Prayers of the Suffering and Dying Christ

  • shibu podiyan
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2013

      As Jesus was preparing for the death on the cross, He prayed:

      Luke 22:41-42: “And He was withdrawn from them about a stone’s throw, and He knelt down and prayed, saying, “Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.”

      As Jesus was dying on the on the cross, He prayed:

      Luke 23:46: “And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, “Father, ‘into Your hands I commit My spirit.’” Having said this, He breathed His last.”

      When Jesus prayed, “…not My will, but Yours, be done,” He sweated blood, Luke 22:44. Obedience takes all that we are, Heb. 12:4. Lord, help me to pray as you prayed in the hour of testing. Let us take up our cross today and follow you in your footsteps. May we not draw back from the cup you have prepared for us, Lord.

      When Jesus prayed, “…Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit,” He left for us a perfect example. In all our trials, especially if we suffer as if nearing death, we may pray: “Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit.” Let us note the words “into Your hands” – the hands that formed us from the dust! Lord, let me trust you all the way, even as Job did, Job13: 15-16: “Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him…” Let us learn to pray as you prayed at the point of death, and have the hope of sharing in your resurrection, Phil.3: 10-11.

      • These two prayers of Jesus will sustain us in all our trials, all through our life, all the way to the point of death; and we shall share in a glorious resurrection like His.

      • These two prayers of Jesus will keep us in the will of God especially when we are tempted and tired.

      • These two prayers of Jesus sum up a believer’s life of godliness and perfection.

      Thankful for your prayers,

      Luke Shibu Podiyan
      Washington, D.C.

      "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
      Watch your words, they become actions.
      Watch your actions, they become habit.
      Watch your habits, they become character.
      Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

    • shibu podiyan