Ravenloft Smurfs

  • James Chrisman
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009
    • John Poster
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009
      • James Chrisman
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 10, 2009
        • James Chrisman
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 29, 2009
          • James Chrisman
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 30, 2009
              Stupid Monsters
              http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article95.htm
              4th edition Stoopid Monsters
              http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/duad/20090401
              Campestri
              http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=681

              History/Background
              ... two centuries ago at the end of the aboleth civil war they were crushed by millions of gallons of water when the magic that created the bubble over the terrible slave city of Imhabba...

              ... water drained from countless miles of twisted tunnels and caverns along the shore of the dark sea.

              Once exposed to air the sediment of a millennium was perfect for a fungus bloom and was the sign the myconid dream shaman had foretold.

              The once submerged temples of foul aquatic aberrations still protected and cursed by...

              The discovery of copper, rubies and sapphires brought the younger sons of duergar nobles and attracted the attention of minor drow merchant clans as well as slavers who sold their grim wares to both.
              Abandoned when the mines played out these outposts and fortified temples still harbor...

              Duergar skull with a jewel encrusted crown bolted to it. (Umbral template on a duergar).
              In order to alleviate the constant grimlock attacks they built tunnels up to the surface.

              Common Creatures in the Area
              Neogi, Spawn 1/3 Lords of Madness
              Monstrous Centipede - Medium 1/2 Monster Manual
              Fungus, Shrieker 1 Monster Manual
              Puppeteer 1 Expanded Psionics Handbook
              Grimlock 1 Monster Manual
              Troglodyte 1 Monster Manual
              Planetouched, Zenythri 1 Monster Manual 2
              Puppeteer, Flesh Harrower 2 Expanded Psionics Handbook
              Grick 3 Monster Manual
              Fungus, Violet Fungus 3 Monster Manual
              Ooze, Gelatinous Cube 3 Monster Manual
              Demon, Elemental - Air 3 Dragon Compendium Volume One
              Swarm, Centipede 4 Monster Manual
              Carrion Crawler 4 Monster Manual
              Gibbering Mouther 5 Monster Manual
              Ooze, Ochre Jelly 5 Monster Manual
              Illithidae, Kigrid 5 Lords of Madness
              Psurlon, Average 5 Lords of Madness
              Mageripper Swarm 6 Monster Manual 4
              Shambling Mound 6 Monster Manual
              Vinespawn 7 Monster Manual 5 (modify it to mushroom spawn)
              Troll, Cave 8 Monster Manual 3
              Caller in Darkness 9 Expanded Psionics Handbook

              Templates
              Symbiont, Psionic Sinew 1/8 Fiend Folio
              Element Creature, Wood Varies Manual of the Planes
              Pseudonatural Creature Varies Lords of Madness, Manual of the Planes
              Tomb Spider, Web Mummy Varies Monster Manual 4
              Ravenous Creature +1 Dragon Compendium Volume One
              Ghoulish Creature +1 Dragon Compendium Volume One
              Cave Creature +1 Advanced Bestiary
              Umbral Creature +2 Libris Mortis
              Trap Haunt +2 Dragon Compendium Volume One
              Death Knight +3 Monster Manual 2

              Other Creatures in the Area
              MM II
              Jermlaine 1/2
              Myconid, Circle Leader 6

              MM III
              Mindshredder, Larva 1
              Mindshredder, Warrior 4
              Seryulin 7

              MM IV
              Tomb Spider Broodswarm 2
              Tomb Spider 6

              MM V
              Rylkar, Madclaw 3

              FF
              Varrangoin, Lesser 6
              Abyssal Ghoul 10

              Lords of Madness
              Neogi, Great Old Master 6

              CAMPESTRI
              Tiny Plant
              Hit Dice: 1d8 (4 hp)
              Initiative: +0 (Dex)
              Speed: 30 ft
              AC: 12 (+2 size), touch 12, flat-footed 12
              Attacks: Butt +0 melee
              Damage: Butt 1d2-3
              Face/Reach: 2 1/2 ft by 2 1/2 ft/0 ft
              Special Attacks: Spores
              Special Qualities: Sound imitation, tremorsense, plant traits
              Saves: Fort +2, Ref +0, Will -1
              Abilities: Str 4, Dex 11, Con 10, Int 4, Wis 8, Cha 9
              Skills: Listen +5
              Feats: Weapon Finesse (butt) (B)

              Climate/Terrain: Any marsh
              Challenge Rating: 1/6
              Treasure: None
              Alignment: Always neutral
              Advancement: 2-3 HD (Tiny)

              Campestri are a tiny mushroom people, perhaps vaguely related to myconids. They look like little toadstools with faces, and have no limbs. They seem to have no concerns, and are carefree and oblivious to just about everything. They come in many colors, from white to tan to dark brown, but all have reddish or purple caps with speckles. Campestris move by expanding and contracting their roots to form a simple walking motion. Campestris sleep during the day, and only move around at night.
              These fungi are just smart enough to have very simple reasoning capacities, and have developed a rather warped sense of humor. A campestri herd forms a sort of collective intellect, by which they seem to double their intelligence. Druids or bards may be vaguely aware of the existence of campestris through old legends.
              Campestri are a musical people, and will flock to anyone singing or playing instruments, even if they music is extremely bad. They sing and dance along with the music, and are capable of imitating both words and instrumentation. They tend not to repeat the words very well, as they lack understanding of any language. A bard that can teach campestris to sing on key has accomplished an awesome task.
              Campestri absorb salty soil, filter out the salt, and expel an oily paste of purified soil. This makes campestri taste salty, which does keep many swamp predators away, although bullywugs consider them a delicacy.

              COMBAT
              Campestris are very weak in combat, and only attack creatures as a distraction. They can make a sort of sprinting action to butt opponents, and can use this tactic to swarm spellcasters and break their concentration. They will usually release their spores in the first round of combat, as this is their only real defense.
              Spores (Sp): Once per day, a campestri can release a spore cloud in a radius of 10 feet. These spores affect all breathing creatures as a slow spell if they fail a Will save (DC 10), for 1d4+4 rounds.
              Sound Imitation (Ex): Campestris remember every sound they have ever heard, and are able to repeat it in their obnoxious, nasal falsetto. They do not remember words very well though, and tend to mispronounce everything they try to speak or sing.
              Plant Traits: A campestri is immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and polymorphing. It is not subject to critical hits or mind-affecting effects. The creature also has low-light vision.
              Skills: Campestri receive a +6 racial bonus to Listen checks.

              The campestri first appeared in Dungeon #41 ("Old Man Katan and the Incredible, Edible Mushroom Band," Ted James Thomas Zuvich, 1993?), and Monstrous Compendium Annual One (1994).

              <I_ATE_BREAKFAST wrote:

              > Lawn Gnomes
              > http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Lawn_Gnomes_%28DnD_Race%29
              >
              > --- In Maps_Gods_Stories I_ATE_BREAKFAST wrote:
              > >
              > > Encounter Maker
              > > http://www.sulerin.com/creatures/creatures.asp?op=random
              > >
              > > Bad Stuff
              > > http://www.geocities.com/i_ate_breakfast/entropy.html
              > >
              > > Good Stuff
              > > http://www.dmtools.org/
              > > http://dungeoncrafter3.com/download.php
              > > http://www.r4bid.net/LoreWeaver/AtlasOvTestoria
              > > http://d20npcs.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
              > > http://www.geocities.com/i_ate_breakfast/ninja.html
              > > http://www.r4bid.net/LoreWeaver/FrogFolk

            • James Chrisman
              Message 6 of 16 , May 19, 2009
                Scott is planning a mountain campaign where we have to pick either a small race or a goliath or half-giant so we made some characters.
                Oleg made a Goliath Fighter, Donnie made a deep halfling cleric/warlock, so I made one too...

                Deer Fingers

                Where earth meets fire bright
                Far below the green and light
                Land of always night

                The town of Zuul was founded by dwarves of the Fireblood clan 200 years ago near a vein of mithril. Most have moved on, searching for the next mother lode, but others have settled here next to the Stoneheart River and Zuul is a favorite rest stop for those coming from or going to the surface.

                The oldest structure still standing is Black Hound Inn, a place known for its dwarven stout and the ravenous appetite of the clan of deep halflings that live in the beer cellar. Named after the halfling god of the dead in honor of those deep halflings who fought and died next to their dwarven brothers-in-arms in the troglodyte wars long ago. The folk of Deer Fingers clan pride themselves on their history of scouting for their dwarven allies and being able to fit into the smallest kobold infested rat warren has its advantages.

                There are other halflings in town, theres the rat-humping hicks over at the Stained Axe Tavern, a place known for its cheese and foul tasting, watery ale. And theres the twins, a pair of stuck up glimmerskin paladins who stay in the temple of Clanggedin Silverbeard.

                small one from the dark
                beavers milk and willow bark
                silent shadows hark

                Father should have known, a winters moon celebration with myconids and gallows fey isn't the sort of party where you take your family. No one knows who invited the dark creepers or when the redcaps showed up, but when someone released the basidirond spores things went bad, very bad. As the maelstrom of chaos and confusion spread, father gathered up the family and hid in an empty beer barrel. The last thing Deer Fingers saw was the tentacles ripping through the ground before the barrel got knocked into the Stoneheart River, of course it could of just been the hallucination spores...

                Chews-softly was upriver looking for willow trees and saw the barrel smash on the rocks at the bottom of the waterfall, and being the gentle soul that she is, brought the half-drowned Deer Fingers to the lodge. Three-paws said it was bad luck to bring in an outsider pup but Morning-song had lost one of hers and nursed him alongside her other pups despite his protests.

                After nine years Deer Fingers thinks of himself as one of the People of the Lodge and the time before was just a bad dream. Even though Morning-song didn't want him to go she still made him a set of bark armor and watched him chase butterflies as he disappeared into the woods.

                Deer Fingers wandered aimlessly for a few weeks, talking with birds and rabbits, eating nothing but berries and bugs. So when he stumbled across a goliath food cache he gorged himself and fell asleep. The goliaths found him snoring, holding his swollen stomach, after a moment they started laughing. Deer Fingers woke up, smiled at them, healed one of the injured hunters then followed them back to their camp.

                Deer Fingers
                Chaotic Good Deep Halfling
                Cleric/Warlock Level 1/1

                Str 15
                Dex 19
                Con 15
                Int 13
                Wis 18
                Cha 17

                Fort 5 / Ref 2 / Will 9

                Flaws: Poor Reflexes (-3 to reflex saves), Shaky (-2 to range attacks)
                Feats: Fey Heritage, Fey Power, Fey Skin (DR 3/cold iron)

                Skills:
                Concentration 7 (5 ranks), Knowledge (Planes) 5 (4 ranks), Knowledge (Religion) 6 (5 ranks), Profession (Engineer) 5 (1 rank)

                Languages: Dwarf, Halfling and Sylvan

                Least Invocation: Call of the Beast (ummm, you can talk to animals and get wild empathy)
                Domains: Hunger and Oracle

                Equipment
                masterwork Bark Armor made out of darkwood (cost 225 gold, weighs 3.5 pounds)

                umm, random notes so I don't forget
                Haikus are 5,7,5 and stupid.
                Stainers (halflings from the Stained Axe Tavern) are a clan of tallfellow weremice, long ago exiled from the surface for their unorthodox worship of Brandobaris and cowardly ways.
                http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_t.php?TemplateID=51
                Glimmerskin Halflings are in Dragon Magic.
                Myconids are in the MM II
                Dark Creepers are in the Fiend Folio
                Redcaps are in the MM III
                BASIDIROND http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/plant/basidirond.htm
                Giant Beavers http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=1325

              • iknowset
                Message 7 of 16 , May 19, 2009
                  Awesome background. I particularly like the haikus.

                  --- In Maps_Gods_Stories@yahoogroups.com, "James Chrisman" <I_ATE_BREAKFAST@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > Gibbering Mouther 5 Monster Manual
                  > > Ooze, Ochre Jelly 5 Monster Manual
                  > > Illithidae, Kigrid 5 Lords of Madness
                  > > Psurlon, Average 5 Lords of Madness
                  > > Mageripper Swarm 6 Monster Manual 4
                  > > Shambling Mound 6 Monster Manual
                  > > Vinespawn 7 Monster Manual 5 (modify it to
                  > mushroom spawn)
                  > > Troll, Cave 8 Monster Manual 3
                  > > Caller in Darkness 9 Expanded Psionics Handbook
                  > >
                  > > Templates
                  > > Symbiont, Psionic Sinew 1/8 Fiend Folio
                  > > Element Creature, Wood Varies Manual of the Planes
                  > > Pseudonatural Creature Varies Lords of Madness, Manual of the
                  > Planes
                  > > Tomb Spider, Web Mummy Varies Monster Manual 4
                  > > Ravenous Creature +1 Dragon Compendium Volume One
                  > > Ghoulish Creature +1 Dragon Compendium Volume One
                  > > Cave Creature +1 Advanced Bestiary
                  > > Umbral Creature +2 Libris Mortis
                  > > Trap Haunt +2 Dragon Compendium Volume One

                • James Chrisman
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 22, 2009
                    The Devil Doors and the Valley of Slaughter
                    When the mountains belly was still full of fire the giants built an ornate gate of solid bronze guarding the entrance to their fortress. Over time, as the fires cooled, their power waned and their raids less and less until they were seen no more, only the gate with the devil faces remain.

                    Then almost thirty years ago on a full moon like tonight, the mountains vomited forth hundreds of shrieking grimlocks and they killed every goliath in the valley. Afterwards the grimlock horde retreated back into the earth through the Devil Doors as mysteriously as they arrived. The grimlocks return for one night every year now, some say the hordes grow bigger each time.

                    Since then other things have settled in that cursed valley, eaters of carrion and creatures that revel in combat, like the Bloody Hand orc tribe who greet the returning grimlock hordes with one of their own. The week before the gate opens is a time of celebration for the orcs and any who enter the valley during this time are given the honor of one on one combat rather than the usual greeting of kill first, speak with dead later.

                  • James Chrisman
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 27, 2009
                      Well Scott ran his Mountains of Madness  game last Sunday, it was pretty fun, got to game with Donnie instead of him or me being the DM.

                      Ed, Dave and Dave should come on down and join us...

[...]

                      Cleric/Warlock Level 2/1

                      Str 15
                      Dex 19
                      Con 15
                      Int 13
                      Wis 18
                      Cha 17

                      Fort 6 / Ref 2 / Will 10

                      Flaws: Poor Reflexes (-3 to reflex saves), Shaky (-2 to range attacks)
                      Feats: Fey Heritage, Fey Power, Fey Skin (DR 3/cold iron)

                      Skills:
                      Concentration 7 (5 ranks), Knowledge (Planes) 5 (4 ranks), Knowledge (Religion) 6 (5 ranks), Profession (Engineer) 5 (1 rank)

                      Languages: Dwarf, Halfling and Sylvan

                      Least Invocation: Call of the Beast (ummm, you can talk to animals and get wild empathy)
                      Domains: Hunger and Oracle

                      Equipment
                      masterwork Bark Armor made out of darkwood (cost 225 gold, weighs 3.5 pounds) and a set of keys from the tunnels under the graveyard in Rockport