Re : [Maltese_Genealogy] Re: Re : XUEREB family from Tunis and Balzan for Frank

  • josyanne massa
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 14, 2012
      Hello Frank
      with my cousin Bernard FARRUGIA we always suspected "our" Annunziato BORG not to be married as well
      anyway Bernard told me that he had illigetimate children , as the son and the grand son had done the same thing ;;; lots of children from different women  he is now trying to link them together
      2 of his uncles are still alive and love to tell gossips concerning their families
      so we might be able to link them together
      I will call him - pity I had no time to see him on saturday as I was in Paris with Carmen BORG who must be exhausted from her travel and the huge walk we had through Paris
      If you could tell me what you got through your genealogist ... I wil tell you in private why there was no answer to your mail

      Josyanne

      De : fcsammut <fcsammut@...>
      À : Maltese_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Envoyé le : Mardi 14 février 2012 13h39
      Objet : [Maltese_Genealogy] Re: Re : XUEREB family from Tunis and Balzan for Frank

      Hi Josyanne,

      Yes, it was me; and, we did communicate a few times regarding Annunziato Borg.

      I have discovered a little more information since we were in contact, but not enough to advance my Borg family line.

      I discovered that Annunziato Borg and Maria Xuereb never got married; however, they raised a family together in Tunisia, having at least four children over many years. One of their children, Angelo, was born in Tunis, Tunisia in December of 1849. His older brother, Lorenzo Borg, was named the Godfather. Angelo's baptism record stated that his father, Annunziato, was free and had never been married; but, it also stated that his mother, Maria, was bound in marriage. Within the same document, it also stated that Lorenzo was the "legitimate" son of Annuziato.

      On the surface, this last statement seems like a very big contradiction because how could Annunziato have never been married but at the same time, still have a "legitimate" son? I'm not sure of the answer, but I have a theory. It is possible that perhaps Annunziato Borg had been previously married to someone else and had Lorenzo, but sometime later he got his marriage annulled. This way, in the eyes of the Church, Annunziato's first marriage never existed, making him free and never married, but yet his son, Lorenzo, was still considered "legitimate". This theory is possible based on Canon Law.

      I'm in the process of searching for Lorenzo's baptism record. I hope that if I am able to find it, that the document will give me another clue as to if his father, Annunziato, ever married before, and if so, who his wife was. This way I can search for their marriage and hopefully advance the Borg family tree based on their parents' names.

      At this moment everything depends on if I can find Lorenzo's baptism record. Without this information, I will probably not be able to go any further. I am now waiting for the Church in Tunis to respond, and I'm hoping for good news. This is where everything stands as of now. If you have any suggestions, I would be happy to hear them. Until then, I'll keep you posted on any progress that I am able to make. Thank you!

      Frank

      --- In Maltese_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "josyanne" <massajosy2002@...> wrote:

      > Hello Frank
      > is it you who posted that message for me in 2011 ?
      > I just saw it - and I donot know if I replied ?
      > do tell me if you were able to find connections ?
      > I am interrested by the Annuziato BORG
      >
      > Josyanne
      >
      > """""Hello,
      >
      > I came across your post regarding the Xuereb name. My 3rd great grandmother, Maria Xuereb married Annunziato Borg and were living in Tunis, Tunisia in 1843. They had a son, Giuseppe Borg, in that same year. In 1846 they gave birth to my 2nd great grandmother, Margarita Borg, in Balzan, Malta.
      >
      > I am not certain if they had originated in Tunisia and then relocated to Balzan or if they had only temporarily lived in Tunis and then returned to Balzan. There is no marriage record for them in Malta. And, as of today, I haven't been able to find a marriage record for them in Tunis. I have only searched one database on-line for their marriage in Tunis. That link is here:
      >
      > http://www.geneanum.com/tunisie/bases/mariages.html
      >
      > Last night I wrote to the Catholic Diocese in Tunis and haven't yet received a reply. I assume that they were Catholic, although I am not certain.
      >
      > I'm not sure of how or where to search next. I read about inquiring at l'Etat-Civil in Tunis, but also heard several stories of being directed back to the diocese. So I'm not sure if that would be a waste of time or not.
      >
      > In summary, Annunziato Borg and Maria Xuereb probably married in the late 1830s or early 1840s. And, as I had stated above, there is no evidence of them marrying in Malta. Their son was born in Tunis, Tunisia in 1843 and their daughter was born in Balzan, Malta in 1846. I'm aware of any other children, although it's quite possible.
      >
      > Would you possibly have any information for my ancestors that you might be able to share with me? Or, perhaps you might make a suggestion of how or where I might search next.
      >
      > Also, it would be very appreciated if you might be able to lend a little insight on the origin of each surname. I know Borg is common in Malta, but I don't know from where Borg or Xuereb originates.
      >
      > Thank you for any help that you might be able to provide.
      > Best regards,
      > Frank"""""""""

    • fcsammut
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 14, 2012
        Hi again Josyanne,

        Thank you for your quick reply. You're latest post is very intriguing. I will write to you privately. Thank you.

        --- In Maltese_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com, josyanne massa <massajosy2002@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > In summary, Annunziato Borg and Maria Xuereb probably married in the late 1830s or early 1840s. And, as I had stated above, there is no evidence of them marrying in Malta. Their son was born in Tunis, Tunisia in 1843 and their daughter was born in Balzan, Malta in 1846. I'm aware of any other children, although it's quite possible.
        > >
        > > Would you possibly have any information for my ancestors that you might be able to share with me? Or, perhaps you might make a suggestion of how or where I might search next.
        > >
        > > Also, it would be very appreciated if you might be able to lend a little insight on the origin of each surname. I know Borg is common in Malta, but I don't know from where Borg or Xuereb originates.
        > >
        > > Thank you for any help that you might be able to provide.

      • josyanne massa
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 14, 2012
          I had a look at your bapt act
          librero means free to marry =bachelor

          but he could have had children and legitimized them that is why Lorenzo his older son
          usually if they are married it is writen natural and legitime
          and when just "légitime"  that means he recognised the child

          it can be of interest to your act to know that Anna née GRIMA is the wife or Xaverio = Saverio MICALLEF  not married in Tunisia  but she died in 1885 in la goulette near Tunis
          they had a son Carmelo b in 1852
          josyanne

          De : fcsammut <fcsammut@...>

> [...]

          > In summary, Annunziato Borg and Maria Xuereb probably married in the late 1830s or early 1840s. And, as I had stated above, there is no evidence of them marrying in Malta. Their son was born in Tunis, Tunisia in 1843 and their daughter was born in Balzan, Malta in 1846. I'm aware of any other children, although it's quite possible.
          >
          > Would you possibly have any information for my ancestors that you might be able to share with me? Or, perhaps you might make a suggestion of how or where I might search next.
          >
          > Also, it would be very appreciated if you might be able to lend a little insight on the origin of each surname. I know Borg is common in Malta, but I don't know from where Borg or Xuereb originates.
          >
          > Thank you for any help that you might be able to provide.

        • Frank Sammut
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 14, 2012
            Hi Josyanne,

            Wow, that is very interesting. I didn't realize that the church would classify a child as "legitimate", if the father recognized him, even though the child might have been born out of wedlock. It seems that the Catholic Church has many different rules and exceptions.

            The local village priest in Balzan just informed me that he could not find Lorenzo's baptism in their records. So that is why I have now written to the Church in Tunis. I hope that they can find Lorenzo's baptism there. Otherwise, I won't know how to find more information on his father, Annunziato.

            It's very interesting to learn about Anna Grima too. It's interesting that she was also living in Tunisia, and died there. I guess the Maltese had a community of their own in that country.

            I'm sure that Carmen must be very tired from her traveling and running about Paris with you. So when she has more energy, I'm sure that she will write to me. She had told me that she would look for Lorenzo's passport application while she was in Utah last week. I don't know, yet, if she was able to find anything. If she was lucky, then perhaps I might have more clues for Lorenzo and his parents. If not, then I will have to hope that the church in Tunis finds his baptism for me. I will let you know what I discover.

            In the meantime, I would be very interested in learning if you are able to discover any information for my Annunziato Borg, from Bernard's two uncles. Also were you able to read my request to the Lanfrancos? Do you think you might be able to help me with any of that? I am willing to pay someone for that project, if they believe they can find accurate information.

            Thank you for your help and interest in my project. I look forward to hearing back from you when you have the time.

            Best regards,
            Frank
            fcsammut@...

            De : fcsammut <fcsammut@...>

> [...]

            > In summary, Annunziato Borg and Maria Xuereb probably married in the late 1830s or early 1840s. And, as I had stated above, there is no evidence of them marrying in Malta. Their son was born in Tunis, Tunisia in 1843 and their daughter was born in Balzan, Malta in 1846. I'm aware of any other children, although it's quite possible.
            >
            > Would you possibly have any information for my ancestors that you might be able to share with me? Or, perhaps you might make a suggestion of how or where I might search next.
            >
            > Also, it would be very appreciated if you might be able to lend a little insight on the origin of each surname. I know Borg is common in Malta, but I don't know from where Borg or Xuereb originates.
            >
            > Thank you for any help that you might be able to provide.

          • josyanne massa
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 16, 2012
              Annunziato BORG Marié 29 octobre 1814, Balzan, , , , , Malte, avec Margarita MALLIA ca 1800-/1854,
              ( she was dead before 1854 date when her son Salvatore married I certainly have the act some where and the family tree made by the LANFRANCO - which would explain why "your" Annunciato was said in 1850 to be "libreo"  and he did had a son Lorenzo by that first marriage)

              dont
              Hello Frank
              this is what I have on my tree
              I am absolutely convinced it is the same one as yours ???
              1/ both of them from Balzan
              2/years pratically the same
              3/ surname the same ...Annunziato and both had a son Lorenzo
              that is a bit much for a coincidence (? sorry about the spelling)

              I have no data base concerning that Parish

              the only thing would be to buy one of those films :
              Malta Study Center
              Some Frequently Asked Questions
              concerning BALZAN : I donot know how to search o this site ................do have a look

              De : fcsammut <fcsammut@...>

> [...]

              > In summary, Annunziato Borg and Maria Xuereb probably married in the late 1830s or early 1840s. And, as I had stated above, there is no evidence of them marrying in Malta. Their son was born in Tunis, Tunisia in 1843 and their daughter was born in Balzan, Malta in 1846. I'm aware of any other children, although it's quite possible.
              >
              > Would you possibly have any information for my ancestors that you might be able to share with me? Or, perhaps you might make a suggestion of how or where I might search next.
              >
              > Also, it would be very appreciated if you might be able to lend a little insight on the origin of each surname. I know Borg is common in Malta, but I don't know from where Borg or Xuereb originates.
              >
              > Thank you for any help that you might be able to provide.

            • Frank Sammut
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 16, 2012
                Dear Josyanne,

                Thank you for making the connection to your family. I am very excited by the possibility of "my" Annunziato Borg, being part of your Borg family. I agree, it seems to be too strong of a coincidence to not be the same Annunziato Borg.

                I hope that you can confirm my understanding of your message. Please tell me if I understand correctly. If I have a mistake, then please correct me. This is my summary of your message below:

                Annunziato Borg was born on 29 Octobre 1814. Annunziato married Margarita Mallia in Balzan. Margarita was born in 1800, and died before 1854. Annunziato and Margarita had a son together, named Lorenzo. Lorenzo was born in 1833. Lorenzo married Antonia Fiteni (same family of Bernard Farrugia).

                I also think that you implied that Annunziato was considered "Libero" in 1850 because his wife, Margarita, had already died. Because Margarita was dead, this allowed Annunziato to be considered "Libero".

                I contacted the village priest in Balzan, last week, regarding the baptism of Lorenzo Borg, in about 1834 or before. Unfortunately, the priest said that he did not have a record of Lorenzo's baptism in his registry. Now I have sent a request to the church in Tunis, Tunisia also inquiring about Lorenzo Borg's baptism. Annunziato lived in Tunis for many years. I don't know when Annunziato first moved to Tunis. So the church in Tunis might have nothing for Lorenzo. I should get a response in about one more month.

                Until then, please tell me what I should order from the Malta Study Center. Unfortunately, the Malta Center does not have any films from Balzan. If you are certain that films from Valletta contain the records that I am searching for, then I will buy them, but I don't want to spend that much money if we are not certain.

                Please tell me what else I should search for and I will try my best to do it. I look forward to your reply. Please also let me know if I understand your message correctly. Thank you!

                Best regards,
                Frank
                fcsammut@...

                De : fcsammut <fcsammut@...>

> [...]

                > In summary, Annunziato Borg and Maria Xuereb probably married in the late 1830s or early 1840s. And, as I had stated above, there is no evidence of them marrying in Malta. Their son was born in Tunis, Tunisia in 1843 and their daughter was born in Balzan, Malta in 1846. I'm aware of any other children, although it's quite possible.
                >
                > Would you possibly have any information for my ancestors that you might be able to share with me? Or, perhaps you might make a suggestion of how or where I might search next.
                >
                > Also, it would be very appreciated if you might be able to lend a little insight on the origin of each surname. I know Borg is common in Malta, but I don't know from where Borg or Xuereb originates.
                >
                > Thank you for any help that you might be able to provide.

              • josyanne massa
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 16, 2012
                  no annunziato is married in 1814 in Balzan
                  for the 3 sons married in tunisia I have
                  Salvatore = Sauveur Paolo b in 1820 place not given I suppose Saint Paul ?
                  Michel Annibale Luigi ....I have it somewhere
                  and lorenzo born in 12 jan 1833 in Valetta saint Paul

                  I have 9 generations more - basically always from Balzan since 1495

                  I am sending you in private 5 or 6 families tree

                  josyanne

                  De : fcsammut <fcsammut@...>