Re: Wheeling Suspension Bridge video

  • David D
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 15, 2011
      I believe they are just to minimize the number of vehicles on the bridge at any given time. There are signals at both approaches.
      -david

      --- In ManySpans@yahoogroups.com, John Spafford <jspaff@...> wrote:

      > David, what is the purpose of the traffic signals on the approach? I
      > thought initially it was because the bridge was one-way at a time, but I
      > noticed that you encountered oncoming traffic on the bridge. I also didn't
      > notice any crosswalk either at the traffic signals.
      >
      > John Spafford
      > "I went from Phoenix, AZ all the way to Tacoma..."
      >
      > On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM, David D <david@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > And of course I forgot the link:
      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoxORWqFRvc
      > >

      > > --- In ManySpans@yahoogroups.com, "David D" <david@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Recently swung by Wheeling and couldn't resist taking a video as I drove
      > > across the suspension bridge. First time I had been back to Wheeling since
      > > 1995.
      > > > -david

    • Patrick S. O'Donnell
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 18, 2011

        Slide show of my photos taken thuis past summer of the 1888 Keeseville Suspension Footbridge at Keeseville, New York.  First suspension bridge of 25 visited during a four day / 2300+ mile drive up to and around Quebec's Gaspe Peninsula.

        http://www.flickr.com//photos/suspensionstayed/sets/72157628039780445/show/

        -Patrick

      • Dave Cooper
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 18, 2011
          I could do with picking your brains. How I can talk the wife into letting me stand on her shoulders to get some high shots.

          On 18 Nov 2011, at 18:26, Patrick S. O'Donnell wrote:

          Slide show of my photos taken thuis past summer of the 1888 Keeseville Suspension Footbridge at Keeseville, New York.  First suspension bridge of 25 visited during a four day / 2300+ mile drive up to and around Quebec's Gaspe Peninsula.

          http://www.flickr.com//photos/suspensionstayed/sets/72157628039780445/show/

          -Patrick

        • David Denenberg
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 18, 2011
            Nice.  Can't believe I've never made it to this bridge... definitely one of the lesser known "under appreciated" bridges of the few 100+ year-old suspension bridges remaining in the U.S.
          • Patrick S. O'Donnell
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 18, 2011

              Sorry, I'm not going to be of any help there.  Those several "high shots" within the slide show are as a result of my climbing up the structure.  My wife has accompanied me on less than 1% of my 1,053 bridge visits.  I may even be able to count them on one hand, thus about half that 1%.  I can't even even get her to take those pictures of me holding my counter, even when I could get her out on the bridge.  The intensity of my trips makes these solo efforts.  Example: Taking a nap prior to leaving home at 11PM for a 6 hour drive to be at the first bridge at sunrise such was done with the Keeseville, then going non-stop until 9PM that evening was the first day (OK, first 22 hours).  The the next couple of days were from 5AM until 9PM as to use the available daylight that time of year.

              -Patrick

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 18, 2011
                The wife & I go almost everywhere together. She is also very reluctant to walk out onto a suspension bridge & I am sure I would not get away with climbing the towers.

                But your high shots have given me an idea. I am going to try setting the camera self-timer & then hold it up with a monopod.

                Dave C.