Did you know .....

  • carmenborg@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2011
      Did you know that sometimes Malta is shown as Malta, Italy? Next time you do a search try putting in Malta, Italy. Sometimes it shows up as their last residence and sometimes it reads as country of birth. Look under "Links" for an example.
    • carmenborg@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 19, 2011
        --- In Maltese_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "carmenborg@..." <carmenborg@...> wrote:

        > Did you know that SOMETIMES Malta is shown as Malta, Italy? Next time you do a search try putting in Malta, Italy to see what comes up. Sometimes it shows up as their last residence and sometimes it reads as country of birth. Look under "Links" for an example. Please refer to

        http://www.ellisisland.org/search/viewTextManifest.asp?MID=03476169350231629792&pID=100080020105.

        If anyone else finds an example please post. I was surprised to see it therefore I will have to remember this point of interest. Regards, Carmen
      • carmenborg@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 19, 2011

        • Maltese_Genealogy-owner@yahoogroups.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 19, 2011
            I found another reference of Malta being referred to as Malta, Italy.

            http://www.everyculture.com/multi/Le-Pa/Maltese-Americans.html

            On this website it reads:

            The earliest Maltese settlers in the United States came in the mid-eighteenth century, mostly to New Orleans. These settlers were often regarded as Italians, and in fact tombstones sometimes mistakenly noted the deceased as "natives of Malta, Italy."
          • eman azzopardi
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 20, 2011
              Thanks.

              Very interesting.