Research in Malta

  • lucyanncurling
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2012
      Hi everyone. I've just joined this group. I thought you might like to know about a specific bit of research I did on my recent visit to Malta. I was looking for information about the family of Rosa Rosalina Mallia. I already knew she was born in Siggiewi so I contacted the parish priest online via http://maltadiocese.org/lang/en/parishes/. He was very helpful and suggested I visited him at a specific time. I went along with my camera and he allowed me to photograph the original records not only for Rosa's baptism but also for the marriage of her parents. He had huge quantities of records going back to 1550. He said that the best records might be the Status Animarum which had to be completed at intervals by the parish priest, usually when he first started in the parish and then occasionally thereafter. He had to visit each house in his parish and record the names of everyone who lived there, their occupations and the 'state of their souls'. There is also an index for these records. I've asked him if I can go back when I have more time so that I can make a proper search of them. Sadly this won't be for some time.
      If anyone is going to Malta I can recommend this as a way of getting to see original records. LucyAnn
    • carmenborg@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2012
        Welcome Lucy Ann,

        Thanks for the bit of information you provided showing how you actually went about tracking down the item you werelooking for. A lot of people really don't know how to go about it. This is the reason why I started the group. People helping people .. I say.

        The Status Animarum that you refer to is actually their census records. So, for the record, Malta does have census records. The only problem is that to view them you either have to go directly to the parish in Malta OR you can actually purchase a DVD of them from the Hill Museum and Manuscript Library in Collegeville, Minnesota. I believe the fee is $65 plus shipping per film. The link is: http://www.hmml.org/centers/malta10/cathedral/parish.html.

        I visit them regularly. Everyone there is very helpful and kind. Their contact information is:
        Write to us at:
        Hill Museum & Manuscript Library
        P.O. Box 7300
        Bush Center
        Saint John's University
        Collegeville, MN 56321-7300 USA
        General E-mail:
        hmml@...

        Call or fax us at:
        Telephone: 320-363-3514
        Fax: 320-363-3222
        Tell them Carmen Borg sent you there.

        I hope this helps. Glad to have you as a member to our support group. Please spread the word.
        Happy Hunting

        --- In Maltese_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "lucyanncurling" <lucyanncurling@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone. I've just joined this group. I thought you might like to know about a specific bit of research I did on my recent visit to Malta. I was looking for information about the family of Rosa Rosalina Mallia. I already knew she was born in Siggiewi so I contacted the parish priest online via http://maltadiocese.org/lang/en/parishes/. He was very helpful and suggested I visited him at a specific time. I went along with my camera and he allowed me to photograph the original records not only for Rosa's baptism but also for the marriage of her parents. He had huge quantities of records going back to 1550. He said that the best records might be the Status Animarum which had to be completed at intervals by the parish priest, usually when he first started in the parish and then occasionally thereafter. He had to visit each house in his parish and record the names of everyone who lived there, their occupations and the 'state of their souls'. There is also an index for these records. I've asked him if I can go back when I have more time so that I can make a proper search of them. Sadly this won't be for some time.
        > If anyone is going to Malta I can recommend this as a way of getting to see original records. LucyAnn

      • Nicolas Vel
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2012
          Hello,

          The Status Animarum have been transcribe online on Geneanum.com
          http://www.geneanum.com/malte/bases/recensements.html

          Nicolas

          De : lucyanncurling <lucyanncurling@...>
          À : Maltese_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com