Re: Dave's Campaign

  • Digger
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
      What's Dave's character's name?
    • i_ate_breakfast
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 10, 2001
        Well I went to Atlanta and played in the finale, I played Daermon,
        the younger brother of Daves character Andrew. The party found the
        gate they were looking for and the bad guys were there, an undead
        dude who was a monk/assassin, a flying wizard and an anti-paladin
        plus 10 cannon fodder dudes. Then on round four the demon prince of
        some level of hell popped up out of the gate.
        My character was a 9th level thief/ 1st level ranger with a potion
        of spider climb, a +3 dagger, a +2 rapier and a +1 suit of studded
        leather, Daves dude, a paladin, had a +5 defender, a holy pegasus
        warhorse and some kind of platemail that made him AC 30 or so.
        So the undead monk/assassin dude was immune to my sneak attack
        because he was undead, the wizard was flying so I couldn't reach him
        and the anti-paladin had on armor of... something that made him
        immune to sneak attack damage bonuses, I managed to hit him once for
        a big bad 1d6+4 damage. I also managed to hit a minion twice and
        since he had been hit by two fireballs already it dropped him, the
        other four rounds of combat I was moving towards opponents or missed
        badly. At the begining of my last round I failed a saving throw
        versus fear from the demon prince and had to run away for 15 rounds.
        So after the failed save I headed back to Augusta because the other
        seven rounds of combat had taken from 2PM until 7PM to resolve and I
        had not slept the night before and I really wanted a cigarette.
        The regular players all knew the bad guys by name and were very
        excited and were having a good time and they all kicked ass. After
        noticing how powerful the rest of the party was I wasn't really
        surprised the guy who normally plays the thief/ranger quit. The other
        players were friendly enough and worked together and luckily one of
        the players constantly corrected the DM and other players quoting
        rules throughout the session. I learned that you must be careful when
        you say the word 'flank' and that it was a waste of time to do a
        sneak attack from the side of an opponent, the rules about delaying
        your actions and that you can take a five foot maneuver away from
        five opponents who have you surrounded without incuring an attack of
        opportunity. Other than the rules guy, I had a good time and a lot of
        laughs, plus Digger was there and we hung out for an hour or so
        before the climatic battle.
      • DoppleGanger
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 15, 2001
          --- David Loftin <dloftin@...> wrote:
          > During a small town celebration exactly three days
          > to the hour of the
          > closing of the gate and during a small celebration
          > of that event, the
          > royal high priest of Heronieus is speaking to a
          > group of potential
          > converts and suddenly grows quite pale with fast
          > drops of cold sweat
          > appearing on his forehead. He suddenly falls to the
          > ground, many
          > standing away as other rush to aid him. Lying
          > completely motionless and
          > with eyes shut as if asleep the priest shouts as if
          > from a stone giant's
          > voice. "Not long after the eclipse of the two great
          > moon signs in the
          > mid spring will occur a great loss. But two great
          > forces will help in
          > mysterious ways and from all sides. By land and by
          > sea will they come.
          > For several nights the earth will shake, in the late
          > spring, two great
          > upheavals in succession will tear at the mother's
          > heart. War will be
          > aroused yet again by two men, valiant in combat.
          > One, whom neither
          > plague nor sword could kill, will die on a hilltop,
          > struck from the sky,
          > never to rise again. A great mourning will occur and
          > the abbot's heart
          > will be broken as he sees the people, ruined by the
          > great storm, trying
          > to hold the reef that should be avoided.
          > Then will the withered terrible hand reach down to
          > make his claim."
          >
          > After this the priest does not rise again for
          > several hours. When he
          > does he remembers nothing.
          >
          > David

          When Daermon hears of this portent he sets his half
          drunk ale aside and steps outside and contemplates the
          night sky. It looked so much clearer in his recent
          travels in the wilderness, he felt more at home there
          and often thought his travels would never end. He idly
          thought to himself during the past few days of
          celebration that each day he stayed here he grew
          weaker and each day his enemies grew stronger. All
          this finery and hoopla of being home again made him
          feel alienated and that was the reason he was drinking
          in the run down dockside tavern. His brother, Andrew,
          had found his place on the throne and he was happy for
          him but he was not content to stand forever in his
          shadow, this prophesy would be his reason for
          travelling again. The feel of the early morning salt
          laden breeze made him yearn for places unsettled by
          man across the sea.

          =====
          "its not easy making friends when you're a cannibal"
          -Ravenous

          or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
        • diggerariel
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 16, 2001
            Interesting Doppleganger.

            What kits (or whatever the 3rd edition equivalent is) are there for
            sea travelers? I would assume pirate. Swashbuckler? What's the
            latest list? Anything cool or interesting about sea faring skills
            and/or feats out of curiosity?

            Digger
            remember, Rubies give Good Luck
          • i_ate_breakfast
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 16, 2001
              In the book for fighters and monks they have a silly prestige class
              called the dread pirate, a blatant rip-off of the movie Princess
              Bride, the dread pirate Roberts. I was thinking of taking the shadow
              dancer prestige class, its in the DMG and it reminds me of some kind
              of BeeGees song, Disco forever!!! (just in case you were wondering
              I'm not really a disco fan). The Daermon character is a ninth level
              thief and a first level ranger, just so you know.