The War Room

  • James Chrisman
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
      So Dave would you mind adding a brief (or long would be better)
      synopsis of your campaign at the War Room after each bi weekly game?
      I would love to hear about the characters, PC and NPC, and the plot,
      evil future plans of your dude, your review of each game, etc. I get
      my best ideas bouncing off of other people and this place definately
      has room.
      Man, anyone who has a thought about anything game related please
      feel free to post, hell it doesn't even have to be game related, tell
      me your mothers maiden name and the local weather.
      Any one planning on going to OZ Fest? Corporate ignorance lets me
      control time, by the way, by the way.
    • Bluntaxe
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2001
        > Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 23:39:09 -0000
        > From: "James Chrisman" <jachrisman@...>
        > Subject: The War Room
        >
        > So Dave would you mind adding a brief (or long would be better)
        > synopsis of your campaign at the War Room after each bi weekly game?
        > I would love to hear about the characters, PC and NPC, and the plot,
        > evil future plans of your dude, your review of each game, etc. I get
        > my best ideas bouncing off of other people and this place definately
        > has room.
        > Man, anyone who has a thought about anything game related please
        > feel free to post, hell it doesn't even have to be game related, tell
        > me your mothers maiden name and the local weather.
        > Any one planning on going to OZ Fest? Corporate ignorance lets me
        > control time, by the way, by the way.

        I must have missed where this War Room thread started but here is a breakdown of my
        (D&D) campaign. Don't know if you'll like the format, it was just easier for me to
        make a list of key events.....

        1. Characters start off coflicting one another (Wizard messing with nature vs. Druid
        trying to preserve it with everyone else in the middle of it all).
        2. Characters still around 1st-2nd level with their infinate greed release a Lich
        trapped by powerful magic.
        3. Lich agrees not to kill characters if they do a task for him (find and bring him a
        power Artifact containing the soul of an ancient god (very evil) - characters don't
        know about the god yet)
        4. Characters find the artifact with the help of one of the character's patron
        dieties in the hopes they destroy the artifact. (all characters now warship the
        druid's patron deity)
        5. Characters decide to keep the artifact. Meanwile the god trapped in the artifact
        is contolling it's 'owner' to free itself from the temporary prison.
        6. Lich finds characters. Characters immediatly turn tail and run. The Lich ammused
        desides to keep tabs on the characters (rather than kill them and end the campaign) as
        he starts the next phase of his plans.
        7. Series of sidequests. Mostly in the hopes to hide from the Lich and also by the
        influence of the artifact.
        8. Character's find some creatures that eat souls. Now knowing about the god's soul
        inside the artifact they decide (barely) to give up the artifact to the creatures in
        the hopes the god will be destroyed. They leave the mountain the creatures live
        inside.
        9. Getting a few miles away they are shaken by a large earthquake and the moutain
        shearing in half. Thinking the god's destruction caused this they don't think much of
        it and continue on there way. Reality is the Lich used his magic to cause the
        earthquake to get his artifact back. (didn't want to mess with a bunch of soul
        sapping creatures)
        10. Lich using the artifact's power finds a way to become a god (sort of a mix of
        souls between the Lich and god in the artifact).
        11. Character's in party decide to return to the home country of a few of the party
        members only to find it under martial law by a concurring dictator. (This guy is a
        demon warshiping Fighter last name was Blackguard. Thus he named his entire army the
        Blackguard. Now I'm totally serious I named this guy before the DMG even came out.
        When I saw the prestige class it totally fit and I then converted the Campaign to 3e
        (especially him).
        12. After joining in on the war and helping out they find out that the Thief of the
        party is really the firstborn abandoned son of the king. King dies from an
        assasination and the Thief of the party suddenly becomes the king. Now you may be
        saying wow how cool now he has all this power and money. Fantasy-Reality check - the
        Kingdom is broke, the army is scattered and mostly destoyed and the only thing keeping
        Blackguard from taking over that it seems a curse has befallen the kingdom and it has
        been snowing now for 5 years (started after Blackguards first assault). Also the
        Thief absolutely hates the responsibility of being King.
        13. Also due to some magic meddeling the source of the 5 year winter (the now god
        Lich) has caused the elves (who are also affected) to think the human kingdom (the one
        that the thief now controls) is causing the winter and vise versa.

        Also the weather here in south-west Michigan is very cloudy with chance of rain ;)

        Bluntaxe

      • James Chrisman
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2001
          Thanks for the reply, I just realized there are three Daves on this
          list that I know of. One of the Daves plays a game at a hobby store
          in Atlanta called the War Room and appartently doesn't read the M_G_S
          digests all the time or just doesn't want to post. I enjoyed reading
          about your game, I like how you didn't just use the lich to kill the
          party straight out, your making it a long slow drawn out process,
          something a lich would probably enjoy. It sounds like the PCs have
          their hands full.
> [...]
          Now you may be
          > saying wow how cool now he has all this power and money. Fantasy-
          Reality check - the
          > Kingdom is broke, the army is scattered and mostly destoyed and the
          only thing keeping
          > Blackguard from taking over that it seems a curse has befallen the
          kingdom and it has
          > been snowing now for 5 years (started after Blackguards first
          assault). Also the
          > Thief absolutely hates the responsibility of being King.
          > 13. Also due to some magic meddeling the source of the 5 year
          winter (the now god
          > Lich) has caused the elves (who are also affected) to think the
          human kingdom (the one
          > that the thief now controls) is causing the winter and vise versa.
          >
          > Also the weather here in south-west Michigan is very cloudy with

        • Bluntaxe
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2001
            James Chrisman wrote:

            > Thanks for the reply, I just realized there are three Daves on this
            > list that I know of. One of the Daves plays a game at a hobby store
            > in Atlanta called the War Room and appartently doesn't read the M_G_S
            > digests all the time or just doesn't want to post. I enjoyed reading
            > about your game, I like how you didn't just use the lich to kill the
            > party straight out, your making it a long slow drawn out process,
            > something a lich would probably enjoy. It sounds like the PCs have
            > their hands full.

            Ya, there hands very full. Right now they think a Dragon is causing all of the Snow,
            I'm wondering if they are going to go rushing in and try to slay the dragon or
            actually find out if he's the source first. Anyhow this is the first time I have
            seen true hatred for an NPC (or perhaps me as the DM).
          • James Chrisman
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 9, 2001
              > Ya, there hands very full. Right now they think a Dragon is
              causing all of the Snow,
              > I'm wondering if they are going to go rushing in and try to slay
              the dragon or
              > actually find out if he's the source first. Anyhow this is the
              first time I have
              > seen true hatred for an NPC (or perhaps me as the DM).

              what kind of dragon is it? and have you considered making it the
              wrong color, you know a black dragon that has green scales and that
              kind of thing, maybe its polymorphed or a mutant.