SPECIAL NOTICE

  • salusoz
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2004
      Dear Members,

      We are still growing, growing and growing. We have now more than 900
      members. Soon we will touch the threshold of 1000 members. With the
      new crop of this year let us grow with more acceleration and be
      helpful to our fellow MangaloreanCatholic in our localities around
      the globe.

      Yesterday was the day of Monti Fest a unique day for all
      Mangaloreans. As we follow our ancestors culture in the name of our
      Lady our roots are deepen in the soil of our land.

      Recently when I was researching about our people I spotted Catholic
      Konkani people from the southern part of Maharashtra. i.e. people
      living in Ratnagiri, Kudal, Manngaon area. They use Devnagiri script
      for writing Konkani. What I found in them is they celebrate Monti
      Fest in a similar way that Mangaloreans do. But this culture is
      totally forgotton in Goa. May be the Purtugese banned them to follow
      our ancestors practices in Goa.

      We published 33 messages yesterday in a single day. We could not
      avoid publishing them as everyone wanted to wish for Monti Fest and
      everyone had some stuff to give to their fellow Mangaloreans. Hence
      some of our members might have faced problem of their mail getting
      flooding. We apologize with them and if they have faced any problem
      then we kindly request them to inform us at salusoz@... so
      that we can suggest them the appropriate remedy.

      Since last one week we have changed the settings of all new members
      who joined after August 1st to get their mails in Daily Digest basis.
      i.e. they receive only one message per day. This message contains
      index and content of all the messages. However if any of these
      members want to receive messages individually then we suggest you to
      do your settings yourself by visiting
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MangaloreanCatholics
      and clicking "Edit My Membership" option.
      If any other member wants to get mails in Daily Digest style then
      please inform me at salusoz@... or do it yourself by visiting

      Today while browsing I was delighted to spot a new site. i.e.
      http://kodial.blogspot.com/

      This site is developed by Mr. Conrad Roche using BLOGS.

      I loved his concept because he is using his site to give constructive
      criticism about MangaloreanCatholics group.

      Check out what he has written on 22nd June.
      http://kodial.blogspot.com/2004/06/junk-mail.html
      __________
      Tuesday, June 22, 2004
      Junk Mail
      There seem to be a lot of junk mail on the mangaloreancatholics list
      lately. No, not spam. Ppl are sending jokes and mails of that kind.
      You know what I mean.

      Its just a start, I believe.

      If it continues, it doesn't bode too well for the group. The normal
      discussions will get bogged down by these junk mails and ppl will
      move away from the group. Not everyone has the bandwidth. Out here I
      just delete it and say forgetaboutit, not so for ppl on dial-up.

      posted by Conrad | 10:58 AM

      We have more than 400 members to this new funloving group within few
      days and the leisure stuff is flooding in that group. I am sure you
      will get lot of stuff over there that will help you to conduct your
      parties more jovially

      Please check out some of the Conrads links that concerns our group
      http://kodial.blogspot.com/
      http://kodial.blogspot.com/2004/06/another-perspective-on-group.html
      http://kodial.blogspot.com/2004/06/junk-mail.html
      http://kodial.blogspot.com/2004/07/more-mangalorean-sites.html
      http://kodial.blogspot.com/2004/06/ethnologue.html
      http://kodial.blogspot.com/2004/06/konkani-convention-26th-to-
      29th.html
      http://kodial.blogspot.com/2004_06_01_kodial_archive.html
      http://kodial.blogspot.com/2004_07_01_kodial_archive.html

      Congrats Conrad. You are doing good job for our community and for
      MangaloreanCatholics group.

      You may tell your friends to become our members by sending blank
      email to
      MangaloreanCatholics-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      If you are a fun loving person then please become the member of our
      other group MangyJokes by sending blank email to
      MangyJokes-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      You can find the homepage of this new group at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MangyJokes/

      Alternatively you may also send us the email address of your
      MangaloreanCatholics friends so that we can give invitation to them
      to join our group. We assure you that we will keep all these emails
      in a safe custody and will not share them with anybody for whatever
      reason.

      Dev Borem Korum,
      Salu Soz.
    • maurice dmello
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9, 2004
        Mogall Salu Soz,

        The following was sent to me by a friend. May be our friends find it useful :

        A Story on how to manage your career & your expectations - by
        R.Gopalakrishnan - Vice Chairman, Tata Group of Companies

        There is a Thai saying that experience is a comb which Nature gives to
        man after he is bald. As I grow bald, I would like to share my comb with
        your people, about their career ahead.

        1. Seek out grassroots level experience

        I studied Physics and Engineering at University. A few months before
        graduation, I appeared for an HLL interview for Computer Traineeship.When
        asked whether I would consider Marketing instead of Computers, I
        responded negatively : an engineer to visit grocery shops to sell Dalda or
        Lifebuoy? Gosh, no way. After I joined the Company and a couple of
        comfortable weeks in the swanky Head Office, I was given a train ticket to
        go to Nasik.Would I please meet Mr. Kelkar to whom I would be attached
        for the next two months? He would teach me to work as a salesman in his
        territory, which included staying in Kopargaon and Pimpalgaon among
        other small towns.I was most upset. ! In a town called Ozhar, I was moving
        around from shop to shop with a bullock cart full of products and a
        salesman's folder in my hand. Imagine my embarrassment when an IIT friend
        appeared in front of me in Ozhar, believe it or not! and exclaimed,
        "Gopal, I thought you joined as a Management Trainee in Computers". I
        could have died a thousand deaths. After this leveling experience, I
        was less embarrassed to work as a Despatch Clerk in the Company Depot
        and an Invoice Clerk in the Accounts Department. Several years later, I
        realised the value of such grassroots level experience. It is fantastic.
        I would advise young people to seek out nail-dirtying, collar-soiling,
        shoe-wearing tasks. That is how you learn about organizations, about
        the true nature of work, and the dignity of the many, many tasks that go
        into building great enterprises.

        2. Deserve before you desire

        At one stage, I was appointed as the Brand Manager for! Lifebuoy and
        Pears soap, the company's most popular-priced and most premium soaps. And
        what was a Brand Manager? "A mini-businessman, responsible for the
        production, sales and profits of the brand, accountable for its long-term
        growth,etc.,etc. I had read those statements, I believed them and here I
        was, at 27,"in charge of everything". But very soon, I found I could
        not move a pin without checking with my seniors. One evening, after
        turning the Facit machine handle through various calculations, I sat in
        front of the Marketing Director. I expressed my frustration and gently
        asked whether I could not be given total charge. He smiled benignly and
        said, "The perception and reality are both right. You will get total
        charge when you know more about the brand than anyone else in this company
        about its formulation, the raw materials, the production costs, the
        consumer's perception, the distribution and so on. How long do you think
        that will take?" "Maybe, ten years", I replied, "and I don't expect to
        be the Lifebuoy and Pears Brand Manager for so long"! And then
        suddenly, the lesson was clear. I was desiring total control, long before I
        deserved it. This happens to us all the time - in terms of
        responsibilities, in terms of postings and promotions, it happens all the time that
        there is a gap between our perception of what we deserve and the reality
        of what we get.It helps to deserve before we desire.

        3 Play to win but win with fairness

        Life is competitive and of course, you play to win. But think about the
        balance. Will you do anything, to win? Perhaps not. Think deeply about
        how and where you draw the line. Each person draws it differently, and
        in doing so, it helps to think about values. Winning without values
        provides dubious fulfillment. The leaders who have contributed the most
        are the ones with a set of universal values. Mahatma Gandhi and
        Martin Luther King for example. Napoleon inspired a ragged, mutinous and
        half-starved army to fight and seize power. This brought him name and
        fame for twenty years. But all the while, he was driven forward by a
        selfish and evil ambition, and not in pursuit of a great ideal. He finally
        fell because of his selfish ambition. I am fond of referring to the
        Pierre de Coubertin Fair Play Trophy. It was instituted in 1964 by the
        founder of the modern Olympic Games and here are two examples of winners.

        A Hungarian tennis player who pleaded with the umpire to give his
        opponent some more time to recover from a cramp. A British kayak team
        who were trailing the Danish kayak team. They then stopped to help the
        Danish team whose boat was stuck. The Danes went on to beat the British
        by one second in a three hour Event! What wonderful examples of
        sportsmanship! Play to Win, but with Fairness.

        4 Enjoy whatever you do

        Sir Thomas Lipton is credited with the statement, "There is no greater
        fun than hard work". You usually excel in fields, which you truly
        enjoy. Ask any person what it is that interferes with his enjoyment of
        existence. He will say, "The struggle for life". What he probably means is
        the struggle for success. Unless a person has learnt what to do with
        success after getting it, the very achievement of it must lead him to
        unhappiness. Aristotle wrote, "Humans seek happiness as an end in itself,
        not as a means to something else". But if you think about it, we should
        not work for happiness. We should work as happy people. In
        organisational life, people get busy doing something to be happy. The more you try
        to be happy, the more unhappy you can get. Your work and career is all
        about your reaching your full potential. Working at one's full
        potential, whether it is the office boy or the Chairman, leads to enjoyment and
        fulfillment. A last point about enjoyment. Keep a sense of humour about
        yourself. Too many people are in danger of taking themselves far too
        seriously. As General Joe Stilwell is reported to have said, "Keep
        smiling. The higher the monkey climbs, the more you can see of his
        backside".

        5 Be Passionate about your health

        Of course, as you get older, you would have a slight paunch, greying of
        hair or loss of it and so on. But it is in the first 5 - 7 years after
        the working career begins that the greatest neglect of youthful health
        occurs.Sportsmen stop playing sports, non drinkers drink alcohol,
        light smokers smoke more, active people sit on chairs, starving inmates of
        hostels eatrich food in good hotels and so on. These are the years to
        watch. Do not, I repeat do not, convince yourself that you are too busy,
        or that you do not have access to facilities, or worst of ! all, that
        you do this to relieve the stresses of a professional career. A
        professional career is indeed very stressful. There is only one person who can
        help you to cope with the tension, avoid the doctor's scalpel,and to
        feel good each morning - and that is yourself. God has given us as good a
        health as He has, a bit like a credit balance in the bank. Grow
        it,maintain it, but do not allow its value destruction. The penalty is very
        high in later years.

        6 Direction is more important than distance

        Every golfer tries to drive the ball to a very long distance. In the
        process, all sorts of mistakes occur because the game involves the
        masterly co-ordination of several movements simultaneously. The golf coach
        always advises that direction is more important than distance. So it is
        with life. Despite one¡¦s best attempts, there will be ups and downs.
        It is relationships and friendships that enable a p! erson to navigate
        the choppy waters that the ship of life will encounter. When I was young,
        there was a memorable film by Frank Capra, starring James Stewart and
        Dona Reed, and named IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. It is about a man who is
        about to commit suicide because he thinks he is a failure. An angel is
        sent to rescue him. The bottomline of the film is that "No Man is a
        Failure Who Has Friends".

        Conclusion
        My generation will never be twenty again, but when you are older, you
        can and should be different from my generation. Ours is a great and
        wonderful country, and realising her true potential in the global arena
        depends ever so much on the quality and persistence of our young people.
        Good luck in your journey, my young friends, and God be with you and our
        beloved Nation.

        ----------------------------
        Mog Asom

        Maurice
      • Victor Prabhu
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9, 2004
          Hi Salu!

          Good on you mate!

          At last a good soul like U has taken the initiative to something for us Mangis. Shall try my best to be in Mangalore for the Mangi Mela in December this year.

          The website looks great. Keep up the good work and all the very best.!!

          Until then Uroo.

          Victor Mascarenhas Melbourne, Australia.

        • Jessie
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 10, 2004
            Dear Mr. Maurice,

            Thanks a lot for sharing this "How to Manage your career & your
            expectations" .... its really worth reading and then spending some
            time to think on this too.

            Thanks for your wishes to the younger generation. May God bless you
            too and your loved ones.

            Dev Borem Korum
            Jess