Fwd: Weather Sites

  • Myron
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11, 2004
      --- In WinnipegKiteboarders@yahoogroups.com, "Jim W" <ridehard@x>
      wrote:
      If anyone is interested in real time webbased weather sites in our
      area, now is the time to organize this - NOT in the middle of the
      summer!

      Where? Probably best bet is soliciting people with cottages and
      interested in sailing to donate the roof of their cottage as a
      location for an anemometer on a mast.

      What's in it for them? Not a whole lot. Well, if they are sailors,
      boaters, or hobby weather folks, likely the best deal would be to
      leave the basic display in their cottage.

      How? The subscriber/user's would have to pay for the install of a
      dedicated phone line to that person's cottage. The weather station
      would have a basic modem attached, and a central computer would dial
      that station on a pre-determined interval to download the readings,
      which would them be uploaded to a webpage.

      Locations? Whatever the most popular sites. Right now, VB is about
      it for the east side of L Winnipeg. The Harbour Master at Gimli
      agreed a couple of years back to allow his info to be used - not
      sure
      if that is still an open offer though. The Gimli airport is often
      not very representative of the wxx on the water. Oak Point on L. MB,
      NW of St. Laurent is ok, but that can be quite different than the
      south end of L. MB, too. The Delta site was the U of M, I think ,and
      that is not active, nor is Arness any more it seems.

      As a rough estimate, I figured about 2 years back that the "one-of"
      software, and basic station, modem, hardware for the initial site
      would be about $1200-$1500. Subsequent sites would be less (scale,
      etc). I've seen the Davis Weather Stations on Ebay, now, too. The
      cost of the phone line would be an on going cost of the basic MTS
      rate, long distance from the server computer to the remote modems.
      The webspace (depending on bandwidth and setup of that) and some
      basic electrical charge would be relatively insignificant, imo.

      The site would need some maintenance, and calibration occasionally I
      expect, aside from the initial effort to install.

      Depending on subscribers, interest, cost, etc, there may be the
      option to add pagers and/or text messaging wind alerts.

      What's needed? The problem I had before is that everyone talks this
      up as a great idea, but when you come to the point of asking how
      much
      money people are willing to commit to the idea there is a sudden
      silence. This would not be free - that's just not a reasonable
      expectation.

      Is it worth the time, effort and cash outlay?

      Jim
      --- End forwarded message ---
    • McMahon, Robert (CON)
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 20, 2004
        Hello Jim W,

        Great idea! While I can't directly help you out, I have made use of the
        Davis Wireless Vantage Pro weather station for work. Nevertheless, it
        appears that Yorkton Flying Services (in Saskatchewan) offers possibly
        comparable weather stations for much less than the cost of the Davis
        equipment:

        http://www.gpsyorkton.com/weather_products.htm

        Thanks for trying to make this happen.

        Robert McMahon