St.Mary the Theotokos visit to Elizabeth (Ladies Day)

  • Punchakonam Achen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2012
      *St.Luke 1:39-56*

      ***Saint Mary *the Virgin is the* Mother of God, *the* Theotokos *(Luke
      1:43).* Theotokos *is a Greek word composed of two syllables:* `Theo' *
      meaning* `God', *and* `tokos' *meaning* `bearer'; *that is,* `she who bore
      God in her womb'.*

      *Mary* entered into the house of Zacharias, Which was in the hill country,
      to a city of Judah, and might be well known to her: and *saluted Elizabeth*;
      not Zacharias; either because he was not at home; or because he was deaf
      and dumb, and could neither hear her salutation, nor return it; or because
      it was not usual for women to salute men, nor men to salute women; See Gill
      on Luke 1:29, yet one woman might salute another; and especially Mary
      saluted Elisabeth, because she came to pay the visit to her, and it was
      with her she was principally concerned.

      The word Mary used to salute Elizabeth was* ‘Shalom’.*- Expressed great joy
      and gratification at seeing her, and used the customary tokens of
      affectionate salutation.

      ***Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost* - This is the *second reference
      * to a person *being filled with the Holy Spirit*.This seems to have been
      the accomplishment of the promise made by the angel, Luke 1:15, He shall be
      filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb. The mother is
      filled with the Holy Spirit, and the child in her womb becomes sensible of
      the Divine influence.

      The child in Elizabeth's womb, with immense joy responds to the presence of
      the Messiah inside of Mary.* filled with Holy Spirit. *

      The reference is in (Luke 1:35)* ** *The*Holy Trinity *was revealed in *Mary's
      Womb*

      "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will
      overshadow you. So the baby to be born will be holy, and he will be called
      the Son of God.(Luke 1:35)

      *The Holy Spirit and Son of God: *When I heard your greeting, the baby in
      my womb jumped for joy.

      "The mother of* my Lord* comes to me."Circle the words, *"my Lord*",This
      is the first reference in the New Testament to Jesus being called "*my Lord*.
      "Underline the word, "*my.*" The word, "my," is intensely *personal* and
      Luke wants you and me to know* Jesus as "my Lord."*

      St.John 20:28 which is the climax of the Gospel of John: St.Thomas
      answered him, "*My Lord and my God!"*

      On Mary's arrival, Elisabeth was conscious of the approach of her who was
      to be the mother of the great Redeemer. At the same time she was filled
      with the Holy Ghost, and under his influence declared that Mary and her
      expected child were most blessed and happy, as peculiarly honoured of and
      dear to the Most High God. Mary, animated by Elisabeth's address, and being
      also under the influence of the Holy Ghost, broke out into joy, admiration,
      and gratitude. She knew herself to be a sinner who needed a Savior, and
      that she could no otherwise rejoice in God than as interested in his
      salvation through the promised Messiah. Those who see their need of Christ,
      and are desirous of righteousness and life in him, he fills with good
      things, with the best things; and they are abundantly satisfied with the
      blessings he gives. He will satisfy the desires of the poor in spirit who
      long for spiritual blessings, while the self-sufficient shall be sent empty
      away.

      She spake out with a loud voice (ἀνεφώνησε φωνῇ μεγάλῃ)

      And she spake out with a loud voice,.... So as that all in the house might
      hear; she spake with great vehemency of soul, and strength of affection,
      being under a very powerful impression of the Spirit of God: and said,

      *“Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!*

      *Elizabeth was the first to proclaim Mary "blessed"* (Lk 1:45).The words
      "henceforth all generations will call me blessed" (Lk 1:48)

      * "Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou
      amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus...."*

      But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

      The mother of my Lord - The prophetic spirit, which appears to have
      overshadowed Elisabeth, gave her a clear understanding in the mystery of
      the birth of the promised Messiah.

      *Mary stayed with Elizabeth for about three months and then returned home.
      *(Lk 1:56)

      What gift did Mary bring to Elizabeth? she brought just one thing: *herself*
      . *She gave Elizabeth the gift of her very presence. *

      Mary's gift to Elizabeth is that *one should give not according to one's
      convenience but according to the needs of the receiver*.So Mary, as soon as
      she learned that Elizabeth was six months pregnant went with haste and
      stayed with her for about three months, meaning, *until she gave birth.
      Mary gave to Elizabeth what she needed when she needed it. That is the
      perfect gift.*

      Do you know one thing everybody needs today? Everybody needs *encouragement.
      * Everybody needs the *inner peace* and *joy* that comes from the Holy
      Spirit. This is what Mary's visit did for Elizabeth. *Mary's visit was an
      inspiration to Elizabeth*. When we visit people this Christmas, let us try
      to bring some inspiration into their lives, let us seek to bring them
      closer to God, and let us try to share with them the Spirit of God in us,
      the Spirit of consolation, of courage, of peace and joy, just as Mary did.

      *Oh ... Morth Mariam Yoldath Aloho (Mother of God) Pray for us. *

      May the prayers of the Blessed Virgin, the Holy Theotokos Saint Mary, be
      with us. Amen.

      Fr.Johnson Punchakonam
      <http://orthodoxtv.in/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Visitation.jpg>