Malankara World Journal Issue 140 - Focus: Christian Persecution And Discipleship

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2013

      The Malankara World Journal Issue 140 - Focus: Christian Persecution And Discipleship - (May 2, 2013) is available online at:

      TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 140
      Focus: Christian Persecution And Discipleship

      1. Foreword

      THIS SUNDAY IN CHURCH

      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday (May 5)

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Library/Lectionary/Lec_4th-sunday-after-new-sunday.htm

      3. Sermons for This Sunday (May 5)

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_4th-sunday-after-new-sunday.htm

      THEMED ARTICLES

      4. Prayer Request for Our Abdicated Bishops and Priests

      It has been more than 10 days since the kidnapping of the two Metropolitan Archbishops of Aleppo, Mor Gregorios Yuhanna Ibrahim of the Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch, and Paul Yazigi of the Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch. We still do not have any information about the whereabouts of these bishops They were abdicated while on a humanitarian mission on Monday, April 22, 2013 to have two priests released. ...

      5. Featured: No Servant is Greater than His Master

      Jesus promised his disciples the night before he was crucified that their lot was to be no different than His. Jesus said: "No servant is greater than his master. If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also!" ...The best, the greatest, the most significant benefit of persecution is that it brings Christ close in the life of the persecuted believer. You. Me. We get the opportunity to know Christ better! That is the great miracle of it! ...

      6. Regime Change and Christian Persecution

      A great deal of the ambivalence toward the so-called "Arab Spring" and the events in Syria comes from the concern over what will happen to the Christians in these countries. The overthrow of Saddam Hussein was followed, in very short order, by open war on Iraq's ancient Christian community. The ouster of Hosni Mubarak has accelerated the attacks on the Copts. Who knows what might happen to Christians in post-Assad Syria? ...

      7. Costly Discipleship

      To pick up the cross and follow Jesus means to be willing to go anywhere and do anything for your Lord. It means that you want God to do His will in and through you. There is a cost to being a disciple of Jesus Christ, but the end results are well worth it. ...

      8. Owned by Identity, Bought by a Savior

      Christ urged us to follow Him with the heavy weight of lumber slung across our shoulders (Mark 8:34). That image is one of ownership. Why else would we take up humiliation and hardship to struggle after a bloodied Lamb? It isn't an image of coercion, but of willingness. Just as the Messiah surrendered Himself to be crucified, we crucify ourselves to admit surrender. ...

      9. Orthodoxy is being destroyed in Syria

      By now, 138,000 Christians have been banished from their homes and, at the same time, Christian Churches are systematically destroyed. "They are killing people. A human life is of no value for them," in such words Bishop Luke is describing the situation in the country. ...

      10. Persecuted: Christians in a World of Trouble

      Across the world Christians are harassed, arrested, jailed, tortured, raped, beaten and killed. Their churches and homes are bombed or burned to the ground. And children are taken from their Christian parents lest they too become tainted with faith in Jesus. ...

      11. Facing Uncertainty

      Sometimes Jesus disguises exciting opportunities for personal growth as difficult circumstances. We would choose to avoid trials at all costs, but Jesus sees the bigger picture. ...

      GENERAL ARTICLES

      12. Very Rev. Dr. Kuriakose Corepiscopos Moolayil To Be Decorated With The Patriarchal Award Malphono de Mardutho (Doctor of Literature)

      13. Health: Get a Glowing Tan by Drinking Your Vegetables

      New research suggests that eating vegetables gives your skin a healthy golden tan color. A study led by Dr. Ian Stephen at the University of Nottingham revealed that eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables gives you more of a healthy golden glow than the sun, according to the journal Evolution & Human Behavior. ...

      14. Introducing Dr. Shila Mathew, MD., Food and Living Editor, Malankara World

      15. Recipe: Sweet and Spicy Pineapple

      Enjoy this as a side dish along with Dosha, idly or uppuma or even rice.

      16. Bonus Recipe: Strawberry Banana Smoothie

      Loaded with potassium, fiber, vitamin C and antioxidants, this simple smoothie recipe is the perfect pick me up.

      17. Family Special: It's the Little Moments that Matter Most in Marriage

      Things don't go bad in a marriage in an instant. The character of a marriage is not formed in one grand moment. Things in a marriage go bad progressively. Things become sweet and beautiful progressively. The development and deepening of the love in a marriage happens by things that are done daily; this is also true with the sad deterioration of a marriage. The problem is that we simply don't pay attention, and because of this we allow ourselves to think, desire, say, and do things that we shouldn't. ...

      18. Family Special: Teach Your Children Well

      Training children to love and to serve the Lord, to be compassionate toward others, and to have consistent walks of faith is the most noble and important work any parent can do. Therefore, we should find great joy in the fact that the Lord has called us and entrusted us to be parents! ...

      19. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/

      Malankara World Journal