21Research in Malta

  • lucyanncurling
    Jan 7, 2012
      Hi everyone. I've just joined this group. I thought you might like to know about a specific bit of research I did on my recent visit to Malta. I was looking for information about the family of Rosa Rosalina Mallia. I already knew she was born in Siggiewi so I contacted the parish priest online via http://maltadiocese.org/lang/en/parishes/. He was very helpful and suggested I visited him at a specific time. I went along with my camera and he allowed me to photograph the original records not only for Rosa's baptism but also for the marriage of her parents. He had huge quantities of records going back to 1550. He said that the best records might be the Status Animarum which had to be completed at intervals by the parish priest, usually when he first started in the parish and then occasionally thereafter. He had to visit each house in his parish and record the names of everyone who lived there, their occupations and the 'state of their souls'. There is also an index for these records. I've asked him if I can go back when I have more time so that I can make a proper search of them. Sadly this won't be for some time.
      If anyone is going to Malta I can recommend this as a way of getting to see original records. LucyAnn
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic