Wheeling Suspension Bridge video

  • David D
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 14, 2011
      Recently swung by Wheeling and couldn't resist taking a video as I drove across the suspension bridge. First time I had been back to Wheeling since 1995.
      -david
    • David D
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 14, 2011
        And of course I forgot the link:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoxORWqFRvc

        --- In ManySpans@yahoogroups.com, "David D" <david@...> wrote:

        > Recently swung by Wheeling and couldn't resist taking a video as I drove across the suspension bridge. First time I had been back to Wheeling since 1995.
        > -david

      • John Spafford
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 14, 2011
          David, what is the purpose of the traffic signals on the approach?  I thought initially it was because the bridge was one-way at a time, but I noticed that you encountered oncoming traffic on the bridge.  I also didn't notice any crosswalk either at the traffic signals.

          John Spafford
          "I went from Phoenix, AZ all the way to Tacoma..."

        • xploreusa@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 14, 2011
            To regulate the maximum number of cars crossing at any one time. I think it's four or five vehicles simultaneously??

            Message sent from my magical and revolutionary iPad 2

            On Nov 15, 2011, at 12:34 AM, John Spafford <jspaff@...> wrote:

            David, what is the purpose of the traffic signals on the approach?  I thought initially it was because the bridge was one-way at a time, but I noticed that you encountered oncoming traffic on the bridge.  I also didn't notice any crosswalk either at the traffic signals.

            John Spafford
            "I went from Phoenix, AZ all the way to Tacoma..."

            On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM, David D <david@...> wrote:

            And of course I forgot the link:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoxORWqFRvc

            --- In ManySpans@yahoogroups.com, "David D" <david@...> wrote:

            > Recently swung by Wheeling and couldn't resist taking a video as I drove across the suspension bridge. First time I had been back to Wheeling since 1995.
            > -david
          • Patrick S. O'Donnell
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 15, 2011

              I would think it's to allow spacing between vehicles so that there is not so much weight on / in any given area on this very aged structure.

              - Patrick O'Donnell

            • wgrodkiewi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 15, 2011
                I believe there is even a sign indicating such at the traffic lights.

                In a message dated 11/15/2011 5:01:40 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, 1.991km@... writes:

                I would think it's to allow spacing between vehicles so that there is not so much weight on / in any given area on this very aged structure.

                - Patrick O'Donnell

                David, what is the purpose of the traffic signals on the approach?  I thought initially it was because the bridge was one-way at a time, but I noticed that you encountered oncoming traffic on the bridge.  I also didn't notice any crosswalk either at the traffic signals.

                John Spafford
                "I went from Phoenix, AZ all the way to Tacoma..."

                On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM, David D <david@...> wrote:

                And of course I forgot the link:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoxORWqFRvc

                --- In ManySpans@yahoogroups.com, "David D" <david@...> wrote:

                > Recently swung by Wheeling and couldn't resist taking a video as I drove across the suspension bridge. First time I had been back to Wheeling since 1995.
                > -david

              • David Denenberg

                  David, what is the purpose of the traffic signals on the approach?  I thought initially it was because the bridge was one-way at a time, but I noticed that you encountered oncoming traffic on the bridge.  I also didn't notice any crosswalk either at the traffic signals.

                  John Spafford
                  "I went from Phoenix, AZ all the way to Tacoma..."

                  On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM, David D <david@...> wrote:

                  And of course I forgot the link:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoxORWqFRvc

                  --- In ManySpans@yahoogroups.com, "David D" <david@...> wrote:

                  > Recently swung by Wheeling and couldn't resist taking a video as I drove across the suspension bridge. First time I had been back to Wheeling since 1995.
                  > -david

                • David D
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 15, 2011
                    I believe they are just to minimize the number of vehicles on the bridge at any given time. There are signals at both approaches.
                    -david

                    --- In ManySpans@yahoogroups.com, John Spafford <jspaff@...> wrote:

                    > David, what is the purpose of the traffic signals on the approach? I
                    > thought initially it was because the bridge was one-way at a time, but I
                    > noticed that you encountered oncoming traffic on the bridge. I also didn't
                    > notice any crosswalk either at the traffic signals.
                    >
                    > John Spafford
                    > "I went from Phoenix, AZ all the way to Tacoma..."
                    >
                    > On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM, David D <david@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > And of course I forgot the link:
                    > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoxORWqFRvc
                    > >

                    > > --- In ManySpans@yahoogroups.com, "David D" <david@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Recently swung by Wheeling and couldn't resist taking a video as I drove
                    > > across the suspension bridge. First time I had been back to Wheeling since
                    > > 1995.
                    > > > -david

                  • Patrick S. O'Donnell
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 18, 2011

                      Slide show of my photos taken thuis past summer of the 1888 Keeseville Suspension Footbridge at Keeseville, New York.  First suspension bridge of 25 visited during a four day / 2300+ mile drive up to and around Quebec's Gaspe Peninsula.

                      http://www.flickr.com//photos/suspensionstayed/sets/72157628039780445/show/

                      -Patrick

                    • Dave Cooper

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 18, 2011
                          Nice.  Can't believe I've never made it to this bridge... definitely one of the lesser known "under appreciated" bridges of the few 100+ year-old suspension bridges remaining in the U.S.
                        • Patrick S. O'Donnell
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 18, 2011

                            Sorry, I'm not going to be of any help there.  Those several "high shots" within the slide show are as a result of my climbing up the structure.  My wife has accompanied me on less than 1% of my 1,053 bridge visits.  I may even be able to count them on one hand, thus about half that 1%.  I can't even even get her to take those pictures of me holding my counter, even when I could get her out on the bridge.  The intensity of my trips makes these solo efforts.  Example: Taking a nap prior to leaving home at 11PM for a 6 hour drive to be at the first bridge at sunrise such was done with the Keeseville, then going non-stop until 9PM that evening was the first day (OK, first 22 hours).  The the next couple of days were from 5AM until 9PM as to use the available daylight that time of year.

                            -Patrick

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 18, 2011
                              The wife & I go almost everywhere together. She is also very reluctant to walk out onto a suspension bridge & I am sure I would not get away with climbing the towers.

                              But your high shots have given me an idea. I am going to try setting the camera self-timer & then hold it up with a monopod.

                              Dave C.