Whatha?

  • Ericka
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
      I'm all excited, I go away for the weekend, I come back, and there are
      people in the group! Honest to goodness people!

      I created this group on a whim... I thought it'd be great if we could
      all get messages out to one another. Gina does a great job, but we
      don't all have her list of emails. :)

      I know most of you are familiar with Yahoo Groups, but if you aren't,
      know that you can post pictures, links, or other files that are of
      interest to the group. New finished object? We wanna see! Found an
      online pattern that amazes you? Share it!

      But mostly, this is just here as a Knitting Emergency Broadcast System.

      And Hooray for meeting new friends!

      See you all Wednesday!
    • briagha@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005

        Erica,

        Where is your report of what came home with you from Vermont????
        Inquiring yarn enablers need to know!!

        Denise

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
          All right :)

          I would highly recommend the VT Sheep and Wool Festival. -Firstly,
          anything that brings you to Vermont this time of year has to be good
          for your soul. -Second, the vendors are just amazing. Every flavor
          fiber, every type of cute, yarn-bearing creature, every manner of
          expert, all in one place. I touched and petted and squeezed and
          smelled until I was cross eyed (the yarn and animals, not the
          experts). I tried out about five different types of spinning wheels.
          I had never spun before that day! -Third, the work shops. Chris and
          I went to a beginning spinning workshop, and it was really a fun time.
          I may say more about that later. There were workshops on successful
          online businesses, spinning novelty yarns, sweater design; all taught
          by understanding experts, all filled with people just as curious as
          you are.

          And you know what? If you didn't find it at the festival,
          Kaleidescope Yarns is right down the road. The only thing this store
          is missing is a comfy chair and a coffee pot. And you know what beats
          that? There was a tent sale that day. I'm blessed. However, the
          yarns I walked away with (four skeins of Lorna's Laces) weren't on
          sale, as they take so long to get in. But that's ok, I could have
          gotten wonderful cheap yarn had I chosen to.

          And you know what else is in Burlington? Yep, Ben and Jerry's. Take
          a tour, get a scoop, buy a shot glass, um, I mean, a toothpick holder.
          A 2 oz. toothpick holder.

          So, the final haul:
          four skeins of Lorna's Laces (all four of them gifts. I don't know
          what I was thinking either. Well, I guess I do. 2 are for my secret
          pal, one is for my sister, who I wanted to lure into the world of
          wonderful yarn, and one for a friend who likes fun fur waaay too much.
          The last two are traps, you see.)

          Two bags of wool roving, white, brown, blue and red (this is actually
          left over from the class.

          A beautiful drop spindle made of tulip wood from the couple over at
          http://www.journeywheel.com They had a few using mammoth tusks and
          teeth. I kid you not. You can buy a mammoth tusk on ebay. They turn
          this and make beautiful spindles. At 180 bucks a pop. Yeah, mine is
          wood. Plain, pretty, less expensive wood.

          Chris picked out a beautiful angora tweed by garn with which to make a
          hat. Two skeins, just in case. Not even knitting two weeks yet,
          already can't have enough yarn.

          I got a cute bag of little tablets with a lavender scent. These are
          meant to go in with your yarn or projects. This spoke to me, as I
          love it when I pull my yarn out and it smells good. So that's living
          in my chest with my stash.

          Five bars of hand made goat milk soap. Maybe it was too close to
          lunch, but these smelled so good. From Maggie's Farm on the Delaware,
          Riegelsville, PA

          A name tag clip by Creations Jacqueline. Polymer clay, little sheep.
          She makes picture frames, pins, magnets, lamp-chain pulls, you name
          it, this woman can make it cuter with a little, clay sheep. I have
          her email, I don't think she has a website. Can't read her card, as
          it's in French.

          And I think that's it. I got some stuff for Gina, but she's going to
          have to wait til Wednesday to find out what it is, so I'm afraid
          everyone else does too ;)

          and, I didn't buy anything from her, but http://www.movingmud.com has
          some of the greatest buttons I have ever seen.

          And, since someone is going to ask: spinning was great. I made a few
          death threats to a few wheels, and I don't think that that particular
          Lundrum will be sending me a Christmas card, but I have found that I
          want a double-treadle Louet. Everyone listening? My birthday is the
          first of December ;) Anyway, I have a miserable little ball of yarn,
          which I am going to keep and frame, so that when I have a little
          corner of the house in which I spin, I can look at that horrible
          bundle of yarn and feel grateful.

          OK, off to bed. Everyone take care. See you soon :o)

          Ericka

          --- In ManchVegasKnitting@yahoogroups.com, briagha@c... wrote:

          > Erica,
          >
          > Where is your report of what came home with you from Vermont????
          > Inquiring yarn enablers need to know!!
          >
          > Denise
          > I'm all excited, I go away for the weekend, I come back, and there
          are
          > people in the group! Honest to goodness people!
          >
          > I created this group on a whim... I thought it'd be great if we
          could
          > all get messages out to one another. Gina does a great job, but we
          > don't all have her list of emails. :)
          >
          > I know most of you are familiar with Yahoo Groups, but if you
          aren't,
          > know that you can post pictures, links, or other files that are of
          > interest to the group. New finished object? We wanna see! Found
          an
          > online pattern that amazes you? Share it!
          >
          > But mostly, this is just here as a Knitting Emergency Broadcast
          System.

          > And Hooray for meeting new friends!
          >
          > See you all Wednesday!

          > Knitting Craft
          >

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > Visit your group "ManchVegasKnitting" on the web.

          Service.