Re: [MinMan] Sunpack Auto 355AF thyristor Flash

  • Chuck Norcutt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 27, 2010
      Thanks, Kevin. I was unaware of the existence of the FS-1200. I just
      found 3 for sale on ebay. Two appear to be Minolta parts which have
      three pins on the bottom which implies TTL control. The third is a
      Chinese partial clone having only a single bottom contact.

      But I'm still confused. I found this page that describes the FS-1100
      and FS-1200 <http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/flashcomp_acc.php> It
      says the FS-1200 will adapt a Minolta AF flash unit to the old ISO flash
      shoe and gives the 7000AF as an example. From this photo of the 7000AF
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta_Maxxum_7000> it's apparent to me
      now that the first Minolta AF cameras still had an ISO hot shoe.

      The real question I guess it whether the FS-1200 will adapt a Minolta AF
      flash unit to any TTL capable Minolta body with ISO shoe such as the
      X700? If so it would mean that the Sunpak 355AF could be used on the
      X700. However, this (now 10 year old) page
      <http://photo.net/equipment/minolta/flash> states that the
      "FS-1200 Allows current-production flashes to be mounted on the original
      5000, 7000, and 9000 cameras."
      No mention of manual focus cameras there. I just now downloaded the
      9000 user manual and see that, although it has an ISO foot with 3
      contacts it only speaks of using new AF flash units. Later, when the
      "i" series cameras were introduced with the non-standard shoe there was
      yet another series of "i" flash units introduced.

      Chuck Norcutt