Manual of the Planes

  • James Chrisman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3 10:31 PM
      Well I got the 3rd edition Manual of the Planes book, one of the rare
      few that I didn't buy way back in first edition times. I love it, it
      kicks major buttocks!!! I'm so glad to see Asmodeus, Baalzebul,
      Mammon, and all the old first edition bad asses back again. There are
      a few changes in the politics of some of the lower planes, for
      example Tiamat no longer rules the first plane of the Nine Hells, she
      merely guards the way to the second plane. Poor old Moloch no longer
      rules the sixth plane of the Nine Hells, he defied Asmodeus in a
      failed rebellion and has fled, and Baalzebul has been transformed
      into a melted slug like form for his part in the rebellion. Over in
      the Abyss appartently Orcus got slagged but is back as a power of
      undeath called Tenebrous and has slain a few dieties (including a
      mind flayer god)wielding some ancient power. The encounter tables are
      really cool (hint, hint Digger) and I can't wait to take a mid level
      paladin filled with battle-lust down for a visit. The sections on
      creating your own planes and demi-planes are pretty cool as well,
      I've got lots of bizarre ideas spinning around in my head (and four
      Guiness extra stouts) right now. The monster section has some good
      monsters, one of them, the leonal, reminds me of Harafi's description
      of the Mangs, Seekers folk. Besides a bunch of new monsters it has
      the old stand bys, githyankis, githzerai, yugoloths, paraelementals
      and some neat-o templates for half-elementals, shadow creatures, and
      other critters. There are also some new planes added to the mix, the
      Plane of Faerie, the Elemental Plane of Wood & one of cold, Plane of
      Mirrors, Spirit World, the Region of Dreams, and others. There are
      also some new prestige classes, the divine agent, gatecrashers,
      planar champion, and the planeshifter. And there 26 new spells
      dealing with planar stuff.
      Lets see, I've got the PH, the DMG, the Monster Manual, the Psionic
      Handbook, The Forgotten Realms book, the Monsters of Forgotten Realm
      book, this one, and the Dragon Lords of Melnibone...... now if I
      could only find someone to play the damn game with I'd be set.