self-willed and spirited and leads her to break important Clan customs, particularly the taboo against females handling weapons, but tries hard to fit in with the Neanderthals, although she has to learn everything first-hand; she does not possess the ancestral memories of the Clan which enable them to do certain tasks after being shown only once.

                        Her main antagonist is Broud, son of the leader Naoh, who feels that she takes credit and attention away from him. As the two mature, the hatred between them festers. When they are young adults, Broud rapes Ayla, but she becomes pregnant, and rejoices in the birth of a son.

                        The adventure ends with Naoh's death, Broud's succession to the leadership, and his banishment of Ayla, who sets off to find other people of her own kind. She is not allowed to take her son with her. The separation haunts her with guilt and grief for the rest of her days.

                        Ok, not really, that's the plots of Quest for Fire and Clan of the Cave Bear.
                      • dirtkami
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 7, 2012
                          May sucked for gaming, not a single game, I'm feeling a little twitchy.
                          I wonder what we could play Saturday?
                          Any ideas?

[...]

                          Arctic Dwarves get a +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves made to resist the effects of cold weather or exposure in addition to regular Pathfinder dwarf traits.
                          Arctic dwarves must have a craft skill or profession skill to belong to a clan hall, otherwise they are raised as laborers and defenders of the hall and are referred to as 'Rocks'.
                          Rocks are looked down upon and wander from hall to hall or seek their fortune elsewhere. All metal armor, axes and hammers cost half as much for arctic dwarf characters.

                          Northmen
                          get a +2 to any physical ability score, otherwise, they have Pathfinder human traits.
                          Northmen can only be barbarians, rangers, druids or bards at the start of the game. Metal working is also unknown to the northmen tribes, metal items costs twice as much as normal.
                          Northmen speak their own language instead of Common, those with high intelligence scores usually learn Common.

                          Snow Leopards get a +4 bonus to Dexterity and a -4 penalty to Charisma.

                          Snow Leopards can only be barbarians or rangers.
                          Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
                          Base speed of 30 feet.
                          Darkvision 60 feet.
                          Snow Leopards receive a +4 racial bonus on Acrobatic and Climb skill checks.
                          Fey Blood: Count as both fey and animals for any effect related to race and take an extra point of damage from Cold Iron weapons.
                          Ferocity: Once per day, when brought below 0 hit points but not killed, they can fight on for one more round as if disabled. At the end of his next turn, unless brought to above 0 hit points, he immediately falls unconscious and begins dying.
                          Thick Fur: +8 racial bonus on Fortitude saves made to resist the effects of cold weather or exposure and Natural Armor +2.
                          Claws: 1d4 damage
                          Fangs: 1d6 bite damage
                          Languages: Sylvan. Those with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Aklo, Common, Dwarf, and Giant.

                          The Ice Queen became the leader of the dwarves of the Aisu Mountains long ago and united them into a single Queendom and subjugated the human barbarian tribes that dwell in the taigas and tundra along the coast.

                          The human tribes fish and hunt seals, whales and small game, they also sail in the spring to raid coastal villages and trade the dwarven weapons and white diamonds for iron ore at Ice People settlements and towns. They scorn armor other than leather but appreciate fine weapons and their trade with the dwarves keeps them supplied with the finest. The tribes supply the dwarves with furs and meat and also trade for them, the dwarves have an unreasoning fear of deep water and refuse to willingly board a ship of any kind. The humans here speak dwarvish and giant and the majority are Lawful Neutral.

                          For the protection of the Ice Queen against the Frost Giants each village must sacrifice a healthy child to her once a year. The children are raised in the icy catacombs beneath the Ice Queens palace, the conditions and training are harsh and only one in ten survive. They are raised as her servants and trained as masters of unarmed combat and unyielding discipline. The humans who survive to adulthood that show any magical talent are encouraged and trained in battle magic and necromantic secrets alongside dwarven adepts. (Humans raised here are Monks, Wizard/Monks or Enlightened Fists)

                          The Ice Queen surrounds herself with acolytes of a dark goddess of law, magic and death as well as adepts of necromancy, her consort leads the wizard guild and she has a personal guard of seven wights. The dead are given no rest, they are animated to work in mines, farming fungi filled caverns deep beneath the surface and as last ditch defense against possible Frost Giant raids.

                          Some suspect the Ice Queen of plans of attaining immortality through some necromantic ritual, none openly. Her enemies seem to quietly disappear, its whispered that one of the wights looks like old king Rathgore, others bear striking resemblance to missing rival clan lords.

                          Ice People - Tribes of barbaric humans live on an arctic taiga covered island across from the Ice Queens lands, they have pale skin, ice blue eyes and snow white hair. The Ice People trade iron ore for finished goods from the Ice Queen and follow the After Ragnarok Pantheon, they have their own language, Grall, most also know Giant and Worg. (Only the Barbarian, Ranger and Druid PC classes)

                          Totem Lands

                          A vast primeval forest where a tribe of wood elves through ancient rituals to forgotten elder gods became werewolves and led the other elves in a slaughter of all the non elves. They are the undisputed masters of the continent they live on and feared on all others. Other inhabitants include aurochs, mastodons, dire wolves & cave bears. The ruins of cities, castles, towns and villages and the undead are all that remain on the surface of non-elf races.

                          One such ruined city is occupied solely by vampires that must feed upon animals or in desperate times each other. They welcome slave caravans clever enough to by-pass the elves and foolish enough to enter their domains.

                          Beneath the ruins, deep underground, live duergar, their goblin slaves, and the parasitic kobolds that are occasionally rounded up & sold to the vampires. Besides selling kobolds, the duergar also forge silver & magical weapons for the vampires, these weapons although powerful, are enchanted so they can only harm elves & lycanthropes (+1 silvered with elf bane).
                        • nightflash30094@yahoo.com

                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 24, 2016
                                http://donjon.bin.sh/

                                AutoREALM

                                Dungeon maps for RPG. Create maps online, download as PDF and PNG.

                              • i_ate_breakfast
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 12, 2016
                                  saw another cool looking map maker
                                  World Machine
                                  Someone used it to map out the World of Greyhawk

                                  More map making stuff

                                  Terragen 3

                                  EarthSculptor

                                  PnP TerrainCreator

                                  Nem's Tools

                                • i_ate_breakfast
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 23 8:11 AM
                                    Digger's Arctic Macabre Nightmare
                                    D.A.M.N.
                                    Our arctic quest to seek and destroy an evil druid completed we found ourselves weeks away from any sort of settlement. Unable to find shelter we set out on the long journey to Wintzum. A few hours later we stumbled across a huffing grizzly bear in front of a cave, he slapped the ground and clacked his teeth and since we don't speak bear we prepared for a charge and the sorcerer zapped him with a magic missile.

                                    Since we didn't back off the grizzly obliged and charged, biting the sorcerer. As the party continued hacking the first bear to bits another grizzly charged out from the cave. As the first bear dropped and the party surrounded the second bear a group of four hungry orcs, four angry goats and a half-giant riding a dire goat appeared at the top of the hill.

                                    As the newcomers charged down the hill we finished off the second grizzly and backed up into a tighter formation. The sorcerer is also a cleric so he cast cure light wounds on an injured party member. The orcs and goats began surrounding and attacking the party. The half giant lost control of his dire goat who promptly ate one of three bear cubs who had come out of the cave to see what their ma and pa were doing.

                                    As we hacked and slashed the orcs and goats, the half-giant charged down the hill and leapt off his dire goat
                                    cartwheeling over our heads landing in the middle of our group flanking us all. His acrobatic display provoked an attack from the barbarian who proceeded to crit the half-giant showoff.

                                    The half-giant stomped the ground sending out a shock wave toppling two party members and two of the goats. The party focused their attacks on the half-giant and down he went. The clean up on the rest of the scum took a few rounds but the orcs were out of favor with the gods of luck. The orcs and goats did managed to knock the fighter unconscious three times but the sorcerer/cleric kept healing him.

                                    The party celebrated with bear steaks and subdued the two remaining bear cubs for pets...

                                    After gaining a level the party looked like this

                                    Sofa King the human fighter level 3
                                    Char the human barbarian/fighter level 2/1
                                    Two the ratling rogue level 3
                                    Haywood J. Blowme the gnome ranger level 3
                                    Prince OwlBearT the gnome sorcerer/cleric/bard level 1/1/1