MIGRANTS

  • Zach, Reto
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
      Last Sunday, September 30, I saw a late Philadelphia Vireo along the lake in
      Pinawa. It was with a small flock of warblers, almost all of them were
      Yellow-rumps. Later I ran into a small flock of four Brown Creepers. This
      surprised me because I usually see them singly and alone during fall
      migration. However, this may simply be a coincidence or only true for the
      places I visit. I know in the Old Country creepers sometimes associate with
      kinglets and chickadees. Have you seen Brown Creepers flock and associate
      with other species elsewhere in Manitoba?

      Reto Zach
      Whiteshell Research Establishment
      Pinawa, MB
    • Rob Parsons
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
        Hi Reto,

        You wrote, in part:

        >> Have you seen Brown Creepers flock and associate
        with other species elsewhere in Manitoba? >>

        I have frequently found creepers with both kinglets, Red-breasted
        Nuthatches and, occasionally, with Yellow-rumped Warblers. Of course, this
        isn't proof they were truly flocking with any of them. They might have
        independently homed in on some habitat which was attractive to all of them.
        Interesting speculation.

        I don't think I've ever seen as many as four creepers together.

        Cheers,

        Rob Parsons
        Winnipeg, MB
        CANADA
        rparsons@...
      • Ron Austin
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2008
          I can't remember if Palm Warbler has been added to this year's list. I saw one this morning (May 5) in KIng's Park.

          Ron Austin

        • De Smet, Ken (CON)
          Message 4 of 5 , May 9, 2008
            Yesterday, in the Pierson/Melita area, I observed an extremely large
            flock of Smith's Longspurs (hundreds) foraging in a stubble field.
            They appeared to be thinly scattered throughout the field, flushing up
            in small groups as I drove across the field

            For those looking for Collared Doves, the invasion appears to have
            started! There are reported to be a couple pairs in Lyleton (east end
            of town), but they have also shown up in Pierson in a major way,
            including several seen in the south and northeast ends of town.

            Cheers .....Ken
            Office: (204) 945-5439
            Fax: (204) 945-3077
            E-mail: Ken.DeSmet@... <mailto:kdesmet@...> (**REVISED;
            January/07)

            <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=2194297/grpspId=1705065787/m
            sgId=11500/stime=1210046669/nc1=4430620/nc2=4507179/nc3=4990217>

          • Ron Austin
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 17 8:24 AM
              Like some of the other postings, we've witnessed a major influx of migrants in the last couple of days. During the last several days we've had about 50 Dark-eyed Juncos in our yard in Fort Richmond. On Apr.15 we had 15(+) Purple Finches vying for a place on the sunflower feeder -- at one point seven male Purple Finches were chowing down on seeds beneath the feeder in the front yard. Certainly the largest number of Purple Finches we've seen in the yard. Between King's Park in Fort Richmond and Fort Whyte Alive (both in Winnipeg) I've seen eight Brown Creepers over the last two days. Good numbers of Hermit Thrushes, Fox Sparrows, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and a few Golden-crowned Kinglets were present in King's Park on Friday (Apr. 15).

              Ron Austin
              South Winnipeg