1611Re: Eskimo Town Generator

  • dirtkami
    Apr 5 11:10 PM
      Still waiting...

      --- "dirtkami" wrote:

      All righty then, I'm ready for a summer campaign of arctic adventuring <hint hint Scott>

      --- dirtkami wrote:

      Finally found a random eskimo town generator. Set it for Inuit | Thorp | Human
      Set the weather generator for Cold | Winter
      and set the encounter table for CR any | Climate Cold

      There you go, a 3.5 version of Digger's Arctic Campaign

      --- In Maps_Gods_Stories - Digger's version of his Arctic Campaign

      The party started at the very bottom (Zero XP's) and were from the same general area (somewhat like northern Canada to put it in "real" terms). Snowshoes, yak, very small arctic towns, etc. Baphomet ran a bard (don't recall if he picked a specific kit or not) named Ariel Stormwind. The rest of the party was a good blend of clerics, mages, thieves & fighters (one named Mortin eventually became Mortin "Giantslayer" and another, an arctic ranger named Hawkwind).

      The party had at least the minimum arctic equipment due to their growing up in the area (snowshoes, very warm & thick coats & clothing, blankets, spikes, etc.), and they were able to scrounge together a few weapons & armor (very low quality for the most part.... hard to find great shops in such a remote area - though a very good leatherworker/furrier was in their town - a couple of the party members even worked for this guy & acquired the skill growing up). They went out into the frozen tundra to make their fame and fortune....

      To add to the realism (this was throughout, up to the party's gaining higher levels), I kept a daily log (30 days in advance) of weather conditions, including temperature, snowfall & seemingly most important WIND CHILL. There were MANY days that were SO cold that the group could NOT travel, & some members at times took actual damage from the intense cold (despite their arctic outfiting). The extreme numbers (NEGATIVE 100 or lower wind chill at its worst) was very memorable, caused a lot of laughter and fun, & made the party really have to take into account ALL the elements that go along with adventuring.

      The area had a wide variety of arctic creatures (pretty much any that I could find any of the Monsters Manual or Compendium), and my challenge was the find things that would not just destroy the party instantly. They encountered groups of wolves, winter wolves, and oliphants, and often they stayed away and/or just flat ran away and hid. When the group was around 3rd or 4th level, they got into a battle with a few winter wolves & could not get away, so they had to fight.

      If you don't know, winter wolves are HUGE (4'-9' at the shoulders) & are a high HD, so the party pretty much thought they were dead (I honestly thought that it was about 80-20 advantage for the wolves).

      A fierce battle ensued. Blood soaked the snow (I decided that winter wolf blood was blue) as each side cut, clawed, and bit each other during the first 4 or 5 rounds. We used the individual crit & fumble charts (animal chart, blunt weapons, piercing weapon, slashing, etc.) which created a number of very interesting and varied results from each side of extremes. With a few party members down (with only a couple having the fortune to be bound to stop the bleeding) and a couple of winter wolves down, it was down to 2 (maybe 3 - one of which was Ariel) party members and one winter wolf - the party was much more injured than the wolf.

      Then an incredible twist of fate happened - the wolf rolled a fumble on a bite attack and in his rage (rolled of the chart for animals), he BIT THROUGH HIS BACK LEG TO THE POINT OF USELESSNESS. Once 3 legged & in major shock, the party hit him a few times and got his HP down very low, and the wolf actually began to whimper. Ariel's love of animals (and with a ranger in the party) caused the party to stop attacking. With the healing help of the party and the ranger, the party now had a three-legged winter wolf seemingly loyal to them. A strong bond came about especially with Ariel Stormwind. [ I realize a winter wolf is techincally a monster not an animal, but I couldn't let such a technicality get in the way of such an incredibly fun & memorable encounter].

      This was just ONE small segment of a huge campaign. As the party gained more & more experience, their courage began to grow. I will not give all the details at this time, but they encountered a non-trusting but eventually friendly eskimo village, ran into groups of very driven oliphants (INT 13) that were very memorable, and had many encounters with Frost giants. MANY other funny little incidents occured as the party got closer (or least more used to traveling together).
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic