New poll for Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club

  • Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2008
      Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club group:

      This groups moderator has not posted on this forum in over a year.
      I checked with Yahoo and in order to change a moderator we need to do a poll of members.
      Would you like to see the moderator of this group changed?
      See choices below:

      o donthiessen
      o leave as is

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!
    • Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 25, 2010
        Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club group:

        Take a look at the site www.thewindsurfer.com. Would you feel a site similar to this would be better than the current setup? Select all the options that apply.

        o I would use a site like that more often
        o I can see some improvement with a site liek that, but am unsure.
        o I like the idea of the Yahoo group
        o I'll go where ever has the most information about windsurfing in Manitoba.
        o I could share a webpage liek that with kiters and snow kiters,
        o I think the page should only be for windsurfers.

        web site listed above.

        Thanks!
      • Paul Shipman
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 3, 2010
          I have some thoughts about what we could do as a website (as well as how to build it) if we're interested. Who posted the poll?

          Thanks,
          Paul

          On 2010-09-25, at [Sep 25] 6:22 PM, Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club group:

          Take a look at the site www.thewindsurfer.com. Would you feel a site similar to this would be better than the current setup? Select all the options that apply.

          o I would use a site like that more often
          o I can see some improvement with a site liek that, but am unsure.
          o I like the idea of the Yahoo group
          o I'll go where ever has the most information about windsurfing in Manitoba.
          o I could share a webpage liek that with kiters and snow kiters,
          o I think the page should only be for windsurfers.

          web site listed above.

          Thanks!

          Paul Shipman
          The sky is my ceiling, the ground is my floor, these walls I create myself

        • Lawrence
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 11, 2010
            Hey, that was me that posted it. Share your ideas, I do some web stuff as a hobby, and was thinking about doing it for the experience and to help the windsurfing community.

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 11, 2010
              Ok, so I'm maybe getting into a little overkill, but the following is what I would propose. I am able to code it and provide hosting, and if anyone wants to help, I'd love to share the work.

              1. A website that lets us all register and continue an active mailing list like we have today
              2. A website that records common/popular sailing locations, complete with google maps and driving directions. Ability for users to suggest gear, rig setups, lunch spots, etc for the given location
              3. The ability to create a sailing calendar session that others can accept to indicate that they will be joining. Making this public might encourage new users to come out when they know a few of us are around.
              4. Pulls information direct from Environment canada for the locations that we sail. EC offers XML feeds that anyone can pull direct from the web, every hour on the hour with wind direction, strength, gusts, temperature, etc.
              5. Depending on interest, an ability to create an individual sailing profile logging equipment and other stats. This could get used to develop a common profile of recommended equipment for new sailors, or to suggest specific equipment to others based on height/weight and wind profile based on the success that other sailors have had with said equipment.

              That's about the gist so far.

              Thanks,
              Paul

              On 2010-10-11, at [Oct 11] 8:51 PM, Lawrence wrote:

              Hey, that was me that posted it. Share your ideas, I do some web stuff as a hobby, and was thinking about doing it for the experience and to help the windsurfing community.

              --- In Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club@yahoogroups.com, Paul Shipman <shipmanp@...> wrote:

              > I have some thoughts about what we could do as a website (as well as how to build it) if we're interested. Who posted the poll?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Paul
              >
              > On 2010-09-25, at [Sep 25] 6:22 PM, Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              > > Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club group:
              > >
              > > Take a look at the site www.thewindsurfer.com. Would you feel a site similar to this would be better than the current setup? Select all the options that apply.
              > >
              > > o I would use a site like that more often
              > > o I can see some improvement with a site liek that, but am unsure.
              > > o I like the idea of the Yahoo group
              > > o I'll go where ever has the most information about windsurfing in Manitoba.
              > > o I could share a webpage liek that with kiters and snow kiters,
              > > o I think the page should only be for windsurfers.

              > > not collected via email. To vote, you must go to the Yahoo! Groups
              > > web site listed above.
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > >

              > Paul Shipman
              > shipmanp@...
              > The sky is my ceiling, the ground is my floor, these walls I create myself

              Paul Shipman
              The sky is my ceiling, the ground is my floor, these walls I create myself

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 12, 2010
                --- In Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club@yahoogroups.com, Paul Shipman <shipmanp@...> wrote:

                > Ok, so I'm maybe getting into a little overkill, but the following is what I would propose. I am able to code it and provide hosting, and if anyone wants to help, I'd love to share the work.
                >
                > A website that lets us all register and continue an active mailing list like we have today
                > A website that records common/popular sailing locations, complete with google maps and driving directions. Ability for users to suggest gear, rig setups, lunch spots, etc for the given location
                > The ability to create a sailing calendar session that others can accept to indicate that they will be joining. Making this public might encourage new users to come out when they know a few of us are around.
                > Pulls information direct from Environment canada for the locations that we sail. EC offers XML feeds that anyone can pull direct from the web, every hour on the hour with wind direction, strength, gusts, temperature, etc.
                > Depending on interest, an ability to create an individual sailing profile logging equipment and other stats. This could get used to develop a common profile of recommended equipment for new sailors, or to suggest specific equipment to others based on height/weight and wind profile based on the success that other sailors have had with said equipment.
                >
                > That's about the gist so far.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Paul
                >
                > On 2010-10-11, at [Oct 11] 8:51 PM, Lawrence wrote:
                >
                > > Hey, that was me that posted it. Share your ideas, I do some web stuff as a hobby, and was thinking about doing it for the experience and to help the windsurfing community.
                > >
                > > --- In Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club@yahoogroups.com, Paul Shipman <shipmanp@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I have some thoughts about what we could do as a website (as well as how to build it) if we're interested. Who posted the poll?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks,
                > > > Paul

                > > > Paul Shipman
                > > > shipmanp@
                > > > The sky is my ceiling, the ground is my floor, these walls I create myself
                > > >

                > Paul Shipman
                > shipmanp@...
                > The sky is my ceiling, the ground is my floor, these walls I create myself
                >I like this idea
              • Steve Lecce
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 12, 2010
                  I think it would be great if we could get something like this up and going.
                  Steven Lecce, PhD
                  Associate Professor and Graduate Chair
                  Department of Political Studies
                  Associate Director (Law and Politics) and Research Fellow
                  Centre for Professional and Applied Ethics
                  University of Manitoba
                  521 Fletcher Argue
                  Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3T 5V5
                  Phone: (204)474-7850
                  Fax: (204) 474-7585
                  e-mail: lecce@...
                  stevenlecce@...

                • shipmanp@mts.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 13, 2010
                    Hey are any of us good at graphics? Based on the two bits of positive feedback I've gotten on this idea, I'm going to register a domain name and start building the website. I'm thinking it would be nice if we had a logo though...

                    Thanks,
                    Paul

                    The sky is my ceiling, the ground is my floor, these walls I create myself.

                    To: Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club@yahoogroups.com
                    From: markfranklin1953@...
                    Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 02:43:13 +0000
                    Subject: [Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club] Re: New poll for Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club

                    --- In Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club@yahoogroups.com, Paul Shipman <shipmanp@...> wrote:

                    > Ok, so I'm maybe getting into a little overkill, but the following is what I would propose. I am able to code it and provide hosting, and if anyone wants to help, I'd love to share the work.
                    >
                    > A website that lets us all register and continue an active mailing list like we have today
                    > A website that records common/popular sailing locations, complete with google maps and driving directions. Ability for users to suggest gear, rig setups, lunch spots, etc for the given location
                    > The ability to create a sailing calendar session that others can accept to indicate that they will be joining. Making this public might encourage new users to come out when they know a few of us are around.
                    > Pulls information direct from Environment canada for the locations that we sail. EC offers XML feeds that anyone can pull direct from the web, every hour on the hour with wind direction, strength, gusts, temperature, etc.
                    > Depending on interest, an ability to create an individual sailing profile logging equipment and other stats. This could get used to develop a common profile of recommended equipment for new sailors, or to suggest specific equipment to others based on height/weight and wind profile based on the success that other sailors have had with said equipment.
                    >
                    > That's about the gist so far.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Paul
                    >
                    > On 2010-10-11, at [Oct 11] 8:51 PM, Lawrence wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hey, that was me that posted it. Share your ideas, I do some web stuff as a hobby, and was thinking about doing it for the experience and to help the windsurfing community.
                    > >
                    > > --- In Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club@yahoogroups.com, Paul Shipman <shipmanp@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I have some thoughts about what we could do as a website (as well as how to build it) if we're interested. Who posted the poll?
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks,
                    > > > Paul

                    > > > Paul Shipman
                    > > > shipmanp@
                    > > > The sky is my ceiling, the ground is my floor, these walls I create myself
                    > > >

                    > Paul Shipman
                    > shipmanp@...
                    > The sky is my ceiling, the ground is my floor, these walls I create myself
                    >I like this idea

                  • Lawrence
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 13, 2010
                      Hey, I can definitely start working on a few designs for a logo. And Paul I would like to help building the site as well. I also feel for login we should use the open login systems that lets people register with there google, yahoo, facebook extra accounts, I believe there are several open source options available.

                      Lawrence
                      Looking forward to the next windy day in this warm fall

                      --- In Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club@yahoogroups.com, <shipmanp@...> wrote:

                      > Hey are any of us good at graphics? Based on the two bits of positive feedback I've gotten on this idea, I'm going to register a domain name and start building the website. I'm thinking it would be nice if we had a logo though...
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Paul
                      >
                      > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      > The sky is my ceiling, the ground is
                      > my floor, these walls I create myself.
                      >

                      > To: Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: markfranklin1953@...
                      > Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 02:43:13 +0000
                      > Subject: [Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club] Re: New poll for Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club

                      > --- In Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club@yahoogroups.com, Paul Shipman <shipmanp@> wrote:
                      >

                      > > Ok, so I'm maybe getting into a little overkill, but the following is what I would propose. I am able to code it and provide hosting, and if anyone wants to help, I'd love to share the work.
                      >

                      > > A website that lets us all register and continue an active mailing list like we have today
                      >
                      > > A website that records common/popular sailing locations, complete with google maps and driving directions. Ability for users to suggest gear, rig setups, lunch spots, etc for the given location
                      >
                      > > The ability to create a sailing calendar session that others can accept to indicate that they will be joining. Making this public might encourage new users to come out when they know a few of us are around.
                      >
                      > > Pulls information direct from Environment canada for the locations that we sail. EC offers XML feeds that anyone can pull direct from the web, every hour on the hour with wind direction, strength, gusts, temperature, etc.
                      >
                      > > Depending on interest, an ability to create an individual sailing profile logging equipment and other stats. This could get used to develop a common profile of recommended equipment for new sailors, or to suggest specific equipment to others based on height/weight and wind profile based on the success that other sailors have had with said equipment.
                      >

                      > > That's about the gist so far.
                      >

                      > > Thanks,
                      >
                      > > Paul
                      >

                      > > On 2010-10-11, at [Oct 11] 8:51 PM, Lawrence wrote:
                      >

                      > > > Hey, that was me that posted it. Share your ideas, I do some web stuff as a hobby, and was thinking about doing it for the experience and to help the windsurfing community.

                      > > Paul Shipman
                      >
                      > > shipmanp@

                      > > The sky is my ceiling, the ground is my floor, these walls I create myself
                      >
                      > >I like this idea

                    • Alsurf
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 13, 2010
                        Great idea, guys. I'll look forward to seeing the results.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 21, 2010
                          Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club group:

                          Take a look at my recent post, "3 Choices for new Logo" on October 22nd. Than vote for your favorite logo.

                          o Logo 1 - jumping from 3 waves
                          o Logo 2 - Wheat and jumping
                          o Logo 3 - Manitoba and rider

                          web site listed above.

                          Thanks!
                        • Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club@yahoogroups.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 10, 2011
                            Manitoba_Windsurfing_Club group:

                            Please indicate whether or not you would use the following features of a Manitoba Windsurfing website:

                            o Sailing Calendar - create an event that others can register for/register for an event that someone creates (ie, going sailing on Wednesday at Willow)
                            o Sail log - if registered for event, the site automatically records wind speeds and associates with the equipment you used.
                            o List of sailing locations with map, amenities, current conditions and forecast
                            o Automatic email/txt message notification of wind events (ie over 20knots, you decide)
                            o Record your sailing equipment and height/weight/build - used for equipment vs weather statistics for new and old sailors
                            o Record your sailing equipment and let others view it for borrowing/learning
                            o Forum for classifieds, techniques, other message boarding
                            o Email contact list (probably wouldn't function the same as Yahoo)

                            web site listed above.

                            Thanks!