PRAYER FOR THE ALCOHOLICS

  • george
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2012
      Dear All,
      As we progress in observing the Advent Lent and prepare ourselves for the Christmas celebrations, I would like to share with you a `Prayer' for us to pray together.

      `O loving God who wishes that everybody should repent and attain salvation! We confess that the craze and craving for liquor which leads persons to suicides, families to quarrels and societies to perdition is caused by our sins. We admit that it is because the Church does not give the joy of the Holy Spirit that people run after the ephemeral pleasures of drinks. The contemporary Youth resort to drinks on Christmas, Easter and other feasts instead of seeking Thou, their Creator God, for they fail to experience the ecstasy of piety. Grant to them the grace to abstain themselves from drinking. May the Church train them to experience, right from their young days, the spiritual joy received from doing Thy will. We realize the fact that the drinks served as part of the celebration of the birthday of King Herod finally led to the beheading of St. John, the Baptist. Even today there are selfish persons who commit murder by serving liquor to others. O God! Kindly effectuate a change of mind in such evil persons. We understand from the holy Bible that the Babylonian King Belshazzar was killed on the witching hours of the very same night following the feast served with wine for the thousand invited guests at his palace. Let this be a lesson for all who serve liquor during the feasts. Let the writing on the wall as described in the book of Daniel, "You have been weighed on the scales and found wanting, "be a message to all who defy God by drinking on similar occasions. In the modern world where people die of starvation, let the alcoholics have a good conscience, let them pray and stop drinking before they become victims of this vice. Let everyone remember the verse, "No drunkard will inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Corinthians 6:10). Give us, O Lord, the insight to discern the fact that `alcoholism' is a sin, a bane and a disease. Let the movement for liberating people from liquor grow to the glory of the holy Triune God. Amen'.

      [Read, ponder over and meditate upon the following Biblical verses: Proverbs 20: 1, 23: 19-32, Joel 1:5, Galatians 5: 19-21, Ephesians 5: 15-21, Romans 12: 1-2, Daniel 5: 1-30, Mathew 14: 1-12, Ecclesiastes 12, 2 Peter 3: 10]

      (Courtesy to Dr. Geevarghese Mar Osthathios Metropolitan of blessed memory).

      With blessings+
      George Achen, Ireland.