Lucky or what

  • Ray Iverson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 22, 2012
      Hi all.I was going to look for the Dickcissels that Garry saw but friday is our banding day at Oak Hammock.Banding was slow today so we quit early and i headed out to my breeding bird area.Right near the western side of 14PA24 and the eastern side of 14PA14 i came across two Dickcissels together.I was pretty excited because i don`t recall ever seeing a Dickcissel.To get to the area from Winnipeg head out the Perimeter to #6 highway.Once on #6 go about half a mile and turn north on 236 toward Stonewall.Go past all the open area till you get to the bush area and 73N crosses 236 just before the long line of Pine Trees on the left.Turn left on 73N and after you go by the bush on your left about 400 feet farther on there is another big clump of trees on the left.The bird was about the middle of these two points.One flew to the hay field [again on the left]just before i drove on.Hope these directions are easy to follow. Ray Iverson Winnipeg

    • Ron & Emmy Wiebe
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 24, 2012
        Hi All

        Regarding the Dickcissel found by Ray. His directions to the spot were
        excellent and easy to find. To pinpoint it more exactly, one bird
        perched numerous times on the hydro line just above a tiny clump of oak
        brush in the north ditch. I observed at least 2, possibly 3, singing
        Dickcissels at this location. They were moving between, the line, the
        little bush, and the weedy hayfield.

        For those wanting a GPS location, it is 14 U 0619480 and 5548707.

        Ron Wiebe
        Charleswood, Wpg

        On 6/22/2012 4:21 PM, Ray Iverson wrote:

        > Hi all.I was going to look for the Dickcissels that Garry saw but
        > friday is our banding day at Oak Hammock.Banding was slow today so we
        > quit early and i headed out to my breeding bird area.Right near the
        > western side of 14PA24 and the eastern side of 14PA14 i came across
        > two Dickcissels together.I was pretty excited because i don`t recall
        > ever seeing a Dickcissel.To get to the area from Winnipeg head out the
        > Perimeter to #6 highway.Once on #6 go about half a mile and turn north
        > on 236 toward Stonewall.Go past all the open area till you get to the
        > bush area and 73N crosses 236 just before the long line of Pine Trees
        > on the left.Turn left on 73N and after you go by the bush on your left
        > about 400 feet farther on there is another big clump of trees on the
        > left.The bird was about the middle of these two points.One flew to the
        > hay field [again on the left]just before i drove on.Hope these
        > directions are easy to follow. Ray Iverson Winnipeg

      • Carole Penner
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 25, 2012
          Hello all,
          My sister and I went out this morning to look for the Dickcissels and they were exactly where Ray and Ron described, right down to the hydro line above the oak clump, and the exact GPS coordinates given.  I could hear them in the hay field immediately upon arriving, and only had to wait about 5 minutes before one of them (there were at least 2 for sure) perched up on the hydro line. Got excellent looks, heard a couple of variations of song. After initially worrying I would only hear them and not get a look, it seemed that the one bird was a bit of a show off, perching on the line, singing, moving closer, changing positions, showing us his front, then back, moving away, then coming closer again, singing all the while.  This was a life bird for me, and this was a particularly  accommodating bird, giving us a memorable first impression.

          Thanks to Ray and Ron for sharing this find and for the excellent directions.

          Carole Penner,
          Starbuck

          ________________________________
          Regarding the Dickcissel found by Ray. His directions to the spot were
          excellent and easy to find. To pinpoint it more exactly, one bird
          perched numerous times on the hydro line just above a tiny clump of oak
          brush in the north ditch. I observed at least 2, possibly 3, singing
          Dickcissels at this location. They were moving between, the line, the
          little bush, and the weedy hayfield.

          For those wanting a GPS location, it is 14 U 0619480 and 5548707.

          Ron Wiebe
          Charleswood, Wpg

          On 6/22/2012 4:21 PM, Ray Iverson wrote:

          > Hi all.I was going to look for the Dickcissels that Garry saw but
          > friday is our banding day at Oak Hammock.Banding was slow today so we
          > quit early and i headed out to my breeding bird area.Right near the
          > western side of 14PA24 and the eastern side of 14PA14 i came across
          > two Dickcissels together.I was pretty excited because i don`t recall
          > ever seeing a Dickcissel.To get to the area from Winnipeg head out the
          > Perimeter to #6 highway.Once on #6 go about half a mile and turn north
          > on 236 toward Stonewall.Go past all the open area till you get to the
          > bush area and 73N crosses 236 just before the long line of Pine Trees
          > on the left.Turn left on 73N and after you go by the bush on your left
          > about 400 feet farther on there is another big clump of trees on the
          > left.The bird was about the middle of these two points.One flew to the
          > hay field [again on the left]just before i drove on.Hope these
          > directions are easy to follow. Ray Iverson Winnipeg

        • Paul Friesen
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 26, 2012
            I found a singing male Dickcissel early this morning in the partially cut hayfield at the location described below. It was perched on the cut hay on the north side of the field (s. side of Road 76N).

            Thanks Ray and Ron for your postings regarding this life species for me.

            Paul Friesen
            Winnipeg (Charleswood)

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 26, 2012
              My Dickcissel posting earlier today contained a typing error. "76N" in the second line should be "73N".

              My apologies.

              Paul Friesen
              Winnipeg

              Hi Paul.I see you said 76N road.The ones i saw was on 73N.Is this a misprint or another different sighting.Ray

              Regarding the Dickcissel found by Ray. His directions to the spot were
              excellent and easy to find. To pinpoint it more exactly, one bird
              perched numerous times on the hydro line just above a tiny clump of oak
              brush in the north ditch. I observed at least 2, possibly 3, singing
              Dickcissels at this location. They were moving between, the line, the
              little bush, and the weedy hayfield.

              For those wanting a GPS location, it is 14 U 0619480 and 5548707.

              Ron Wiebe
              Charleswood, Wpg

              On 6/22/2012 4:21 PM, Ray Iverson wrote:

              > Hi all.I was going to look for the Dickcissels that Garry saw but
              > friday is our banding day at Oak Hammock.Banding was slow today so we
              > quit early and i headed out to my breeding bird area.Right near the
              > western side of 14PA24 and the eastern side of 14PA14 i came across
              > two Dickcissels together.I was pretty excited because i don`t recall
              > ever seeing a Dickcissel.To get to the area from Winnipeg head out the
              > Perimeter to #6 highway.Once on #6 go about half a mile and turn north
              > on 236 toward Stonewall.Go past all the open area till you get to the
              > bush area and 73N crosses 236 just before the long line of Pine Trees
              > on the left.Turn left on 73N and after you go by the bush on your left
              > about 400 feet farther on there is another big clump of trees on the
              > left.The bird was about the middle of these two points.One flew to the
              > hay field [again on the left]just before i drove on.Hope these
              > directions are easy to follow. Ray Iverson Winnipeg

            • Robb Nickel
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 27, 2012
                Greetings all,

                Jake Peters, Adolf Ens and I went out looking for the Dickcissel at the Ray
                Iverson location this morning and were fortunate enough to find a
                singing male. It cooperated by sitting on the hydro wire for a while and singing and also sang in the field across the road. My guess is that
                there was at least another one there from the singing I heard, but we
                only saw one at a time.
                On another matter, we drove over to Oak Hammock March to see if we could
                find the Laughing Gull. No luck on that one, however, we turned North
                off #67, heading up the road to the Marsh and just as we were about to
                cross the Parks Creek I spotted what I thought was a Brown Thrasher. We
                stopped the car and the bird, right before our very eyes, turned into a
                pair of Black-billed Cuckoos. They allowed good views for a couple of
                minutes and then disappeared into the grove of trees. They may be
                nesting there.
                Have a great day birding,
                Cheers,
                Robb Nickel
                Winnipeg

                ________________________________

                Hi Paul.I see you said 76N road.The ones i saw was on 73N.Is this a misprint or another different sighting.Ray

                Regarding the Dickcissel found by Ray. His directions to the spot were
                excellent and easy to find. To pinpoint it more exactly, one bird
                perched numerous times on the hydro line just above a tiny clump of oak
                brush in the north ditch. I observed at least 2, possibly 3, singing
                Dickcissels at this location. They were moving between, the line, the
                little bush, and the weedy hayfield.

                For those wanting a GPS location, it is 14 U 0619480 and 5548707.

                Ron Wiebe
                Charleswood, Wpg

                On 6/22/2012 4:21 PM, Ray Iverson wrote:

                > Hi all.I was going to look for the Dickcissels that Garry saw but
                > friday is our banding day at Oak Hammock.Banding was slow today so we
                > quit early and i headed out to my breeding bird area.Right near the
                > western side of 14PA24 and the eastern side of 14PA14 i came across
                > two Dickcissels together.I was pretty excited because i don`t recall
                > ever seeing a Dickcissel.To get to the area from Winnipeg head out the
                > Perimeter to #6 highway.Once on #6 go about half a mile and turn north
                > on 236 toward Stonewall.Go past all the open area till you get to the
                > bush area and 73N crosses 236 just before the long line of Pine Trees
                > on the left.Turn left on 73N and after you go by the bush on your left
                > about 400 feet farther on there is another big clump of trees on the
                > left.The bird was about the middle of these two points.One flew to the
                > hay field [again on the left]just before i drove on.Hope these
                > directions are easy to follow. Ray Iverson Winnipeg

              • Peter Taylor
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 27, 2012
                  Less exciting than the Dickcissel invasion, but two other incursions
                  seem to be underway. Black-billed Cuckoos are more numerous than usual
                  in the Lac du Bonnet area, with several as far into the boreal forest as
                  the Bird River Road the other day. I have also been getting a number of
                  single fly-bys from White-winged Crossbills, including one singing bird
                  near Tulabi Falls.

                  Peter Taylor
                  Pinawa, MB
                  50 N 96 W
                • Paul Friesen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 28, 2012
                    I should have posted this earlier, but I observed a male White-winged Crossbill (Road 14E just south of Road 146N) and heard a Black-billed Cuckoo (where Road 146N turns north to become Road 18E) in my breeding bird atlas square (north of Riverton, MB) June 17, 2012.

                    Paul Friesen
                    Winnipeg MB