Christian love " AGAPE"

  • jose_ua
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2013
      Dear Members,
      Our lord Jesus Christ taught us saying " " This is my commandment , that
      you love one another as I loved you". [ John 15:12 ].

      To fully understand Jesus' command to love one another, it helps to look
      at the Greek word for love most often used in the New Testament. For in
      the Greek language, unlike in English, there are four different words
      used for four different types of love. These Greek words are Storge,
      Philia, Eros, and agape.

      STORGE
      Storge is the Greek word for the love between family members. This is
      affection. Storge is most clearly evident in the love of parents for
      their children. Most parents are so devoted to their children's welfare
      that they are willing to sacrifice and do most anything, even unto
      death, for the sake their children. Storge is also the love children
      feel for their parents, as well as the love between relatives in an
      extended family. Storge is a committed, often sacrificial love. It
      doesn't expect too much, revives easily after quarrels, is
      unconditional, often overlooks the other's faults and frequently
      forgives. We often take the storge love of our family members for
      granted. Storge is the love where we can be comfortable and secure just
      being in the presence of one another. Just being together in comfortable
      closeness is often enough.

      PHILIA
      Philia is the love between good friends. Philia is also called
      "platonic" love. Philia is a chosen love, because we choose whom we will
      befriend - usually on the basis of shared interests. Philia is more
      conditional and less sacrificial than storge. Philia is less willing to
      continually overlook faults and frequently forgive others.

      EROS
      Eros is the Greek word for romantic/sexual love and is the root of the
      English word erotic. Eros is the passionate feeling of romantic
      attraction felt between two lovers. It is also associated with
      infatuation and lust. Unlike friends who stand side-by-side absorbed in
      some common interest, eros lovers are normally face-to-face absorbed
      with each other. Since eros is a passionate feeling and because we
      cannot decide what we will feel, we usually do not choose this type of
      love. That's why we say a man and a woman "fall in love." Eros ("being
      in love") usually just happens. Of course, this does not mean we must
      always give in to the desires of these passions. While we cannot decide
      what we feel, we can and should control what we do in response to our
      feelings.

      Passionate love is often expected to last throughout the many years of
      marriage but many young newlyweds are often surprised and disheartened
      when the "fires of passion" begin to decay. However, it is perfectly
      normal for this passionate love to diminish in intensity over time. What
      often takes its place in marriage and grows over time is the more
      secure, committed, and comfortable love of storge. Since feelings come
      and go, when a man and a woman get married they cannot promise to have
      passionate feelings of love for each other forever. Rather, what they
      can and should promise is a commitment of the will to the lifelong good
      of the other, no matter what lies ahead in their lives.

      AGAPE
      Agape is the word most often used in the New Testament to describe
      Christian love. Agape is made manifest in our acts of charity and
      service for others, including those who we may not even know or like.
      Agape is unconditional in that it does not expect anything in return.
      Unlike Eros, agape is not a feeling that just happens. Rather, like
      Philia, Agape is a chosen and committed love. Agape takes a decision of
      our free will, a commitment to act for the good of another. Like Storge,
      Agape is self-giving, sacrificial and unreciprocated love. It is the
      love Jesus made manifest for us on the cross.

      Agape flows from the abundant, overflowing, and unconditional love of
      God. After all, God is love. Agape is God's divine love made visible in
      our good works of charity and service. It is a joyful and spiritual love
      that grows in our lives by the grace of God. The Holy Spirit is the
      source of agape love. Agape is the love that Christians are called to
      manifest in their lives by unconditional acts of goodwill and charity
      for others, especially the poor and disadvantaged.

      s/d
      Jose
      Content from C.S. Lewis book, The Four Loves.