Does anyone know the different ports of arrival?

  • carmenborg@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 18, 2011
      For an example.... What route would they travel to get to France or England?
    • eman azzopardi
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 18, 2011
        Hi, attached please find a link to some interesting reading about Maltese Migration.

        Regards

        Evan

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 19, 2011
          Thanks for that Evan.  Very interesting read!  I will add that as a link for others to read.  I found the following paragraphs most interesting:

          One other difficulty in establishing the number of emigrants during the period in question is that Malta had no direct routes with the receiving countries and therefore, most emigrants had to go to North America or Australia through a European port. Ships calling at Valletta sailed for Naples, Genoa, Marseilles or Le Havre and then the Maltese had to embark on a transatlantic liner. Men who left Malta's ports in this manner would be listed as having gone to Europe and not to America or Australia. It is also a known fact that a sizeable number of passengers who had embarked for North African ports such as , Port Said, Tripoli or Tunis, would then carry on their journey to more distant parts of the world.

          Also,

          Their country of origin was largely unknown and because of this they very often aroused suspicion. The Maltese described themselves as Europeans who were also British subjects. But to call oneself British without being able to speak English was somewhat contradictory.

          These paragraphs gives insight as to the complexity of their emigration.

          Thanks again, Carmen

          Hi, attached please find a link to some interesting reading about Maltese Migration.

          http://www.maltamigration.com/history/earlymigration1.shtml?s=ADF535A9-5775C5A8-7DBC19074324-7FF.shtml?s=ADF535A9-5775C5A8-7DBC19074324-7FF

          Regards

          Evan

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
            Carmen and all,

            If you a searching for a particular person, this is the link for a great site to track the passport issued on the name of the person concerned. http://www.geneanum.com/malte/bases/passeports.html

            You can than go to Santo Spirito Archives to view the original passport and you can also order a copy or a digital image of the document.
            If you don't know the exact date, it can be somewhat complicated since you will have to search all the persons having that name to get to the person you want. A great relief is that many of the passports have photos attached. These documents provide very useful information including Physical details of the holder, address of residence and the destination at the time of issue of the passport. Some also have birth certificates or recommendations by priests or other influential persons attached.

            The website http://www.geneanum.com/malte.html also contains links to some marriages, births and deaths of Maltese persons.

            http://ellisisland.org/ will help you trace ancestors moving to the USA or Canada since it acted as a gateway for immigrants between 1892 and 1954.

            Hope this information helps some of the members. I you need any clarifications just ask.
            Happy searches :-)

            Best regards
            Evan

            For an example.... What route would they travel to get to France or England?

          • Carmen
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
              When you say "view the original passport" do you mean  the actual document or the indexed information?

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
                You can actually view the original actual documents. Some of them are not in a very good state but its an interesting experience. I found my grand grandfather's dating back to 1916. I also managed to trace his entrance into America through Ellis Island.

                Regards

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
                  That is Awesome!!  I thought you could only get the passport number and then you had to submit a request to the National Archives to get the original.  Thank so the info.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
                    Just to be clear you are saying you can view the original document at the archives NOT online.  Still Awesome!

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
                      Carmen,

                      To view the original document, go into that site search the person and when you find it go to the National archives with the number you find near the index and the year of issue, and ask them to get to view the passport number so and so of year so and so.

                      Eg:
                      1937-08-20
                      20-08-1937      MICALLEF
                      Joseph
                          Motor Assembler
                      Hamrun     U.K.        Photo      37456    20086

                      The Passport number is 20086 of 1937.

                      As I said you may have more than one Joseph Micallef of Hamrun so you have to view more than 1 instance,