World Creation (cities, towns, villages)

  • i_ate_breakfast
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2009
      When creating worlds I tend to bog down on creating villages, towns and cities. I read once about rolling stats like for a character but for a city.

      STR - size
      DEX - city guard, walls, laws
      CON - disease, food storage, sturdy or crumbling buildings
      INT - schools and colleges (wizard, fighter, bard, craftsmen, professions, etc), sages
      WIS - favor of the gods
      CHA - politics and/or appearance ???

      roll 4d6-4 for each stat

      STR -
      0 Farm, Outpost, Way Station or Tower
      1 - 10 Village or Fort
      11 - 16 Town
      17 - 18 City-State (within a few days travel will be 1d6-2 towns and 1d6+4 villages)
      19 Metropolis (within a few days travel will be 1d6-2 towns and 1d6+4 villages)
      20 Megalopolis (within a few days travel will be 1d4 towns and 1d8+4 villages)

      DEX -
      0 no militia, no guards, no army, nothing.
      1 - 5 poorly equipped militia (1-5% of population).
      6 - 14 militia or watchmen (6-10% of population).
      15 - 17 watchmen and militia (each is equal to 11-15% of population).
      18 - 19 well equipped soldiers (equal to 16-19% of population).
      20 all soldiers are at least 2nd level fighters (equal to 20% of population).

      CON -
      0 Uninhabited Ruins, possibly cursed or perhaps some other hidden horrible thing sleeps away the centuries here.
      1 - 3 Ruins and monster lair, undead or bandit camp.
      4 - 5 Falling apart, famine and disease are rampant, even rats are rare.
      6 - 8 Run down, diseased beggars and rat kebabs are common.
      9 - 14 PH prices for food.
      15 - 16 Buildings and walls are always kept in good repair, no beggars to be seen.
      17 - 18 Streets are kept clean, plus 3/4 prices for food, healing spells and potions.
      19 Once a week feast night in temples (free food and cure light wounds spells until they run out).
      20  Every night is feast night at temples and wandering clerics cure diseases.

      INT -
      0 - 5 No schools, arcane users are despised and burnt at the stake.
      6 - 14 A guild or two for a profession or craftsman trade.
      15 - 17 Several guilds and a Wizard School.
      18 - 19 University and several rival Wizard Schools.
      20 University and several rival Wizard Schools, plus a Bardic College.

      WIS -
      0 Cursed by the gods, divine magic dead zone.
      1 - 3 Cursed by the gods.
      4 - 14 Average.
      15 - 17 Liked by the gods.
      18 - 19 Favored by the gods.
      20 A demi-god or two resides here.

      CHA - ???
      0 At war with or hated by neighbors
      1 - 5 ???
      6 - 14
      ???
      15 - 17 ??? Large Merchant Guild Headquarters or powerful noble family
      18 - 19 Capital of surrounding area or beautiful city
      20 Jaw-Dropping architecture

      Terrain
      1 Plains
      2 Hills
      3 Mountains
      4 Forest/Jungle
      5 Desert (Sand or Rocky)
      6 Swamp/Marsh/Bog
      7 Lake
      8 Ocean
      9 Tundra
      10 Icesheet/Glacier

      Features
      1-5 Tower/Fort
      6-10 Creek/Stream/River
      11-20 Trail/Dirt Road/Cobblestone Road
      21-88 No feature
      89-97 Animal or Monster Lair
      98-100 Camp/Farm/Thorp/Village/Town/City/Metropolis
    • Scott Plunk

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2009
          Some dudes over at Barroks Tower  had some useful ideas

          1 - 5 ??? = Bastard town/city, nobody really likes this place.
          6 - 14 ??? = 1 hero came out of this place... a looooooong time ago.